The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Repair and Service Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f804/)
-   -   Paint bubbling. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f804/paint-bubbling-504570/)

FordService 9/12/12 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by BaerwaldeStang (Post 6434975)
if you take your car to ford and they deny it, make sure they do not mark the damage as "environmental", apparently once that is done there is nothing Ford will do. I find this odd, given that the dealer saw the damage before and after it went thru the paint.
Deysha, the gentleman you had call tried to tell me the warranty is non-transferable. but when pushed, he couldn't produce that in writing

Hi BaerwaldeStang,

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Powertrain Warranty, and Corrosion Perforation Warranty stay with the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Afishinado (Post 6438208)
Wow... Disappointed to find this happening to our Mustang too, we just got it at Christmas.... Got two spots on the hood within a 3 week period. I'm worried that if I get it fixed in 3 weeks another will show up...

Afishinado, PM me with the info I mentioned on my previous post. I’d like to get this escalated for you as well.

Deysha

CNFLCTD 9/12/12 10:25 AM

Sorry to hear that you guys have been having this issue. My 2010 had the same thing. Luckily for me, the Service Manager at Packey Webb Ford took care of it...and then some. They repainted the hood completely. The hood had some pitting after the repaint and instead of saying 'that was the best they could do', they took the car back in fix it properly. In my instance he told me that this has become a standard issue for Mustangs and actually typically happens in one of two places, the hood and just above the front windshield. In both cases the common issue is that a rock will hit an area, cause a chip, and then as water/salt (chicago winters)/etc get underneath the chip it causes the bubbling. While I'm happy that mine got taken care of under warranty, I am extremely concerned about this happening again. My question to the FORD employee on the site is....if this is a pervasive issue, 1. why hasnt the design/material of the hood been altered to alleviate the issue and 2. why are so many people having issues getting this resolved via Ford Service?

Afishinado 9/13/12 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService (Post 6438871)
Afishinado, PM me with the info I mentioned on my previous post. I’d like to get this escalated for you as well.

Deysha

Deysha
I really appreciate any help you can give. I did send you a PM on 11sept at 12:14pm
Let me know if you didn't get it for some reason
Thanks again
Mike

FordService 9/13/12 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by CNFLCTD (Post 6438927)
Sorry to hear that you guys have been having this issue. My 2010 had the same thing. Luckily for me, the Service Manager at Packey Webb Ford took care of it...and then some. They repainted the hood completely. The hood had some pitting after the repaint and instead of saying 'that was the best they could do', they took the car back in fix it properly. In my instance he told me that this has become a standard issue for Mustangs and actually typically happens in one of two places, the hood and just above the front windshield. In both cases the common issue is that a rock will hit an area, cause a chip, and then as water/salt (chicago winters)/etc get underneath the chip it causes the bubbling. While I'm happy that mine got taken care of under warranty, I am extremely concerned about this happening again. My question to the FORD employee on the site is....if this is a pervasive issue, 1. why hasnt the design/material of the hood been altered to alleviate the issue and 2. why are so many people having issues getting this resolved via Ford Service?

Hello CNFLCTD,

I’m a customer service rep, here to help get any issues currently happening with customer’s vehicles resolved. Per the warranty guide included with your vehicle, Ford Motor Company will repair, replace, or adjust those parts that are found to be defective in materials or workmanship during the warranty period. A lot of these customer issues are after the warranty expires and become customer pay.

Originally Posted by Afishinado (Post 6439591)
Deysha
I really appreciate any help you can give. I did send you a PM on 11sept at 12:14pm
Let me know if you didn't get it for some reason
Thanks again

Thanks, Afishinado. I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha

RaceRed50 9/20/12 05:18 PM

Ford should've stayed with the composite hoods. Aluminum=FAIL.

ford4v429 1/10/13 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by RaceRed50 (Post 6445309)
Ford should've stayed with the composite hoods. Aluminum=FAIL.

I agree...the aluminum is light, but Ford obviously hasnt figured out edge prep yet...a shame this has been happening since the 05 came out. funny, miatas are all aluminum, never seen one with bubbled up paint yet.

my 06 went from waxed underhood to 2"x 2' wide blistered up mess under the front lip within a few months time at about 2 years old... once it starts, it can really race under the paint, from what Ive read, no real permanent fix as its between layers, comes back.

I put a Fang/Aeroform shaker on my 06, heavy as heck, but like the look.

my 4 mile (never registered- undriven) 09 has the corrosion too, had it the day it was flatbedded home. as its inside/undercover, only washed twice, so no moisture= it hasnt spread, but it sucks to see this on a new car... still love these cars, but shame on Ford for not figuring this out in 04.

