Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

No Oil!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/11, 08:29 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will be interesting. Obviously, the dealer will need Ford's blessing to fix under warranty.

The real state if wear will not be known unless the engine is dismantled. Not a good situation. Piston walls could be scared, bearings worn.

Best outcome would be a redo but I seriously doubt Ford will offer that option.
Old 8/14/11, 12:28 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by big_ole_truck

Piston walls could be scared, bearings worn.
I would be surprised at that - unless the OP drove it several times with the "noise". OHC's typically rattle in the valve train first if you're 2 qts+ low on oil - long before mains are anywhere near oil starvation or piston walls are scuffed.
Old 8/15/11, 01:22 PM

Ok...Roadside Assistance picked up the car this morning. The dealer service advisor just called and said they confirmed that there was no oil showing on the stick, but the technician drained 4 quarts out of the car. Is this possible? He said Ford advised them to perform and oil change and a few more tests and I should be able to pick up the car in the morning. Opinions please!!!
Old 8/15/11, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

hope it is alright

if everything is ok, just check the oil periodically, like every 500 miles or so

it doesn't matter what the car cost, it won't check itself

save yourself the aggravation of getting the car towed, handled at the dealership and of course being unable to use it
Old 8/15/11, 01:43 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Then you need to have it changed at least every 3 hours and 36 minutes. On average.
Stopping that frequently for oil changes would make it difficult to drive one millions miles a month. Unless of course you did not mind speeding.
Old 8/15/11, 02:04 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by cd4537
Ok...Roadside Assistance picked up the car this morning. The dealer service advisor just called and said they confirmed that there was no oil showing on the stick, but the technician drained 4 quarts out of the car. Is this possible? He said Ford advised them to perform and oil change and a few more tests and I should be able to pick up the car in the morning. Opinions please!!!
During my Lotus DOHC years, it was using quite a bit of oil at 100k. I have heard the valve train rattle. I later did a valve job and put hot cams in it, and there was no damage to the old cams from the few times it got too low and I pulled over and added oil. (That experience has me having a qt of oil in the trunk of every vehicle at all times. )

So I don't know how long you kept driving it when you heard the noise, but here's my thought:

It was probably the valve train rattling because oil flow was getting intermittent to the heads and the TiVCT. Maybe the "hydraulic lash adjusters" (lifters) were rattling and/or the finger followers (that lever from the cam lobe to the valve stem). I would highly doubt you have any damage to the crank bearings or the cylinder walls - which is pretty much confirmed because you didn't get any signs of low oil pressure, warning light, or safe mode (low oil also increases heat and overheating triggers safe mode) - and you still had 4 qts.

If you want to be extra sure that no damage was done, you could have them pull the cam covers off and inspect cam lobes to see if there is any undue wear or markings.

If you shut it off pretty much as soon as you heard the noise, you're probably fine to just drive it - but keep an eye on that oil level until you figure out if its leaking, burning, or the factory didn't fill it full enough.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/15/11 at 06:03 PM.
Old 8/15/11, 02:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
My thoughts

Does that mean you were at least 3 qts. low?
(If it takes 8 and they drained 4 and had a quart in the filter.)
That is still not empty, thank goodness.
My theory:
They didn't fill it properly at the factory (6qts. like the '10 model).
No one at the dealership actually checked it (like they are supposed to).
It burned a quart during break-in.
Old 8/15/11, 02:54 PM
Cobra Member

Definitely ask them who did the preinspection and if it was really done. Ask them for the inspection sheet. If it was done, a lazy *** obviously pencil whipped the list without doing the job.
Old 8/15/11, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
He's got nothing to worry about...there is absolutely nothing in the manual that states you are required to check the oil every level every couple hundred or thousand miles...
tells you to check it every month on page 323

I went through 4 quarts in the first 5K miles. One quart in the next 3500 after the oil change to full syn @ 5K.
Old 8/15/11, 04:11 PM
Post *****

wow... those 5.0's use some oil.

