Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

rear view mirror rattle...again

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/17, 12:31 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
rear view mirror rattle...again

My 2011 GT Premium has yet another rear view mirror rattle...again. Sounds like a peanut in a tin can. Once at 10k miles, replaced under warranty. Again at 20k miles, replaced under warranty. Now it's jacked-up again, at (you guessed it) 30k miles. Obviously this is a very poorly designed part, that only lasts about 2 years. Not covered under 3/26 warranty, not covered under my ExtraCare extended warranty. FoMoCo (Dearborn) tells me 'no'. My dealer tells me 'no'. What do the Ford service reps on this forum tell me?...nothing, nada, zilch, zero, they don't even have the courtesy to respond to my PM. I'm talking about FordIVTteam, FordService, FordServiceCA . Thanks for nothing.
By the way, this is not the easily-fixed-rattle where the mirror mount meets the windshield. My rattle comes from the top of the mirror, where there is a plastic mechanism that kind of sticks out of the top, shaped like a curve.
Ps: anyone know if there are new Ford service reps on this forum?
Old 11/10/17, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry to hear. Not sure if you remember but I also replaced the rear view mirror under warranty a while back. Those annoying creaks. It seems though yours sound a little different. I’d assume the ExtraCare should cover issues such as this?

Joined the Mustang Club of America back in 2012. Someone from there recommended TMS and to look for Deysha. Funny, but my very first issue was the car getting too warm inside the cabin.

The calls Ford Regional Service Rep made did help to prioritize at the dealership but felt their role was quite limited. It was mostly how understanding/willing the Dealer Service Rep is. I got lucky with my Engine Shortblock. Ford wouldn’t have approved such costly repair otherwise.

I hear Deysha moved to another forum 6G. You might have a better shot there. FYI, my mirror started to get annoying again. Poor quality is what it is.
The following users liked this post:
PJRManagement (11/10/17)
Old 11/11/17, 02:58 PM

So this is actually the TOP of the mirror (I flipped it). This oval-shaped object is the cause of the rattle. I will stuff foam/glue into the tight edges to secure it, and see if that stops the rattle. I'll report back after a road test.

Old 11/12/17, 05:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
So this is actually the TOP of the mirror (I flipped it). This oval-shaped object is the cause of the rattle. I will stuff foam/glue into the tight edges to secure it, and see if that stops the rattle. I'll report back after a road test.

i was wondering what the difference was for your mirror vs mine... 3M makes a anti sqeak tape you could try if you can get the grill off. Black RTV might do the trick too
The following users liked this post:
PJRManagement (11/12/17)
Old 12/4/17, 11:45 AM

Okay, so I tried two methods, with SUCCESS. So I'm not sure if it's the combination that worked, or what, but no more rattle. I used black silicone around the top of the mirror. And also I wedged in some rubber O-ring material (#10) around the base of where the mirror connects to the windshield (this method has been posted by other users, thank you for that help). I hope this information helps others.