Draconis 9/29/15 12:02 PM

I took my mustang into my local dealership for just this issue. Despite the fact that I have paint chips all over the front of the car only the two spots over the weld are "bubbling from behind " I was told that it was due to the paint chips. Not impressed with the service on a known issue my car is a 2011 daily driver

mustangray 9/29/15 02:37 PM

"I’m a customer service rep, here to help get any issues currently happening with customer’s vehicles resolved. Per the warranty guide included with your vehicle, Ford Motor Company will repair, replace, or adjust those parts that are found to be defective in materials or workmanship during the warranty period. A lot of these customer issues are after the warranty expires and become customer pay".

Sounds good but I've talked to many of my local dealers about this problem and they all say basically the same thing "there is no problem that Ford is aware of" I've owned a hand full of modern Ford vehicles and the only one that has this issue is my '13 Boss 302 I've showed it to one dealer who told me my hood must have been repainted and it had bad prep (and of course it's the factory paint) and he had never see anything from Ford about it, and yes my car is still under the base warranty . It's obvious that no one wants to pay for the repairs and they'll just drag there feet until enough time passes that very few cars will be left to have any repairs done.

dave07 9/29/15 04:25 PM

Deysha,

Can you get my case escalated again? I spoke with a Mrs. Layton that oversees the Pittsburgh region about 2 months ago. See authorized a hood replacement for the bubbling issues. I was able to schedule an appointment with my dealership which ended up being a month and a half out (September 15, 2015). The dealership called and canceled the Friday before my appointment. They said this was due to the part being on "national backorder". I wanted to confirm this with a customer service representative and see what the next step is. I tried contacting Mrs. Layton again through phone and email but she has not gotten back to me. Need some serious help here. This is getting frustrating.

FordService 9/30/15 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by mustangray (Post 6948334)
"I’m a customer service rep, here to help get any issues currently happening with customer’s vehicles resolved. Per the warranty guide included with your vehicle, Ford Motor Company will repair, replace, or adjust those parts that are found to be defective in materials or workmanship during the warranty period. A lot of these customer issues are after the warranty expires and become customer pay". ....

I’m happy to get this escalated for you, mustangray. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Originally Posted by dave07 (Post 6948358)
Deysha,

Can you get my case escalated again? I spoke with a Mrs. Layton that oversees the Pittsburgh region about 2 months ago. See authorized a hood replacement for the bubbling issues. ...

I’m happy to review it, and escalate it if needed, dave07. PM me with your info as well.

Deysha

Draconis 9/30/15 09:17 AM

It almost seems as if my dealership is trying to push this past the service deadline rather than deal with the paint issue. I bought my 2011 convertible, ordered it after seeing it at a car show actually and it was certainly one of the first in town. I have vinyl stripes on it and I think that will make the job cost much more to do. From the estimate I received they will have to re-do much of the stripes to fix the paint properly.

Greywolf21 10/4/15 01:40 AM

Dave, the hoods are probably on 'national backorder' because all of their hoods are defective due to the aluminum/iron contamination issue. I have the problem on a late 2014 mustang, so ford clearly did not fix the issue with hood corrosion right up to the end of the last model type in 2014, despite knowing about the issue since the early 2000's. Keep us posted as to what is happening with your situation.

Greywolf21 10/4/15 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by mustangray (Post 6948334)
"I’m a customer service rep, here to help get any issues currently happening with customer’s vehicles resolved. Per the warranty guide included with your vehicle, Ford Motor Company will repair, replace, or adjust those parts that are found to be defective in materials or workmanship during the warranty period. A lot of these customer issues are after the warranty expires and become customer pay".

Sounds good but I've talked to many of my local dealers about this problem and they all say basically the same thing "there is no problem that Ford is aware of" I've owned a hand full of modern Ford vehicles and the only one that has this issue is my '13 Boss 302 I've showed it to one dealer who told me my hood must have been repainted and it had bad prep (and of course it's the factory paint) and he had never see anything from Ford about it, and yes my car is still under the base warranty . It's obvious that no one wants to pay for the repairs and they'll just drag there feet until enough time passes that very few cars will be left to have any repairs done.

The problem is that the corrosion occurs in the seams of the hood - which means any repair that is done is temporary because you can't get inside the seams to remove the cause of the corrosion (iron metal particles inside the seams interact with the aluminum and cause the aluminum to corrode, which causes the paint on the aluminum to bubble off).