It doesn't matter what the silly book says - its what your engine says. Once you've established regular usage, its just common sense to keep an eye on it between that pattern, so as to catch any surprises.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/15/11 at 04:15 PM.
Old 8/15/11, 05:53 PM
Bullitt Member

4 quarts in 5000 miles is not normal.
Old 8/15/11, 08:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have 12500+ and it has never used a drop of oil, from day one. I have done three oil changes, one at 2800 miles to get the factory stuff out, and I had the dealer do one at six months for warranty purposes, and I just did another my self, all synthetic, with my changes using Mobil 1. Everyone is right, you need to check your oil on a regular basis. A good practice, fill up with fuel on the way home from work or school. Next morning check the oil before you drive. If you get into the habit, it will become natural.
Old 8/15/11, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by MRGTX
+1 to Eric. Typically a dipstick only shows the top quart or lack thereof.

That's a negative ghost rider.

I had to watch my oil the first 5k miles and ended up putting 3, yes 3, quarts of oil into the engine to keep it in the full range. Since the first oil change done by the dealership at 5k it's been ok, at 9200 miles now and only had to add 1.5 quarts.
Old 8/16/11, 08:03 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
About 2 blocks from my house and i hear a noise from my 2012 5.0. Sounds like a stick being placed into a metal fan. Got home and checked the oil...ZERO oil on the stick!!!!
He's got nothing to worry about.
My motor burned through about 1-quart every 5,000 miles. Now that my car has about 18,500 miles on it, the oil consumption has stopped.
Thank you for your input kn7671
Ok...Roadside Assistance picked up the car this morning. The dealer service advisor just called and said they confirmed that there was no oil showing on the stick, but the technician drained 4 quarts out of the car.
Sorry to hear about this, cd4537! If this has not been resolved, please message me with your dealer, VIN, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
Old 8/16/11, 07:44 PM

Thanks Deysha. Well today has come and gone..no word on my car. My Ford service advisor was pretty confident I could pick my car up today after an oil change and a few more tests that Ford wanted them to run. He never even called. I called him late this afternoon and he was gone for the day. The person who answered the phone told me my car was NOT ready for pick up...and that they couldn't provide any additional details. Don't want to jump the gun, but I'm getting the feeling something is wrong. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Old 8/17/11, 12:36 AM

We've seen lots of reports about how this new 5.0 motor appears to be burning oil during break-in, and until Ford puts out a TSB or Recall, we just need to work through the problems.

My motor burned through about 1-quart every 5,000 miles. Now that my car has about 18,500 miles on it, the oil consumption has stopped.
My 2011 5.0 has almost 15,000 miles on it and is due for its 2nd oil change (1st oil change was at 7,500 miles). At almost 15,000 miles on the odometer, it has used 3/4 of a quart of oil in 7,500 miles. That's pretty good, in my opinion. I'd be happier if it used none in 7,500 miles, but I'm okay with 3/4 quart.

Originally Posted by cdynaco
What if I drive a million miles a month?
Then you need to have it changed at least every 3 hours and 36 minutes. On average.
ROFL
Old 8/17/11, 11:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless something has changed since my days at the dealership, 1 quart every 900 miles is considered 'normal'. That was the standard used during the late 80's for the re-ring TSB on the 302's.
Old 8/17/11, 12:03 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by phiggs54
Stopping that frequently for oil changes would make it difficult to drive one millions miles a month. Unless of course you did not mind speeding.
Hadn't thought of that.

Allowing 6 minutes for an oil change then you would need to drive at an average rate of 1,428.57 mph to amass that 1 million miles a month.

As far as fuel goes, your just gonna have to refuel while driving.
Old 8/17/11, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dread53
Unless something has changed since my days at the dealership, 1 quart every 900 miles is considered 'normal'. That was the standard used during the late 80's for the re-ring TSB on the 302's.
Tolerances in engine building are many orders of magnitudes tighter than they were in the 80s. In can imagine losing a quart or two over the course of the first 10,000 miles, but a quart every 900 miles would be insane!

JR
Old 8/17/11, 12:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Allowing 6 minutes for an oil change.....
I'm bringing my car to you for my next oil change. My last one took me at least 60 minutes.

Quick Reply: No Oil!!!!