Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Trunk pops on its own ?

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/13, 06:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Trunk pops on its own ?

Happened twice now, once I think I was stopped, or driving very slowly, today it happened again, driving down the road, all of a sudden I see "TRUNK AJAR" on the dash, I pull over and sure enough the trunk lid is popped.

It's always been hard to close, I pretty much have to slam it.

Today, before I re-closed it, I twisted the left side rubber stopper a full turn.
I only did the driver side since it looked to me like the trunk lid sat just a hair higher on that side.

No issues again for the rest of the drive (about 15 minutes)

Anybody else had this happen, and if so, what was the fix?

Thanks in advance
Old 3/19/13, 11:41 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Gabe
Happened twice now, once I think I was stopped, or driving very slowly, today it happened again, driving down the road, all of a sudden I see "TRUNK AJAR" on the dash, I pull over and sure enough the trunk lid is popped.

It's always been hard to close, I pretty much have to slam it.

Today, before I re-closed it, I twisted the left side rubber stopper a full turn.
I only did the driver side since it looked to me like the trunk lid sat just a hair higher on that side.

No issues again for the rest of the drive (about 15 minutes)

Anybody else had this happen, and if so, what was the fix?

Thanks in advance

Hey had this happen to me a ton of times in my 2005 when it was new. I live in KY so our roads are bumpy and did alot of improper take offs hehe

Anyway your problem is a combination of rough roads hard acceleration causing the latch to jump nothing to worry about just gotta live with it. I found if I shut it very slowly and gently it didn't come back open.

Hope this helps!
Old 3/19/13, 11:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
I twisted both trunk rubber stoppers into the lid a full turn, drove the car about 70 miles since, and the trunk's staying closed.

I turned the stoppers cuz the trunk was always hard to close, needing to be slammed.
It's easier to close now and if this helps the self-pop issue, then so be it, a nice side-benefit.
Old 3/19/13, 11:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have had my hazards come on by themselves and traction control turn off by themselves. The buttons are in the same place. It has happened 3 times but I just assumed I had to have jot them but never put my hands on that part of the car. Your post has me wondering.
Old 3/19/13, 01:22 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Trunk monkey needed air?