So even if you get ford to repair the bubbling paint, it's only a matter of time before the paint put on during the repair bubbles off because the source of the corrosion is still sitting inside the seams. Of course by the time it happens again, your warranty will be gone and ford can tell you to get lost and you're stuck having to repaint your hood every couple of years or be forced to replace it completely, on you own dime.

ford4v429 10/6/15 05:36 PM

you know the saddest part of this- Ford's own warranty:

"Ford Motor Company will repair, replace, or adjust those parts that are found to be defective in materials or workmanship during the warranty period."

the 'loophole' is the 'found' as these are all absolutely positively "defective in materials or workmanship" and the problems start long before the warranty ever expires- the problem is, 99.9% of the time, its not 'found' until the top lip of the hood has herpes- even though the undersides have obviously failed years earlier (even brand new- look at the auto show pics of corrosion on brand new cars displayed).

Ford has known for a long time they put defective hoods on the 2005-2014 cars, and never really fixed the issue a decade after the first TSBs were issued, but as long as us buyers dont 'find' it before the 3/36 they think they did a adequate job...
it is simply what happens when lawyers and accountants replace pride in a corporation- "good enough" becomes easy when you disregard buyers reasonable expectations.

I've been a 'ford guy' all my life, always will be- difference is Ive bought my last new one.

My bought new 93 F150's gray paint started peeling at 4 yrs- a lot of manufacturers did though back then
My bought new 98 windstar had all the typical stuff- head gaskets, tranny issues, rust, rust, more rust- just wrote it off as a poorly engineered product, it happens
Then theres the three new mustangs... 06,07,09, wonderful, cars- when the 06 hood failed, I wanted a shaker anyways...when the wifes 07 hod failed, i tried to fix it, as it started bubbling elsewhere, repaired again-this time took hood off, POURED paint inside and sloshed around like youd seal a gastank- so far so good, but by then I was getting pretty pissed at ford as reading daily abut them screwing over loyal buyers if at all possible... but then the 09.... never EVER been on the road, washed twice in 6 yrs, 4 miles on its absolute virgin body and the **** hood starts bubbling. picking the paint off that absolutely virgin Ford product broke something in me. Ive given Ford a lot of breaks opinion-wise over the years, but am no longer- they obviously could care less about reasonable customer expectations of the quality they put out, and their blatant nose-thumbing at loyal buyers has sealed it for me. the 5 new Fords ive purchased in my lifetime will be the ONLY 5 new ones in my lifetime.
I can fix about anything, but not original factory baked paint. if I'm gonna have to repaint a car, might as well rebuild/restore one for a lot less than the new ones, but at least then I will be able to expect the thing to last pretty indefinitely with enough care. when new Fords are self destructing at the auto shows, or corroding without ever being driven??? stuff happens, but how a company deals with it says it all- and it says to me ford corporate dont give a **** as long as it barely squeeks thru warranty.

our 65 LTD has its original hood paint, as does my 69 mustang, my 2000 mercury, my 2002 mercury, the wifes 07 chevy avalanche... all the other cars i have owned/gotten rid of too- never had underside of a hood peel/blister...salt exposure/stone chips, etc, yeah Ive had to repaint a few, but that was as expected due to wear/tear/environmental abuse of Ohios salted roads- but I take pretty good care of our cars, never had a hood bubble on the underside at ANY age, till the otherwise great mustangs came along... having to screw with paint on a car thats been well cared for is not acceptable. having it happen on new ones a decade after the manufacturer knew about the issue???

future NEW ford purchases for me are as over as this rant.

houtex 10/7/15 05:46 PM

Ok then.

Tell us when you stop buying everything, because with that kind of :mad: you won't have anyone to buy from given enough time.

I love these kinds of things. It's awesome, because you've taken out one entire brand because of one defect in one part. Sure, Ford's being an (other word for donkey) about these hoods, but if that's the biggest concern (and yes, it's mighty...)

I'm not not buyin' them in the future.

I would rather have the Ford than a Chevy or Dodge or many other makes because I'm just not terribly impressed with them as a replacement. And I know Ford best. I don't know those other guys.

And ain't ONE of them has a decent cruise control so far as I can see. I'm in a rented Challenger and while the wheel overall is nice... that cruise (uses negative pressure to cause a siphoning situation). It hunts a little before settling, and the buttons are weird... who puts the on/off in the *middle* of the control set?! Apparently, Chrysler does. (Although, I have to admit, I do like the 'Cruise Set at 40MPH' or whatever and it goes up/down 1MPH on the buttons... nifty lil' dashboard system, really.)

