Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

upgrading speakers

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/14, 08:49 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrading speakers

I have a base unit....I am thinking of replacing the stock speakers....front and back....I am not looking at adding a amp to power a subwoofer.....at least not yet..

So what is suggested? What size fits in the front doors and the back deck? Who do you recommend and who not?
Old 7/11/14, 09:52 AM
GT Member

I replaced all 4 with polk db571s. I got them for $50 a pair on amazon. I've been pretty happy with them.

5x7s fit. I think I've heard that 6x8s will fit too, but I haven't tried them.
Old 7/11/14, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A buddy of mine said replacing the head unit made way more sound difference than replacing just the speakers.
Old 7/11/14, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
A buddy of mine said replacing the head unit made way more sound difference than replacing just the speakers.
Thats most likely correct. A head unit will have more/cleaner power. It will also have more tuning options. Ideally the HU and speakers should be repalced and a small 4ch. amp added for the speakers. This is coming from a fairly demanding audio fan, though.

I would say start with the HU to get the most improvement though. I also have the base stereo, and am piecing a system together as well. The base system, as im sure you all have realized, is horrible.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 7/11/14 at 11:54 AM.
Old 7/11/14, 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

A new HU is probably my next upgrade on my 2014 as well. I think I'll go single din though so I have the shelf to put my phone and sunglasses. I like the look of a double din better but I love that shelf. Too bad we have to buy an entirely new panel with AC controls in it instead of just the head unit.
Old 7/11/14, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

A new HU is probably my next upgrade on my 2014 as well. I think I'll go single din though so I have the shelf to put my phone and sunglasses. I like the look of a double din better but I love that shelf. Too bad we have to buy an entirely new panel with AC controls in it instead of just the head unit.
Right. I have the same dilemma right now. The panel is kinda cool actually, but an extra $200, bleh. I have a very high end single din from the late 90's/early 2000s that I could put in. The sound quality of it is absolutely incredible, but I don't think it will fit with the rest of the interior. Looks too old school. The new pioneer double DIN DVD receivers look like they would go really well with our interiors. I agree, that shelf would be really nice though too.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 7/11/14 at 12:16 PM.
Old 7/11/14, 12:34 PM
GT Member

I have in my 99 F-150 a high Alpine single din.....Love it....but then so does my boys who drive it mostly now....

So in a single din unit.....what about loss of sync or steering wheel controls???

I have entertained the idea of Kenwood DDX9801HD unit....with the Idatalink Maestro facing for it.

I want to add a Sirius XM Connect when I do do this.....

Suggestions then....
Old 7/11/14, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bentnail
I have in my 99 F-150 a high Alpine single din.....Love it....but then so does my boys who drive it mostly now....

So in a single din unit.....what about loss of sync or steering wheel controls???

I have entertained the idea of Kenwood DDX9801HD unit....with the Idatalink Maestro facing for it.

Suggestions then....
From what ive read you won't lose satellite radio with the Maestro. But you will with most other setups. (There has to be a way around that). There are adapters to keep syc and everything else with any new radio though.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 7/11/14 at 12:54 PM.
Old 7/11/14, 05:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't have sync and most units available have adaptors for steering wheel controls.
Old 7/13/14, 05:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just upgraded my speakers
Front Focal PS165FX
Rear Focal AC570
Amp JL XD7005V2
Subs 2 JL10W1V34

Sounds great! Lost no trunk space. Put Hushmat in the doors. Amazing how that stuff deadens the doors. Best of all it looks stock. Except for the tweeter being mounted on the a pillars. Head unit still shaker 500.

upgrading speakers-image-1250662128.jpg

Custom made sealed box seating in the spare tire well. Now what to do with that spare tire pump?
Old 7/16/14, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Toad 185
Just upgraded my speakers Front Focal PS165FX Rear Focal AC570 Amp JL XD7005V2 Subs 2 JL10W1V34 Sounds great! Lost no trunk space. Put Hushmat in the doors. Amazing how that stuff deadens the doors. Best of all it looks stock. Except for the tweeter being mounted on the a pillars. Head unit still shaker 500. Custom made sealed box seating in the spare tire well. Now what to do with that spare tire pump?
Would you be so kind as to post a picture of your A-pillar tweeters please?
I'm looking at some Polk audio components; and I have never mounted tweeters before but have worked with just about everything else.

