Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

*MT-82* 2nd gear issues (locked in)

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/13, 07:42 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*MT-82* 2nd gear issues (locked in)

When I'm in 2nd, I'll go to shift out of 2nd and it won't let me. It locks into 2nd gear. I will then try again a half a beat later (clutch still engaged) and it shifts smooth as silk. It seems to happen most after a bit of spirited driving. I took it to the dealer yesterday and we couldn't recreate it. It only happens sometimes.
I could really use some help because I'm less than 10k miles until my warranty expires. I've tried using the search function but wasn't able to pull anything up.
Old 4/19/13, 12:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Sorry, but that's one I've never heard of and I've read way too many MT-82 complaint threads so would guess I'd have seen it if discussed. Weird one!
Old 4/20/13, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Skip shift feature ?
Old 4/24/13, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe it is a clutch problem. Many threads about an ineffective clutch at high RPM. My 2013 5.0 is very consistent: if I try to shift from first to second or second to third or third to fourth at 6800 or higher, the clutch pedal goes to the floor and stays, and the clutch is still engaged, so I can't move the lever out of the lower-gear slot, so naturally enough, can't select a higher gear. When the engine is able to slow down, the clutch returns to normal operation. Very embarrassing to blast off and coast for a while...

From what I've read, skip shift nudges the gear lever into the 3-4 slot when shifting out of first at very low RPM and speeds, from a dead stop, engine fully warmed. Not impossible to overcome, but disconcerting if you're not paying attention.

Has to do with Corporate Average Fuel Economy. Discontinued by the time the 2013 models hit the market.
Old 4/25/13, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Unplug the skip shift at the tranny so it is never a question.....my '11 shifts perfect at any speed which I test every time I drive it.....
Old 4/27/13, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Defiant 5.0
When I'm in 2nd, I'll go to shift out of 2nd and it won't let me. It locks into 2nd gear. I will then try again a half a beat later (clutch still engaged) and it shifts smooth as silk. It seems to happen most after a bit of spirited driving. I took it to the dealer yesterday and we couldn't recreate it. It only happens sometimes.
I could really use some help because I'm less than 10k miles until my warranty expires. I've tried using the search function but wasn't able to pull anything up.
Stay in second until it redlines a couple times. Your car will think twice before locking you out again after that.
Old 5/2/13, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by frank s
I believe it is a clutch problem. Many threads about an ineffective clutch at high RPM. My 2013 5.0 is very consistent: if I try to shift from first to second or second to third or third to fourth at 6800 or higher, the clutch pedal goes to the floor and stays, and the clutch is still engaged, so I can't move the lever out of the lower-gear slot, so naturally enough, can't select a higher gear. When the engine is able to slow down, the clutch returns to normal operation. Very embarrassing to blast off and coast for a while...

From what I've read, skip shift nudges the gear lever into the 3-4 slot when shifting out of first at very low RPM and speeds, from a dead stop, engine fully warmed. Not impossible to overcome, but disconcerting if you're not paying attention.

Has to do with Corporate Average Fuel Economy. Discontinued by the time the 2013 models hit the market.
Quite a few are experiencing the clutch pedal problem, as you mentioned. Appears to be an OEM clutch fluid line restriction. There is a larger steel braided upgrade available for about $60. Others opt to remove the pedal assist spring to give them that conventional (stiffer) clutch feel. Here's one of the forum discussions on the issue:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...l-problem.html

Last edited by Missouri Hoss; 5/2/13 at 11:26 AM.
Old 5/2/13, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeyt03
Stay in second until it redlines a couple times. Your car will think twice before locking you out again after that.
Eckshly, that's when the clutch pedal locks to the floor and I'm stuck in gear with no option but to coast or brake to lower speed/RPM, when at about 3,000 RPM I can once again control the shifter.

You reckon once it learns who's boss (it is) it'll stop feeling like it needs to prove something? Hasn't yet, after close to a dozen such episodes.
Old 12/31/15, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Defiant 5.0
Did you ever find out anything about the 2nd gear issue just had mine lock in 2nd but its permanently stuck!😥