Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Clunking felt in floor board

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/13, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunking felt in floor board

So I have this clunking feeling that speeds up and slows down with the car coming from the front drivers side. I can't feel it in the floor board, but I can't really hear it. There is something wrong with the car clearly, so I take in to the dealership.

The dealership says they hear it, and they will look into it tomorrow. Then...I get a call the next day saying they hear nothing, and that they are voiding my warranty because I have a "chip" and no cats...here's where it gets funny...

I don't have a tune, and I have my cats in the car. So naturally I laugh and think the guy is joking...nope he is dead set on my car having no cats and a chip. The "chip" he saw...was my progressive insurance thing that tracks my driving habits, and my axle back sounds like I have no cats I guess. So I raise hell, and get a call back 6 hours later saying the "must have mistaken" my mustang with another one in the shop. Yeah...no other mustangs were there.

But they're saying they don't hear or feel this suspension floor board knock thing now. Why would I believe them when they're too lazy to check if I have cats or not? What should I do?
Old 1/18/13, 06:29 AM
GT Member

If you have another Ford dealership in your area I would attempt to bring your car to them. If all you have is a set of axle backs the warranty should not be void. If you don't have another local dealership I'm sure one of the Ford reps on here would love to escalate things for you. Otherwise, call Ford's customer relation department directly:

Ford United States
+1-800-392-3673
+1-800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)
Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Saturday, 9:00 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time

Explain to them the situation and have then give you your options. I hope it gets resolved!
Old 1/19/13, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

They told me it was my tire. And I said, great! Show me where the tire is damaged. They couldn't. Then they said they meant it was a normal sound coming from the tires. Umm yeah sure.

So after my research. I am about 90 percent positive its a bad wheel bearing. Now I just need to find which one and take it back in. I will be charging them for my diagnosis : )
Old 1/20/13, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikeyt03
The "chip" he saw...was my progressive insurance thing that tracks my driving habits, and my axle back sounds like I have no cats I guess.
Now THAT is funny!

I always wondered how much power those chips added.
Obviously enough to cause a bad wheel bearing
Old 1/22/13, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Go to a different dealer already
Old 1/22/13, 03:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

So just to be sure, I switched the front left rim with the right and I got all of my rims road force balanced today, and the thumping is still in the same spot. Rims and tires are fine. Very light feathering going on in the tires from normal wear and tear. I went to my dealer today before I did this, and they refused to drive the car with me. They said to come back in a week and they would put stock rims and tires on to see if its my rims or tires that are the issue. So...I'm taking my road force balance results and going to another dealer. The tech still swears its my tires : / ford customer service said that the dealers are their eyes and ears.