Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2011 mustang engine fail

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/12, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iwalkaline58
It wont go that far. Remember your dealing with two companies Bama and Ford who will blame each other. So therefore one will be willing to testify on your behalf if it came down to it. Bama has good customer service and Ford is pretty decent as well. They realize that if someone bought one of their vehicles they probably will buy another if they have a good experience. So Ford looks at it as a 6k warranty repair and a happy customer who will keep buying vs a angry customer who will never come back. Same with Bama. Everything will be fine.
Totally agree.
Old 12/13/12, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I popped a STOCK motor with 7200(?) miles, Ford picked the cost of $7,000 plus. They had my car for 63(?) days because they SWORE my Roush A/B's caused the failure....

Long story short, from 9,000 miles too now at 25,000 miles the car has been a full bolt on car, seen ALOT of WOT pulls, track passes. The new motor seems very healthy still(knock on wood). I stopped DD the car about 4 months ago so I hope that helps it.
Old 12/13/12, 12:18 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by slostang
I popped a STOCK motor with 7200(?) miles, Ford picked the cost of $7,000 plus. They had my car for 63(?) days because they SWORE my Roush A/B's caused the failure....

Long story short, from 9,000 miles too now at 25,000 miles the car has been a full bolt on car, seen ALOT of WOT pulls, track passes. The new motor seems very healthy still(knock on wood). I stopped DD the car about 4 months ago so I hope that helps it.
Was the stock motor a 2011/2012? Did the new motor have the oil squirter delete and the new coated pistons with different ring lands?

EDIT - here you go:

Name:  Pic5.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  85.2 KB

https://themustangsource.com/f800/co...4/#post6280407

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/13/12 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12/13/12, 01:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeyt03
Thank you for correcting me on the 300 miles Gabe... It must make a world of a difference, or your just being an *******. I don't know which one it is.

I am aware that the timing is different, but for an engine to fail after 5k miles of tuning tells me that the timing wasn't the issue, unless the tune was really bad. Bama uses the same timing on hundreds of cars without an issue I'm sure, which tells me that its not a tune related issue. The tune might have accelerated the failure, but its not the root cause. Ford knows this, and it really depends on how good of a customer he is. Ford isn't in the business of losing loyal customers. It's the jerks that strip the tunes and go in and try to lie to get an engine replaced who have issues with warranty coverage.
Wasn't trying to be an *** hole about the mileage, I'm just a stickler for details. A lot can happen in 300 miles.

Now, what's gonna happen here is the customer has to deal with a dealership that doesn't want to raise it's warranty numbers by doing an expensive engine job under warranty, and Ford has no interest in spending over $6k-$7k to replace an engine that (as far as they're concerned) was operating beyond it's design.

The customer can call Ford Customer Service (800-392-3673) and see if there's any kind of hell he can raise to get this repair covered under warranty, especially being a 2011, first year of production, blah blah blah ... say whatever it takes to get a manager to give the dealership the approval code they might be looking for.
Old 12/13/12, 01:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Was the stock motor a 2011/2012? Did the new motor have the oil squirter delete and the new coated pistons with different ring lands?

EDIT - here you go:

The squirter-deleting was done for the 2013 model-year, wasn't it?
Ford replaces a 2011 engine with another 2011 engine, they don't upgrade or retrofit a customer's car ...

I highly doubt that Trevor's new engine has the squirter-delete ... at 7k miles he most likely got a new 2011 engine instead of a re-manufactured one, since that's Ford's policy within the first 12mo/12k miles
Old 12/13/12, 01:44 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Gabe
The squirter-deleting was done for the 2013 model-year, wasn't it?
Ford replaces a 2011 engine with another 2011 engine, they don't upgrade or retrofit a customer's car ...

I highly doubt that Trevor's new engine has the squirter-delete ... at 7k miles he most likely got a new 2011 engine instead of a re-manufactured one, since that's Ford's policy within the first 12mo/12k miles
Yes on 2013. I would understand Ford wouldn't upgrade normally but if the only production engines now have squirter delete and improved pistons, they aren't going to hand build an old design. Besides - that design has cost Ford plenty already - why would they replace an engine under warranty with a flawed engine that has a new warranty?

And as I understand it, they didn't change the block design in 2013. They blocked off the squirters, changed pistons with a coated design and improved oil control rings and lands.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/13/12 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12/13/12, 06:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't trying to be an *** hole about the mileage, I'm just a stickler for details. A lot can happen in 300 miles.

Now, what's gonna happen here is the customer has to deal with a dealership that doesn't want to raise it's warranty numbers by doing an expensive engine job under warranty, and Ford has no interest in spending over $6k-$7k to replace an engine that (as far as they're concerned) was operating beyond it's design.

