Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rear axle noise

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/14 | 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

i have a 12 GT with 3.73 manual, mine does make a whine at the axle as well..
Old 12/21/14 | 12:01 PM
GT Member

When I bought my 2013 this July with 12,000 miles on it I noticed a slight whining from my 3:73 geared rearend. I questioned it at the dealer I purchased the car from and the service department said it is normal although I still was not satisfied with the answer. I drove it like that until September then I went to visit a friend of mine who had worked as a master teck at a Ford dealer for many years as I took him for a ride in my new car he right away said "You hear that! Your rearend is not correct!" He knew right off and gave me the name of a real good Ford teck who works at a Dealership about 40 miles away so I made an appointment to have him listen to the car and he knew right off it needed work. It took about two weeks the dealer replaced all the axle bearings and all internal parts in the pumpkin. It's perfect now extremely quiet at any speed and it was all covered under warranty. Find a good teck to give it a listen and get it fixed.
Old 12/30/14 | 09:34 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by Kestral
When I bought my 2013 this July with 12,000 miles on it I noticed a slight whining from my 3:73 geared rearend. I questioned it at the dealer I purchased the car from and the service department said it is normal although I still was not satisfied with the answer. I drove it like that until September then I went to visit a friend of mine who had worked as a master teck at a Ford dealer for many years as I took him for a ride in my new car he right away said "You hear that! Your rearend is not correct!" He knew right off and gave me the name of a real good Ford teck who works at a Dealership about 40 miles away so I made an appointment to have him listen to the car and he knew right off it needed work. It took about two weeks the dealer replaced all the axle bearings and all internal parts in the pumpkin. It's perfect now extremely quiet at any speed and it was all covered under warranty. Find a good teck to give it a listen and get it fixed.
That's great, Kestral! Thanks for the info!

Deysha
Old 3/6/15 | 12:21 PM
GT Member

any update any fix?
Old 3/19/15 | 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I am also hearing this noise.. It started even when my car had 10k on it.

Update: So I took my car for a nice cruise/inspection drive, and here is what I observed.

The noise is constant, it happens under load, or just plain coasting in neutral under any speed or RPM.

It sounds as if the Rear End needs more additive/lubricant.

I also happen to have a nice curvy road where i got to chance to test it going about 35 and having some sharp turns ( Bike / Car Course by a Mountain ) the noise is slightly prominent when i shift weight from rear tire to tire. ( AKA taking them turns )

As if the clutches are louder than before...

Got my 2PM apt tomorrow.

Deysha - I spoke to you before, and you got me in touch with our Area Manger - thanks I might need that same assistance as before, I will keep you posted.

Thank you,

Aleksandar

Another update: My car has the factory BASE Model Rear Diff. 3.32 If that makes any difference.

Last edited by GBStang13; 3/19/15 at 11:29 AM.
Old 3/24/15 | 01:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Anyone have issue where ford Denied service due to you having lowering springs? I spoke to my Service Manager who assured me that the springs will not be causing rear end damage or issue to the rear.
Old 4/1/15 | 07:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Finally took mine in for this issue... I am at 28k miles. Issue started at 10k. Wasn't as bad, anyhow the dealer should have my car done today ( 3 days ) so far and they are replacing carrier and pinion bearings. Hope this is it!
Old 4/1/15 | 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by GBStang13
Finally took mine in for this issue... I am at 28k miles. Issue started at 10k. Wasn't as bad, anyhow the dealer should have my car done today ( 3 days ) so far and they are replacing carrier and pinion bearings. Hope this is it!
Thanks for the update, GBStang13! Please let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 4/1/15 | 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Thanks for the update, GBStang13! Please let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Thanks Deysha, you guys have been always the best of taking care of me! Thank you FORD MO CO. I am excited that the car is done, will be picking it up tomorrow

Update: I got her home, even though i will miss the new 15 Escape ( great little car ) I think we will be buying one for the family for sure! Trading in our 328 BMW.

As far as grouchy goes... She has not drove better since the day i got her quiet and great as a kitten!

Last edited by GBStang13; 4/2/15 at 02:41 PM.
Old 4/1/15 | 09:21 PM
GT Member

I just want to know how you got it fixed so fast lol.
Old 4/2/15 | 06:30 AM

Thanks Deysha, you guys have been always the best of taking care of me! Thank you FORD MO CO. I am excited that the car is done, will be picking it up tomorrow
You're very welcome, GBStang13!