Cruise is a big awesome that Ford makes, ya ask me. And as long as the other guys have (siphons with a large amount of negative pressure) cruise control systems... I think I can get past a hood paint situation.

And I have.

But only because I"m gettin' a Cervini Cobra R hood for Awesome, and I can't freakin' wait to see her in about a week or so... I hope. There was a list of things. So... yeah.

Anyway. I'm sure Ford is quakin' and all, but I support your decision, regardless of this post. :nice:

/RE: other Challenger issues... My goodness, them teeny mirrors and the *GIGANTIC* sail panel... and the high sides what make for a small rear window... It's a lil' scary to back up in it, to be honest... And the seats... they are not very comfortable. The tilt is weird, and it sits too low for my comfort. Then again, cars aren't made for my demographic (short legs.) Le sigh.

14Glassback 10/7/15 07:08 PM

So those of you who have had the hood replaced... Did the body shop paint just the hood? Or blend into the fenders also?

Getportfolio 10/7/15 07:26 PM

My hood was repainted but only the underside. They carefully sanded and painted so well that the blend to the top is seamless. I will say it looks great.

However, I can only pray that the corrosion won't return. I won't be as angry if it does because of the effort that was put into the repair. It's like thick smooth glass underneath now. Such a contrast from the hair thin splotchy original paint application.

ford4v429 10/9/15 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by houtex (Post 6949312)
Ok then.

Tell us when you stop buying everything, because with that kind of :mad: you won't have anyone to buy from given enough time.

I love these kinds of things. It's awesome, because you've taken out one entire brand because of one defect in one part. Sure, Ford's being an (other word for donkey) about these hoods, but if that's the biggest concern (and yes, it's mighty...)

I'm not not buyin' them in the future.

I would rather have the Ford than a Chevy or Dodge or many other makes because I'm just not terribly impressed with them as a replacement. And I know Ford best. I don't know those other guys.

And ain't ONE of them has a decent cruise control so far as I can see. I'm in a rented Challenger and while the wheel overall is nice... that cruise (uses negative pressure to cause a siphoning situation). It hunts a little before settling, and the buttons are weird... who puts the on/off in the *middle* of the control set?! Apparently, Chrysler does. (Although, I have to admit, I do like the 'Cruise Set at 40MPH' or whatever and it goes up/down 1MPH on the buttons... nifty lil' dashboard system, really.)

Cruise is a big awesome that Ford makes, ya ask me. And as long as the other guys have (siphons with a large amount of negative pressure) cruise control systems... I think I can get past a hood paint situation.

And I have.

But only because I"m gettin' a Cervini Cobra R hood for Awesome, and I can't freakin' wait to see her in about a week or so... I hope. There was a list of things. So... yeah.

Anyway. I'm sure Ford is quakin' and all, but I support your decision, regardless of this post. :nice:

/RE: other Challenger issues... My goodness, them teeny mirrors and the *GIGANTIC* sail panel... and the high sides what make for a small rear window... It's a lil' scary to back up in it, to be honest... And the seats... they are not very comfortable. The tilt is weird, and it sits too low for my comfort. Then again, cars aren't made for my demographic (short legs.) Le sigh.

yeah, I know- Ford could care less...

the thing that has me 'unsold' was not just our three at all- I love the cars- but still seeing folks having to deal with getting help of assistance on a known defect- it just says a lot about Fords mentality towards customers. look thru the auto show pics i put up, 60k trucks with blistered paint/aluminum cracks at the auto show?
a restored car can cost less than a new one, what good is a warranty if they wont cover defects? thank God it wasnt quarters or rockers, just a hood- but when I read of folks still dealing with this crap a decade after Ford for sure knew about it... it just gets my blood boiling. these aint typical grocery getters, they are typically more 'enthusiast' cars, the kinds of cars that were bought for more than just the pricetag or mpg...these are a lot of folks pride and joy type of things, and when a company like Ford would rather weasel out of a proper paint prep because a bean counter says its cheaper to just pay those that find it before the 3/36...I dont care if its a bottom end festiva, these cars are more than transportation to a lot of owners- and Ford dont care if they put crap paint work out, long as average time to notice is after warranty.