I guess the only 3 places for a decent sound stage are:

1) The A pillar 2) The triangle piece under the A pillar 3) The area where the power mirror switch sits now, and then relocate that.
Trying to see what looks the best and requires the least amount of hassle.

Just looking at some Polk audios on amazon, but it seems crutch-field has the same options for about $100 less.
Just trying to figure out what "fits" and disregard crutchfields info. They only say a few brands for for the front doors.
Old 7/16/14, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
Would you be so kind as to post a picture of your A-pillar tweeters please? I'm looking at some Polk audio components; and I have never mounted tweeters before but have worked with just about everything else. I guess the only 3 places for a decent sound stage are: 1) The A pillar 2) The triangle piece under the A pillar 3) The area where the power mirror switch sits now, and then relocate that. Trying to see what looks the best and requires the least amount of hassle. Just looking at some Polk audios on amazon, but it seems crutch-field has the same options for about $100 less. Just trying to figure out what "fits" and disregard crutchfields info. They only say a few brands for for the front doors.
Not the best pics

upgrading speakers-image-1211596620.jpg

upgrading speakers-image-2785416144.jpg
Old 7/16/14, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

****!! Couldn't I just add tweeters there AND in the area where the power mirror switch goes. Both places look stock, and great!
Old 7/16/14, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like how that looks. I'm debating between this and the window switch swap myself.
Old 7/16/14, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
****!! Couldn't I just add tweeters there AND in the area where the power mirror switch goes. Both places look stock, and great!
Right!? I like both options as well, Going to be a tough choice.
Old 7/16/14, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Joe and Steve. Wish I could have had them in a more discrete location. But this is growing on me. Really loving the sound that these speakers produce!!
Old 7/16/14, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

[QUOTE="Toad 185;6828867"]Thanks Joe and Steve. Wish I could have had them in a more discrete location. But this is growing on me. Really loving the sound that these speakers produce!![/QUOTE

You've definitely done a fantastic job.
Looks OEM. Not too protruding.
I drive a 2013 Ford F-150 for work. And I just noticed that it has tweeters in the A pillars. Not a "loud" stereo, but listening to songs this week has really opened my ears compared to the mustang. I'm hearing all new vocals and horns and guitar I haven't heard in my mustang.
Old 7/16/14, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

These OEM speakers are not that good.

upgrading speakers-image-971080447.jpg

I listen to a wide variety of music. Mostly rock and rap/hip hop. Haha I did say a "wide variety". This set up has not let me down on either type of music.
Old 7/17/14, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Maestro gives you a pocket at the bottom. If you buy HU from Crutchfield they give you half off the install kit.

Originally Posted by Bentnail

Suggestions then....
Right now on Crutchfield you get a free Sirius XM tuner with most of the Kenwoods when you pay for a few months of service. So you pay for the add-on tuner then get a $50 visa gift card or something after you sign up for service I believe.

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
From what ive read you won't lose satellite radio with the Maestro. But you will with most other setups. (There has to be a way around that). There are adapters to keep syc and everything else with any new radio though.
I believe that is incorrect because the factory satellite tuner is removed when the old radio is removed. So you have to buy an add-on SiriusXM tuner.

Last edited by mustang5o; 7/17/14 at 08:28 AM.
Old 7/17/14, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
and for speakers...has anyone tried the Kenwood plate speakers KFC-P680C? I thought these might be a good alternative to components. I don't want to add an amplifier either (except for a sub). My plan is a new HU with Maestro (probably Kenwood), new speakers and then either a JL Stealthbox or MTX Thunderform.

Quick Reply: upgrading speakers