The customer can call Ford Customer Service (800-392-3673) and see if there's any kind of hell he can raise to get this repair covered under warranty, especially being a 2011, first year of production, blah blah blah ... say whatever it takes to get a manager to give the dealership the approval code they might be looking for.
Ok lol, I couldn't tell : )
Old 12/13/12, 07:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes on 2013. I would understand Ford wouldn't upgrade normally but if the only production engines now have squirter delete and improved pistons, they aren't going to hand build an old design. Besides - that design has cost Ford plenty already - why would they replace an engine under warranty with a flawed engine that has a new warranty?

And as I understand it, they didn't change the block design in 2013. They blocked off the squirters, changed pistons with a coated design and improved oil control rings and lands.
Considering that the OP's car is a 2011, it's beyond the first 12 months or 12k miles of being a new car, so as a warranty replacement engine it would be a re-manufactured engine, not a new one anyway, so he'd definitely be getting a 2011 engine, which would be ordered by the dealer from a local Ford-endorsed re-manufacturer. In my area the dealership I worked at usually got their engines from RMP (I actually bought the 5.7L Hemi V8 I needed for my 2007 Charger from them also)
Also, the warranty on the replacement engine would be either 12mo/12k miles or the remainder of the original powertrain warranty, whichever is longer.

And just because Ford redesigned the engine so it no longer needs the oil squirters doesn't mean the 2011-2012 design is flawed.
It's just what the engineers thought at the time that the engine needed.
Through redesigns of other components (pistons, like you said), they've negated the need for the squirters, so they've removed them in production and made the engine simpler/easier to produce (and probably cheaper)
Old 12/13/12, 09:26 PM
Post *****

Considering that the OP's car is a 2011, it's beyond the first 12 months or 12k miles of being a new car, so as a warranty replacement engine it would be a re-manufactured engine, not a new one anyway, so he'd definitely be getting a 2011 engine, which would be ordered by the dealer from a local Ford-endorsed re-manufacturer. In my area the dealership I worked at usually got their engines from RMP (I actually bought the 5.7L Hemi V8 I needed for my 2007 Charger from them also)
Also, the warranty on the replacement engine would be either 12mo/12k miles or the remainder of the original powertrain warranty, whichever is longer.

And just because Ford redesigned the engine so it no longer needs the oil squirters doesn't mean the 2011-2012 design is flawed.
It's just what the engineers thought at the time that the engine needed.
Through redesigns of other components (pistons, like you said), they've negated the need for the squirters, so they've removed them in production and made the engine simpler/easier to produce (and probably cheaper)
I don't think the concept of the squirters was flawed but something led to detonation killing piston #8. Numerous times. You've seen the pics right? That's a costly flaw that only an idiot company would continue to send out the door after they finally found the problem.
So the coating was probably part of the fix, and the revised oil control ring perhaps provided more cooling under the piston vs the squirter. Plus the 2013 picked up a few hp. I just don't think they would continue to use the original 11 pistons because they'd be chancing another warranty and another pissed off customer.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/1/13 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12/14/12, 08:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

EDIT - here you go:

Yup, like I said the warrenty boat has sailed so I hope it's strong! Lol

@Gabe Ford accepted the failure and they told me the block was replaced with the squirters deleted, I can't attest to the pistons but the block SHOULD be the 13, this happened when the 13's started and since I had a complete melt down they had to replace the block, the hold up/ turn around time was sourcing a new block as Ford said they felt the new block was needed.

Last edited by slostang; 12/14/12 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12/14/12, 12:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by slostang
Yup, like I said the warrenty boat has sailed so I hope it's strong! Lol

@Gabe Ford accepted the failure and they told me the block was replaced with the squirters deleted, I can't attest to the pistons but the block SHOULD be the 13, this happened when the 13's started and since I had a complete melt down they had to replace the block, the hold up/ turn around time was sourcing a new block as Ford said they felt the new block was needed.
Trev, do you happen to still have the receipt from the repair?

The part number would tell us if you got a '13 engine or an earlier one.

Usually the beginning letter tells what year the part number is for, so if it starts with a "B" or a "C" it would be a 2011 or 2012, respectively.

"D" being 2013 ...
Old 12/15/12, 10:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Trev, do you happen to still have the receipt from the repair?

The part number would tell us if you got a '13 engine or an earlier one.

Usually the beginning letter tells what year the part number is for, so if it starts with a "B" or a "C" it would be a 2011 or 2012, respectively.

"D" being 2013 ...
I'll have to look, I know my dad has kept all the paper work from that disaster lol
Old 1/16/13, 05:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Im sorry to hear about your engine.

Hopefully all works out for you.

Best Regards,

TJ