3 years at the auto shows, STILL see the same clearcoat breaks under the hoods from clearcoat adhering to racking- sent pics to corporate, showed to several show folks at the three shows, showed a few dealers locally- none of them care, its just a car if you nit-pick any of them close enough you'll find things, quit whining...Deysha forwarded some pics to guys on the lines, but its sad- aside from social media folks, or extreme higher ups at ford, noone in the middle seems to care...some of the crap displayed at the auto shows HAD to pass inspection by at least several levels at the factory, yet there they were on display, wearing paint that a Earl Schieb painter wouldnt have missed...

constructive criticism to todays bean counter corporations is completely useless- the sloppier they can get away with, the more pennies they get.

I seriously think this hood issue could have been fixed in 2005 at well under a buck a car, and you wouldnt see bubbling under the hood(or on top) of EVERY S197 produced...yet 2014's are going in for same old stuff...

I'm just one buyer, and I've done the best I could to suggest ford make some minor process improvements, got as far up the food chain as Field's office...

if quality were truly ANY concern, this wouldnt still be ruining the irreplaceable factory baked original paint on a person's pride and joy 2014 Ford... Fords mentality is 'if' caught, 'fix' it. find someone that would be happier with a repaint on a year old car than a proper paint job originally.

ford has screwed themselves in my opinion- its just a car, just a hood, its not gonna kill me that I know of- but Ford's 'good enough' attention to production flaws is gonna cost sales I'm sure... maybe only the few more new cars I might have bought down the road, maybe a few others soured by the joys of dealing with ford on warranty issues they shoulda simply eliminated years ago... whatever the 'cost' of repairing a few near the end of warranty over pennies a car to fix THE flawed process, bean counters cant seen to quantify the costs to ford of every rotted out windstar, every explorer/mustang/other 'hood herpes' rolling billboard on the road.

I keep cars too long to accept paying todays prices to a manufacturer who is fine putting out 3 year paintjobs.

cars keep costing more, now even a very high end restoration can be on par with a new one that might peel in 3 years? at the auto shows, best 'big3' paint was by far Chrysler and gm compared to ford- but still hyundai/scion blew them away too. when the 'cheap' manufacturers take more pride in their product than Ford, its just sad.

I would DARE any ford mid/upper managers that might care in the least about their products, to take 10 minutes at any hyundai dealer, pick ANY one random hyundai, look closely at every hood/door/rocker/trunk/quarter hem sealing and painting... on even the absolute cheapest one on any lot...PLEASE, nit-pic the heck out of it- I dare you.
then go look at what your lines are putting out, after the final inspection stations, or at the fanciest dealer you have, pick any random Ford product and observe the quality of all/any of those seams compared to hyundai - even on the most expensive/loaded thing you built put out...
please share results with the line QA folks- if you dont decide just to fire them.

fords hem prep quality outright sucks and they are apparently alright with it- even when it has directly caused a decade of mustang hood paint failures.

its their choice to say whats good enough, its our choice to agree or walk away.

Anyways, on a lighter note- my seatback release lever broke today- inside of the seat though...guess I'll go out and dissect it a bit :) 74,500 miles clicked over today- still the best car Ive ever owned.
to those others pissed about their hoods peeling, dont toss the baby out with the bathwater- get a aftermarket hood, keep it for the long haul. mines gonna turn ten in a couple months, love love love that car- shame on Ford for not caring about paint prep on such a wonderful car.

for me, not having any faith in the factory paint lasting takes away from the single biggest 'draw' to buying a new car... the better painted challenger - yeah, even though a mopar:( - is calling louder everyday, just out of garage space here :)

and Houtex- cant wait to see that Cervini hood- know youve been eyeing it for a while- and know its gonna make ya love the car even more :)
maybe I'll rent a challenger for a few days to really kick the tires...ive sat in a few, didnt seem that bad, but rear seat legroom looked pretty tight- you can slide the front seats back till it touches the rear??? kinda odd- but at my height, the kids still fit pretty well- and will be down to one rear passenger soon- 16-17-19 yr old sons are driving themselves, our 7 yr old will be out of a booster soon...man time flies

mustangray 10/9/15 06:41 PM

Well I took my car in on wed. and Ford approved the repair of my hood and it should be done by the end of next week (the dealer body shop is backed up at the moment)
Thank you Deysha for getting me off my butt and getting this done .

FordService 10/13/15 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by mustangray (Post 6949532)
Well I took my car in on wed. and Ford approved the repair of my hood and it should be done by the end of next week (the dealer body shop is backed up at the moment)
Thank you Deysha for getting me off my butt and getting this done .

Great!! You're very welcome, mustangray!

Deysha