Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Hood bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/11, 08:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, very well put Houtex!
Old 7/7/11, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by houtex
Deysha, the problem isn't individual. The problem is systematic. These bubbles have been happening since 2005, when Ford decided that rather than plastic, they would use Aluminum for the hoods... and the problems they experienced since haven't ever been fixed, and that it why today new cars come with bubbled hoods like the old ones do.

It's beyond frustrating to know that if you buy a Mustang, the hood paint *will* bubble 9 times out of 10.

I've resigned myself that, after nearly 30 years of driving Fords, this is the first car I will have to repaint the hood on simply because Ford can't get the paint to stick. Not one other Ford car in my lifetime have I seen this issue, and I've dealt with these cars: '55-57 Thunderbirds, '65-66 Thunderbirds, '64.5-67 Mustangs, '78 Thunderbirds, '78 Mustang II, '86 Mustang SVO, '87 Lincoln Mark VII, '95 Lincoln Mark VIII, '97 Thunderbird.

Sure, I'll admit some of them had damage from previous *incidents*, and a couple of them had the ravages of age and therefore rust, and some had repaints over original coats, but NOT ONE had whatever of their original paint that was still on the car bubble off due to badly done paint in any location, and definitely NOT on the undersides of hoods or at the lips of them.

Since mines out of warranty, of course, I'll be footing the bill.

/Just hadda get that out. Carry on, y'all.
Well put!

I'd also like to mention V8 SHOs that had valves drop into the combustion chamber when the swedged on cam sprocket spun off, Taurus and Sables that got dogleg rust (only if you had a Chicago built car) within a couple years, and the Windstar suspension rust issue. Of those, only one has been addressed by Ford, and that was because the NHTSB made Ford do it.

Don't get me wrong...I love my Fords, and I'd never drive anything other than one, but these kinds of issues turn off the non-believers, and drive them to Toyota or Honda.

JR
Old 7/7/11, 09:17 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by houtex
Deysha, the problem isn't individual. The problem is systematic. These bubbles have been happening since 2005, when Ford decided that rather than plastic, they would use Aluminum for the hoods... and the problems they experienced since haven't ever been fixed, and that it why today new cars come with bubbled hoods like the old ones do.

It's beyond frustrating to know that if you buy a Mustang, the hood paint *will* bubble 9 times out of 10.
I've seen this problem in person and it really sucks.
I don't believe it is "9 out of 10" since I have bought 3 and have not seen the problem on my cars which have all reached 5 years old in my possession.
Sadly, I would say from my looking at used cars it is probably 1 out of 10 which is still pretty bad.
Just sayin'
(BTW I have a spare if anyone wants to make an offer.)
Old 7/7/11, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi MustangLynda,

Please message me with your dealer, VIN, and contact info. I would like to look into this for you as well.

Deysha
PM sent. Thank you!!
Old 7/7/11, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by karman
I've seen this problem in person and it really sucks.
I don't believe it is "9 out of 10" since I have bought 3 and have not seen the problem on my cars which have all reached 5 years old in my possession.
Sadly, I would say from my looking at used cars it is probably 1 out of 10 which is still pretty bad.
Just sayin'
(BTW I have a spare if anyone wants to make an offer.)
A spare hood or a spare car?????
Old 7/7/11, 02:06 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by MustangLynda
A spare hood or a spare car?????
BOTH
But seriously, I haven't quite figured out what to do with the spare white hood yet. It is perfect from a 2006 with only about 12K mi. on it.
Old 7/7/11, 09:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
I'll take it, you can have mine, and maybe Deysha will help you get it repainted.

/I keed...
//but only a little. If you were in the 'backyard', this would be done.
Old 7/8/11, 02:23 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangLynda
PM sent. Thank you!!
No problem MustangLynda. I sent you a reply today.

