Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

ANOTHER 5.0 breaking apart?

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/11, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ANOTHER 5.0 breaking apart?

So, aside from EVERY other issue I have had with this car in the past 2 months, Yesterday I went to school...car ran fine. Fast forward 4 hours I leave school, start my car and it dies, 2nd time the car fires fine so I get out to put my book bag in the trunk and smell burnt oil and see blue smoke....

The car idles down and the smoke/smell goes away, I head home, car is running GREAT(I took it easy)...as I get off the interstate I downshift and it kicks an UNGODLY amount of smoke through every gear, and at idle but clears up under power.

This morning I call ford(again...) and they tell me Wed. to bring it in, I headed to school and the smoke never stopped from start up till I pulled in(8 miles or so)

Any ideas? I am guess a seal since its only under decel and idle? I am driving the car because quite frankly I am fed up with it, the car JUST turned 10K miles today and it has been nothing but issues. I dont care if this car burst into flames at this point, honestly all I want out is my glasses and V1 and I will watch it burn and go buy a new '13 5.0. So anyone have some advice?

Sorry my last 2 posts have been on how HORRIBLE this car has gotten, but until it hit 9500 it was flawless.

Car is pretty stock, Roush A/B and a Catless X-Pipe...

Last edited by slostang; 12/13/11 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12/13/11, 02:32 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully they don't void ur warranty because of the catless x pipe
Old 12/13/11, 02:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LMNO
Hopefully they don't void ur warranty because of the catless x pipe
I dont know why they would, I don't see that having any bearing on it.
Old 12/13/11, 02:56 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
They'll find any reason they can, and it'll be up to you to prove otherwise (on your dime I might add). Good luck.

How much oil is it using or has it used? How are you running no cats without a tune too? Just ignoring the codes/ CEL?

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 12/13/11 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12/13/11, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Man, that stinks! Sorry to hear about it Trev. Hopefully your next car will be a lot better!
Old 12/13/11, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
They'll find any reason they can, and it'll be up to you to prove otherwise (on your dime I might add). Good luck.

How much oil is it using or has it used? How are you running no cats without a tune too? Just ignoring the codes/ CEL?
The Magnuson-Moss Act says that FORD has to prove that it led to the specific failure of the part, I have contacted my lawyer(also my Unlce) on the matter. Are they going to say the Roush A/B had to do with the possible failure also?

The car was just in for a FULL trans replacement 8 days ago and ford noted the catless x pipe, and there tech said "outside of emissions the cats dont have any bearing on the motor".

And not alot of oil, the car is still in the "good" level, I dont think it is a PCV issue either. As for the codes it is just for Bank 2 O2 sensors, Ford cleared them but they came back 2 drive cycles later.

Last edited by slostang; 12/13/11 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12/13/11, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38
Man, that stinks! Sorry to hear about it Trev. Hopefully your next car will be a lot better!
Thanks, I LOVE the 5.0, nothing out there peaks my interest so I without a doubt will either have this one fixed or I will be ordering a new one, I have no intentions of getting something else.
Old 12/13/11, 03:36 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by slostang
The Magnuson-Moss Act says that FORD has to prove that it led to the specific failure of the part, I have contacted my lawyer(also my Unlce) on the matter. Are they going to say the Roush A/B had to do with the possible failure also?
True, but Ford also has an entire department of lawyers already on the payroll that can bury you in motions and paperwork that you will have to pay a lawyer to defend against (if they so choose). If they want to go that route, they could feasibly end up costing you more in lawyer fees than it would have taken to pay for the repairs. Sucks, but its just the world we live in today.

Hopefully they'll do the right thing. Curious to find out what the problem is myself. I really don't like all of these oil issues that keep popping up with the 5.0.
Old 12/13/11, 03:38 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am guess a seal since its only under decel and idle?...
That has been my experience when valve seals fail. Whereas bad rings would blow smoke all the time not just on decel.
Old 12/13/11, 04:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
True, but Ford also has an entire department of lawyers already on the payroll that can bury you in motions and paperwork that you will have to pay a lawyer to defend against (if they so choose). If they want to go that route, they could feasibly end up costing you more in lawyer fees than it would have taken to pay for the repairs. Sucks, but its just the world we live in today.

Hopefully they'll do the right thing. Curious to find out what the problem is myself. I really don't like all of these oil issues that keep popping up with the 5.0.
Oh I understand I talked with my uncle today, and lucky he will defend me a no cost, so that IS a plus....but being in litigation for 9 months, paying for a $35,000 car that I cant drive WILL suck. I hope ford steps up and does the right thing also, Like I said I love this car....but enough is enough IMO.

And just like the transmission, I wasn't the FIRST case...now a 5.0 with oil issues, oh....not the first in this line either. I drive the car pretty easy most of the time, it has its time of fun but nothing I would call abuse or over the top.

Originally Posted by cdynaco
That has been my experience when valve seals fail. Whereas bad rings would blow smoke all the time not just on decel.
Yup, I am assuming seals, but I cant DARE tear into that motor....ford will tell me soon enough.
Old 12/13/11, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Trev... You should update your sig with one, little " , "...

2012 Black 5.0 6 Speed - Dead, Stock........For Now.

Old 12/14/11, 07:49 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So, aside from EVERY other issue I have had with this car in the past 2 months, Yesterday I went to school...car ran fine. Fast forward 4 hours I leave school, start my car and it dies, 2nd time the car fires fine so I get out to put my book bag in the trunk and smell burnt oil and see blue smoke....
The car idles down and the smoke/smell goes away, I head home, car is running GREAT(I took it easy)...as I get off the interstate I downshift and it kicks an UNGODLY amount of smoke through every gear, and at idle but clears up under power.
This morning I call ford(again...) and they tell me Wed. to bring it in, I headed to school and the smoke never stopped from start up till I pulled in(8 miles or so)
Hi slostang,

I’d like to escalate this for you. Please PM me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Old 12/14/11, 08:53 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the differance I can see between going cat less and a axle back system is that the roush system doesnt really add horse power and doesnt cause a code. Thats why ford caused alot of problems for those who installed pullies. They said the extra horse power being made caused issues problems.