The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Repair and Service Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f804/)
-   -   Rear axle whine/howl/hum noise (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f804/rear-axle-whine-howl-hum-noise-536439/)

Fert Mosstank 3/31/15 06:07 PM

Rear axle whine/howl/hum noise

Today I dropped off my 2013 GT with 3:73 gears for the dreaded whine. It has 8k miles.

The whine begins at 50mph with any load and increases in pitch and intensity proportional to speed. It's loud enough that I hear it over the radio, unless I really crank it up. Coming off the throttle at those speeds results in complete silence with no whine.

Hopefully the dealer doesn't give me the runaround on this one and just goes straight to replacing the guts inside the pumpkin so I can enjoy my car again ASAP.

GBStang13 4/1/15 07:44 AM

I also took mine in for this issue... I am at 28k miles. Issue started at 10k. Wasn't as bad, anyhow the dealer should have my car done today ( 3 days ) so far and they are replacing carrier and pinion bearings.

laserred38 4/1/15 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fert Mosstank (Post 6914048)
Today I dropped off my 2013 GT with 3:73 gears for the dreaded whine. It has 8k miles. The whine begins at 50mph with any load and increases in pitch and intensity proportional to speed. It's loud enough that I hear it over the radio, unless I really crank it up. Coming off the throttle at those speeds results in complete silence with no whine. Hopefully the dealer doesn't give me the runaround on this one and just goes straight to replacing the guts inside the pumpkin so I can enjoy my car again ASAP.

Exactly what my car does. Exactly. I have yet to take it in though. Mine has done it since day one!

FordService 4/1/15 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Fert Mosstank (Post 6914048)
Today I dropped off my 2013 GT with 3:73 gears for the dreaded whine. It has 8k miles.

The whine begins at 50mph with any load and increases in pitch and intensity proportional to speed. It's loud enough that I hear it over the radio, unless I really crank it up. Coming off the throttle at those speeds results in complete silence with no whine.

Hopefully the dealer doesn't give me the runaround on this one and just goes straight to replacing the guts inside the pumpkin so I can enjoy my car again ASAP.

Hello Fert Mosstank,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service, and I’m glad to learn you’re having your dealer look into this for you. Please let me know what they say.

Originally Posted by GBStang13 (Post 6914233)
I also took mine in for this issue... I am at 28k miles. Issue started at 10k. Wasn't as bad, anyhow the dealer should have my car done today ( 3 days ) so far and they are replacing carrier and pinion bearings.

Thanks again for the update, GBStang13! Please let me know the outcome.

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 6914236)
Exactly what my car does. Exactly. I have yet to take it in though. Mine has done it since day one!

Be sure to bring it in as soon as possible, laserred38. Let me know when you do.

Deysha

Fert Mosstank 4/1/15 03:14 PM

Much to my dismay the service advisor called today and gave me the line about how the shop foreman who has more than 20 years experience found all of the tolerances in spec and found nothing wrong with the car. He told me not to worry about it because the car has another 3 years of drivetrain warranty and the gears aren't even broken in yet with only 8k miles (are you kidding me?...)

I've requested to speak with the service manager. I don't even know if I'd trust this dealership to do the job now even if I can convince their service manager to repair the car...

FordService 4/2/15 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Fert Mosstank (Post 6914394)
Much to my dismay the service advisor called today and gave me the line about how the shop foreman who has more than 20 years experience found all of the tolerances in spec and found nothing wrong with the car. He told me not to worry about it because the car has another 3 years of drivetrain warranty and the gears aren't even broken in yet with only 8k miles (are you kidding me?...)

I've requested to speak with the service manager. I don't even know if I'd trust this dealership to do the job now even if I can convince their service manager to repair the car...

You’re always welcome to bring it to any Ford Dealer for a second opinion, Fert Mosstank.

Deysha

Fert Mosstank 4/2/15 11:25 AM

So the service manager called me today. After some convincing, he said he would have the tech take the differential cover off and inspect the wear pattern. So that means the other day when they told me everything was factory spec that they didn't even look at the gears! Very discouraging at this point.

This is not my video but this is exactly what my car sounds like when coming on/off throttle:

GBStang13 4/2/15 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fert Mosstank (Post 6914652)
So the service manager called me today. After some convincing, he said he would have the tech take the differential cover off and inspect the wear pattern. So that means the other day when they told me everything was factory spec that they didn't even look at the gears! Very discouraging at this point.

This is not my video but this is exactly what my car sounds like when coming on/off throttle: 2011 Mustang GT 3.73 gear whine after several rebuilds - YouTube

Had that exact issue that started @ 10K and has progressed now @28K.

Took it in this last Monday, just picked it up today - Ford really took care of me and was able to service and replace carrier and pinion bearings.

Fert Mosstank 4/3/15 03:15 PM

Service manager called me today. Said the tolerance was measured with a dial and it's in spec, wont do anything to fix the gear whine...

Fert Mosstank 4/4/15 07:30 PM

So I picked up the car today after they took the cover off, inspected the gears (and did nothing), and refilled the differential with fresh fluid. When I pulled it into my garage it immediately stunk up the whole garage with the smell of gear oil. Either the differential is now leaking or the tech did the sloppiest job ever of filling it up and didn't bother wiping or cleaning off any spilled gear oil. Lovely.

I decided to take my own video of the whine with on/off throttle. What do you think, should Ford fix this?

keltymd 4/6/15 07:57 AM

Join us in our thread
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...speeds-535366/

Same thing something is wrong with the 373 gear setup from ford.

FordService 4/6/15 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Fert Mosstank (Post 6915532)
So I picked up the car today after they took the cover off, inspected the gears (and did nothing), and refilled the differential with fresh fluid. When I pulled it into my garage it immediately stunk up the whole garage with the smell of gear oil. Either the differential is now leaking or the tech did the sloppiest job ever of filling it up and didn't bother wiping or cleaning off any spilled gear oil. Lovely. ...

PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this for you, Fert Mosstank. You should also make another appointment with your dealer.

Deysha