The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Repair and Service Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f804/)
-   -   2013 V6 3.7L Not starting all of a sudden! (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f804/2013-v6-3-7l-not-starting-all-sudden-535999/)

ElectronG 3/8/15 10:06 PM

2013 V6 3.7L Not starting all of a sudden!

1 Attachment(s)
1- Tried to start my car but it sounded like there was not enough juice in the
battery.
2- While checking the battery connection, I noticed the GROUND was getting
hot.
3- Jumped it with another car, and the SAME problem.
4- Checked the voltage on my battery: 10.6V. Took it to get recharged, was
told it can't hold a charge.
5- Will get new battery, but being that even while getting a "jump" i can't
start the car, the issue isn't the battery.

This is a 2013 Mustang that is NOT under warranty- So no need to suggest that :)

Attached is a video of the noise.
The battery is NOT in the car- It is being "jumped" directly through the cables.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

2014GHIGGT 3/9/15 02:29 AM

if the battery has a short jumping won't help. sounds like you have dead cell.

Glenn 3/9/15 06:15 AM

More than a dead cell its a whole dead battery imo. Jumping the car without a battery in it is sometimes a tough deal too. Is this a daily driver car? Has the battery been drained a few times in the past. seems to soon to have to replace it. Why is this in thewarranty section if your telling us its not under warranty anymore :jester:

ElectronG 3/9/15 09:20 AM

1. I'm definitely getting a new battery today. I believe that the constant
"cranking attempt" of the starter, shorted the battery.
2. I am leaning towards it being a bad starter, and will focus on that area.
Sounds like it could be a "stuck" starter to me (Non-Expert opinion :dunno:)
3. I added the post here because I figured since it IS a newer car, maybe
someone the with the car STILL under warranty, might have had the
same problem by now and would know something about it.

ford4v429 3/9/15 10:17 PM

unless you have massive jumper cables and a flawless connection, doubt you will crank a car without a battery... you need enough voltage for the computer too, if theres enough drop in the cables that you hear it crank slow, odds are the fuel pump/injectors/spark or all the above aint gonna be working... not like jumping a tractor or something that only needs 100 amps to crank.

these cars tend to eat batteries- they draw more current in storage than any car ive ever had, battery can die in 2 weeks- worse, any battery not at 100% forms sulfates on the plates, so unless you unhook the battery in storage, or keep a trickle charger/tender on it, the battery likely will be shot after 2-3 winters, even if started regularly while hibernating.
My 09 I keep unhooked, battery is now 4 yrs old- first two batteries died in a year- I'm kinda a worry wart about leaving a chinese battery tender hot 24/7 in a detached garage, so just started unhooking battery after charging...
a desulfating charger *might* bounce back a battery, but 2-3 'deep cycles' and they are generally ruined.

ElectronG 3/24/15 07:31 AM

Very good point ford4v429, I should've thought about that :banghead:!!

After cleaning the battery connectors with baking soda, and replacing the battery, the car cranked up fine!--- I've just never encountered a car that couldn't be jumped because of a bad battery, or cell- But you guys know what you're talking about!~

Thank you guys!!!