Deysha
Old 7/11/11, 02:07 PM

My local dealer said Ford would pay half of the cost to repaint the hood on my 2007 Mustang GT with 59K miles, the estimate said $400 to strip & repaint the hood, my share would be $200...what do you think?
Old 7/11/11, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ctmonline
My local dealer said Ford would pay half of the cost to repaint the hood on my 2007 Mustang GT with 59K miles, the estimate said $400 to strip & repaint the hood, my share would be $200...what do you think?
I had the same problem with my Torch Red 2007 GT Prem. I had it fixed once under warranty but the problem returned. My solution was trading for a 2011 Race Red GT/CS. Now on to my next issue... LOL i also had issues with the inside door inserts peeling/failing. My wife owns a 2006 GT Prem and I just had to repair her inside door inserts... FRUSTRATING!
Old 7/11/11, 02:41 PM

Thanks SMOKINJOE32927...was thinking about trading mine for a new one next year, don't know whether to get it fixed now or wait and see if it gets any worse before trading it.
Old 7/11/11, 06:32 PM
Cobra Member

Huh I just took delivery of a 2012 GT a few weeks ago and noticed one of these bubbles under the hood on the passengers side. Guess I will take that up with the dealer tomorrow. Not cool Ford, not cool at all....
Old 7/12/11, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
Huh I just took delivery of a 2012 GT a few weeks ago and noticed one of these bubbles under the hood on the passengers side. Guess I will take that up with the dealer tomorrow. Not cool Ford, not cool at all....
Hi vistablue mustang,

Could you please message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info? I’d like to escalate this for you.

Deysha
Old 7/12/11, 07:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Old 7/12/11, 07:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
I know, right?
Old 7/12/11, 12:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi vistablue mustang,

Could you please message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info? I’d like to escalate this for you.

Deysha
Sure I will send you a PM with my contact info.
Old 7/13/11, 08:06 AM
V6 Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I just got done grinding and painting my 2006 Black GT hood @ 37,800 miles. The creeping "tin worm" was bubbling in no less than ten spots on all four sides under the hood. Of course I am out of warrantee and have no rust through perforation. The corrosion did show up on top of the hood infront of the passenger windshield and the headlight lip. I used a Dremel drill and their tiny wire brush attachment which took the aluminum down to the non corrosion surface. Next a good etching primer, base coat, and clear coats makes the hood looks fairly acceptable. A new hood from Ford is over $1000 plus a paint job so it will explain why they are running away from this fiasco big time. Someone should be fired. I have started looking closely at other Mustangs in parking lots and car shows, (MCA New York). 75% of these cars have the problem! I guess this new task will be added to other maintainence every couple of months. The goal is to try to keep the corrosion from coming up onto the top of the hood in the future. The good news is that with every grinding, I am taking a little weight out of the car and learning how to work with aluminum. Do Audis have this problem? Yikes!!!
Old 7/13/11, 08:12 AM
Cobra Member

OK Deysha sent you a PM.

Heres the thing guys, my dealer took a look at the bubble yesterday and sent shots to Ford. They have agreed to repair the bubble; if your like me your waiting for the catch so here it is, they want then entire hood repainted....I don't understand this logic at all.

From what I know of autobody work you could simply grind the bubble down smooth it out and then apply base, color, and clear. There might be a millimeter line from where the new paint starts and stops but its under the hood. The only reason I worry about it is the long term effect it could have and because you can see it from the front of the car.

What do you guys think? I am not allowed to pick the shop its done at (but the shop is supposed to be reputable my insurance co recommends them as well) but I am really leery of having a brand new cars hood repainted, especially since I don't think color matching Grabber Blue will be that easy

Last edited by vistablue mustang; 7/13/11 at 08:14 AM.
Old 7/13/11, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

OK Deysha sent you a PM.

Heres the thing guys, my dealer took a look at the bubble yesterday and sent shots to Ford. They have agreed to repair the bubble; if your like me your waiting for the catch so here it is, they want then entire hood repainted....I don't understand this logic at all.

From what I know of autobody work you could simply grind the bubble down smooth it out and then apply base, color, and clear. There might be a millimeter line from where the new paint starts and stops but its under the hood. The only reason I worry about it is the long term effect it could have and because you can see it from the front of the car.

What do you guys think? I am not allowed to pick the shop its done at (but the shop is supposed to be reputable my insurance co recommends them as well) but I am really leery of having a brand new cars hood repainted, especially since I don't think color matching Grabber Blue will be that easy
Painting the entire hood is the only RIGHT way to do it. Grabber Blue may or may not be hard to match, but chances are better it will match by painting the entire hood rather than trying to spot match. I would have been pissed if it were the other way around and Ford only wanted to spot repair the hood. You should be happy.
Old 7/13/11, 09:28 AM

Sure I will send you a PM with my contact info.
Got your pm vistablue mustang. I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Deysha

Quick Reply: Hood bubbling