Deysha
Old 4/7/15 | 07:11 PM

Hey guys, I have the same problem since I got her out of winter, it whines at low speed and any speed, accelerate or not it does the same. I have an appointment monday at the dealer. But after reading all the post not too confident that they will find the problem....lets hope so.
Old 4/8/15 | 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by dantheman
Hey guys, I have the same problem since I got her out of winter, it whines at low speed and any speed, accelerate or not it does the same. I have an appointment monday at the dealer. But after reading all the post not too confident that they will find the problem....lets hope so.
Hello dantheman,

Glad to learn you already have an appointment set with your dealer. You should also contact our FordServiceCA Rep and PM your VIN, dealer, odometer reading, full name, and best daytime number for further assistance.

Deysha
Old 4/8/15 | 07:29 PM

Thanks Deysha...info sent to your contact as per requested.
Old 4/9/15 | 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by dantheman
Thanks Deysha...info sent to your contact as per requested.
Great! Thanks, dantheman!

Deysha
Old 4/17/15 | 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Hi deysha I just sent you an pm
Old 4/20/15 | 07:10 AM

Hi deysha I just sent you an pm
Thanks, GBStang13! I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 3/26/16 | 07:58 PM

Subject: Rear end whine. I had forgotten how long ago I first posted on this topic; it was Nov. of 2012. I had gotten my dream car in late August--a brand new GT, race red, convertible. However, after putting only 3800 miles on it, I began to notice a rear end whine. Unbelievably, it is now March 2016 and 20,000 miles later the "whine" I discussed on this forum and had told numerous dealerships about has finally made its presence known. I took it in for its oil change and AGAIN asked that a service tech take it for a ride to listen to the whine. Here was my experience prior to this: I was told the sound was my tires or was given a host of other excuses. I did indeed have very cupped Pirelli P Zeros tires; Pirelli did not stand behind them and blamed the problem on Ford's alignment. The cupping had gotten so bad that it masked the rear end whine. After putting on new Goodyear RSAs and having quiet tires once again, I realized how much worse the rear end whine had gotten. So during the recent service, the mechanic didn't need to take it for a ride; he discovered signs of oil vapor coming from the breather on the left axle tube of the rear end housing. He apparently thought this was the sign of a significant issue and advised me not to take it on the weekend trip I had planned. I have been telling Ford for 20,000 miles that there was a problem in the rear end of my car! This entire situation has been more than a frustrating experience for me and my husband. There is nothing like spending nearly 50 grand for a car to start having problems with less than 4,000 miles and not to have anyone take this seriously or to truly listen to us or our car. As things stand now, the car is going to the garage next week and will have the rear end dropped to see exactly what the problem is.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, what was the diagnosis and what was the resolution? If anyone has any advice, please share.
Old 3/27/16 | 08:29 AM

Is the noise a whine or a high pitched scraping metal on metal noise? I ask because I have a 2014 GT with a similar problem but when I recorded the noise from my trunk area it was definitely a scraping noise. Has nothing to do with the brakes and is the same in neutral as in gear, frequency changes with speed. Had it in to my dealer 3 times and its still not resolved. They replaced the pinion bearing and race and re-aligned the pinion angle, replaced the axle seals and inspected everything. Noise is still there but much more pronounced in cold weather. They have ordered a new diff housing now to try that but at this point, they're just swapping out parts trying to figure it out. Very frustrating. You mentioned oil vapor coming from the breather valve. That is normal under heavy use, like track use or very spirited driving on a hot day. But if you're getting axle fluid expansion during regular use then you probably have a friction issue in the differential, pinion or even a bent axle housing. Have they replaced the axle fluid and inspected the differential for you yet?
Old 3/27/16 | 09:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by drq2q
Is the noise a whine or a high pitched scraping metal on metal noise? I ask because I have a 2014 GT with a similar problem but when I recorded the noise from my trunk area it was definitely a scraping noise. Has nothing to do with the brakes and is the same in neutral as in gear, frequency changes with speed. Had it in to my dealer 3 times and its still not resolved. They replaced the pinion bearing and race and re-aligned the pinion angle, replaced the axle seals and inspected everything. Noise is still there but much more pronounced in cold weather. They have ordered a new diff housing now to try that but at this point, they're just swapping out parts trying to figure it out. Very frustrating. You mentioned oil vapor coming from the breather valve. That is normal under heavy use, like track use or very spirited driving on a hot day. But if you're getting axle fluid expansion during regular use then you probably have a friction issue in the differential, pinion or even a bent axle housing. Have they replaced the axle fluid and inspected the differential for you yet?
My bearings and pinion have been replaced twice, still have whine. I tried to get them to replace the axle housing, but Ford wouldn't authorize it. Now that I have the bags on, I assume I'm SOL on rear end warranty. Since day 1, I've felt that the axle housing was tweaked somehow. And now that they've replaced everything inside twice, and I still have whine, that's all I can think of - something has to be out of square back there. That or NO ONE who's touched the car, from the factory to the service techs, knows how to properly build a rear end, and frankly I wouldn't put it past all of them

Quick Reply: Rear axle noise