Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

How to reset modules on 5.0? Steering wheel locks on left turns.

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/11, 06:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to reset modules on 5.0? Steering wheel locks on left turns.

***JUST TO BE CLEAR THIS ISNT ANOTHER 5.0 ISSUE***

As most of you know I just did a block swap on my 12 5.0. I now have a 12 Boss 302 block in there. The car is running beautifully except for these issues.

These are things I've noticed:

When I start the car the information screen under the RPM's stays blank and doesn't display mileage or anything at all. I have to hit reset for it to show the information. If I start the car with the door open it'll display "Driver Door Ajar" even after I close the door same thing for "Brake Engaged" If I hit reset it goes away. Also I did notice that the tire pressure sensor fault lite blinks and just stays on. It also took very long for the TPM light to come on. It doesn't normally blink on and off. (dont have the pressure sensor in)Also I was making a hard left turn and I hear a chime and the wheel would harden like it would if I stalled the car. This happened 4 times and just on left turns I noticed. I've tuned it back to stock and still the same issues. When I picked up the car it said something to the effect of " take car into the dealership" on the navigation screen which I've never seen before.

Know what it could be? It's got to be related to it being taken apart. These are all electrical issues...something needs to be reset? Anything I should try?

Thanks!

Last edited by unas2k5; 10/3/11 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10/3/11, 06:19 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unas2k5
As most of you know I just did a block swap on my 12 5.0. I now have a 12 Boss 302 block in there. The car is running beautifully except for these issues.

These are things I've noticed:

When I start the car the information screen under the RPM's stays blank and doesn't display mileage or anything at all. I have to hit reset for it to show the information. If I start the car with the door open it'll display "Driver Door Ajar" even after I close the door. If I hit reset it goes away. Also I did notice that the tire pressure sensor fault lite blinks and just stays on. It doesn't normally blink on and off. (dont have the pressure sensor in)Also I was making a hard left turn and I hear a chime and the wheel would harden like it would if I stalled the car. This happened 4 times and just on left turns I noticed. I've tuned it back to stock and still the same issues. When I picked up the car it said something to the effect of " take car into the dealership" on the navigation screen which I've never seen before.

Know what it could be? It's got to be related to it being taken apart.

Thanks!
Running the stock 2012 gt tune?
The tire pressure light will flash due to a tire pressure monitor system fault. Since you dont have sensors.

The power steering is electronically controlled. So to me it sounds like something is shorting when you turn.
Old 10/3/11, 06:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Running the stock 2012 gt tune?
The tire pressure light will flash due to a tire pressure monitor system fault. Since you dont have sensors.

The power steering is electronically controlled. So to me it sounds like something is shorting when you turn.

Stock 12 tune or Steeda same issues... the tire pressure fault I can understand..but any ideas about the other issues?
Left turn only and not at every left turn...It sounds a chime then it would harden..so weird.
THX
Old 10/3/11, 06:31 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Stock 12 tune or Steeda same issues... the tire pressure fault I can understand..but any ideas about the other issues?
Left turn only and not at every left turn...It sounds a chime then it would harden..so weird.
THX
Well the electronic steering is new. So I don't know much of the issues with it yet. Something just isn't right though... The ic should not be going blank every start up... Did a reputable person do the swap? If you can get it to a dealer they can use the ids to perform a network test that will check the communication to all the modules on the network. Including the ic. Which is a gateway module. I think it itself might be causing some sort of issue. The ic connects the h-can and regular can together. If it glitches the comunication through those two networks would be severed... Probably going to be a pain to figure out. But I think a network test might help. Not too sure though.
Old 10/3/11, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Definitely a short or a loose connection somewhere. Tune wouldn't cause this issue.

Glad your up and running again with a new block. Bet it feels good to hear the 5 oh roar!!!

See if the person that did the swap has any ideas or able to go over all the connections again.
Old 10/3/11, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well the electronic steering is new. So I don't know much of the issues with it yet. Something just isn't right though... The ic should not be going blank every start up... Did a reputable person do the swap? If you can get it to a dealer they can use the ids to perform a network test that will check the communication to all the modules on the network. Including the ic. Which is a gateway module. I think it itself might be causing some sort of issue. The ic connects the h-can and regular can together. If it glitches the comunication through those two networks would be severed... Probably going to be a pain to figure out. But I think a network test might help. Not too sure though.
Yes, a reputable person with 20+ years of experience hand building engines/transmissions did the swap. He's working on a race car right now that needs to be ready for a cutomer so he wants me to take it back in there on Friday.
He said something about "the modules have capacitors that store data. When you allow them to run down the have to relearn"
He did ask me to tune it to stock,drive it for 20 miles, and disconnect the battery overnight. I did that and still no luck.
Old 10/3/11, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c
Definitely a short or a loose connection somewhere. Tune wouldn't cause this issue.

Glad your up and running again with a new block. Bet it feels good to hear the 5 oh roar!!!

See if the person that did the swap has any ideas or able to go over all the connections again.

Thanks!! This is the exact exhaust set up I have. LOVE IT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0BqLI_UtsY
Old 10/3/11, 08:15 PM
V6 Member

They have had issues with the smart junction box in the past mabe disconnect the batt for 10 or so minutes
Old 10/4/11, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2012 grabber blue gt
They have had issues with the smart junction box in the past mabe disconnect the batt for 10 or so minutes
Lol I disconnected it overnight. It didn't help. Thx
Old 10/4/11, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Look at it now. Should read that there's no TPM.
Attached Images  
Old 10/4/11, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Service Light
Attached Images  
Old 10/4/11, 04:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Service Advancetrack
Attached Images  
Old 10/5/11, 04:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 10/5/11, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think something was damaged during the swap.....wires pinched or shorting out...

If service light is on....what code is coming up...maybe the sensor or part is damaged/broken wires
Old 10/5/11, 04:45 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Anyone else have any ideas?
Just a thought. As I stated above the ic is a gateway module... Might need to be reflashed.
Old 10/6/11, 09:00 PM
GT Member

We have an 2010 Econoline in our fleet that went all electro-wacky. Computers couldn't find anything. We did took both positive and negative cables off the battery, touched them together and put them back on and everything works as intended.
Old 10/6/11, 10:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just a thought. As I stated above the ic is a gateway module... Might need to be reflashed.
Sorry what's an ic? Where can I get it reflashed?
Old 10/6/11, 10:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by orpheus
We have an 2010 Econoline in our fleet that went all electro-wacky. Computers couldn't find anything. We did took both positive and negative cables off the battery, touched them together and put them back on and everything works as intended.
Ok, I'll try that now. Thanks!
Old 10/7/11, 12:02 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Sorry what's an ic? Where can I get it reflashed?
Instrument cluster. At a dealer
Old 10/11/11, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Haven't tried disconnecting it. Don't have a test light but im taking it back to the shop. I think its a loose connection somewhere. My navigation screen turned off and restarted when I went over a large pot hole, this happened 3 times. Today I went full throttle got some wheel hop and that caused all the gauges and the navigtation to restart LOL.

You guys think something is loose?

Quick Reply: How to reset modules on 5.0? Steering wheel locks on left turns.