Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Stock Standard Stereo to Shaker 500 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/14, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by geertsen
Hello everyone, newbie here. Silverhorseracing, how did you make out installing the factory amps and wiring to the shaker 500. I am also changing the base to a Shaker. Ive installed a new head unit and purchased the GT door panels and sub amps. The sub amps bolt right up, but after that< I am kind of lost. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Parry
Same here Op when you get a chance PM me with some more details I plan to use a factory amp and factory connectors and make a harness.
Old 10/31/14, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just ordered a Factory amp and the seller is kind enough to provide me with the plugs that go into the amp. and I bought the 8 pin plug that plugs to the back of the radio so all I have to do now I buy the plug that plugs into the subwoofers from the amplifier(If anyone knows a part number or where to get this plug hit me up) and then make some wiring harnesses is will get back to everyone once this has been completed and on a side note mounting wise the bracket is already in our cars along with mounting posts all we have to do is mount the amp and put on 3 nuts on the posts to secure it.
Old 11/8/14, 10:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am happy to announce that Yesterday I got shaker 500 to work in a base mustang I wired in the amp and connected the door subs and away it went and boy Its alot better especially when listening to Sirius xm's BPM, any how I used a take off stock amplifier stock subs and stock plugs had to guide wire through the door into the body and solder ever thing together and I got power for the amp from the radio Pin 1 on the 24 pin connector but all in all its about a 5 hour job alone and already know how to thread the wire through the door panels if you dont then its about a 6 hour job because that parts the real pain in the ***.

Anyways just wanted to report my success and now the only thing on my todo list for interior will be 2013 mustang leather headrests and I will have a completed 2013 mustang interior, and to think just last year she started out a flat chested base model and now she is a hot model babe lol.

Alex
Old 11/12/14, 08:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idk why you guys want the shaker 500. I have it, it's nothing special. In fact, it's pathetic for the price. Speakers are a joke, the subs are good for mid range at best, and the overall feel of the system is OLD. I'd go a different route
Old 11/13/14, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well sir that's your prerogative I have my own reasons for wanting it and so far my car is only oem parts and I started out with a base model 2012 and now it is a premium 2013
Old 11/24/14, 12:23 AM

RodDis, I am very new at this. Did you install the BOSS Audio BV9979B In-Dash Single-Din 7-inch Motorized Detachable Touchscreen DVD/CD/USB/SD/MP4/MP3 Player Receiver Bluetooth Streaming Bluetooth Hands-free with Remote in yours? How did that work out? I like the idea of this one and would like to know how it went. How does it compare as far as volume with the shaker 500? Mine is a 2005 shaker 500 and since I haven't done too many mods, it's loud enough to hear, but I like the potencial versatility of the BV9979B.

Last edited by Romad124; 11/24/14 at 12:26 AM.
Old 6/10/15, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did a similar upgrade from 2013 base Mustang Radio to 2013 Mustang Shaker Radio and discovered the reason that you lose AUX input with this upgrade.

The Shaker radio typically comes in a premium model with Sync. With Sync present in the car, you control all the inputs through sync media input controls on the radio. Aux connects to Sync and Sync Media allows you to choose what media you want Sync to play (line in, USB, or Bluetooth)

When I added a 2013 sync module to my base Mustang with only the line input, I discovered that the base radio AUX button toggled between the line input and the Sync module interface. When using Sync features, Sync also allowed a choice of line input, USB or Bluetooth input.

I was able to access the line input through either the AUX button or Sync media choices and both worked.

I suspect that Ford programmed the Shaker Radio to depend on Sync to choose the AUX choices available while the base radio has to choose line itself because they do not ship with Sync attached.

Anyone that wants to get their line in working again with the shaker upgraded head unit on their recent model Mustang, can add a sync module with the 2009 Sync kit and will probably get it back. (At least that is what I discovered with a 2013 Shaker head unit swap and 2013 Sync module installed in my car)
Old 6/12/15, 08:48 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry guys, did not realize this thread was still active, so I didn't see that I was being paged

Answer to the question, the wiring was in the door side, then just had to run new harness to the amps from the HU and from the amps to the subs. I used "repair" plugs commonly available and then just wired everything by hand. More time-consuming than anything else, but I'm happy with the result as I swapped in JBL's all around and the sound is plenty for me when I'm not listening to the car. That and half the time I'm on AM talk radio anyway, so it's not like the subs or much of anything help I may try the sunc upgrade next, mostly because I am "over" having the Motorola unit for my handsfree, and would rather it work like my truck, although she still doesn't understand voice commands for crap...
The following users liked this post:
pkkmc96 (5/2/17)
Old 7/6/15, 04:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a 2013 gt base, I would like to install the shaker 500 stereo for the sub output and the rds. Will it plug right in, as I read issues with the aux button earlier in the thread?
Old 7/6/15, 04:29 PM

For 2013 Mustang, the Shaker 500 will plug right in where the base connections fit. You lose the line input if you just stop there but you can re-gain the line input if you add the Sync module to it.

For the Shaker 500 head unit, the Sync module uses the Aux Button to connect to the Sync Module and the Sync module has it's own input selects for USB, Line Input and Bluetooth.

Has anyone added either a factory amp or aftermarket amps to a stock Mustang Shaker 500 Head unit?
pkkmc96 (5/3/17)
Old 7/10/15, 01:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by crgwebb1
For 2013 Mustang, the Shaker 500 will plug right in where the base connections fit. You lose the line input if you just stop there but you can re-gain the line input if you add the Sync module to it.

For the Shaker 500 head unit, the Sync module uses the Aux Button to connect to the Sync Module and the Sync module has it's own input selects for USB, Line Input and Bluetooth.

Has anyone added either a factory amp or aftermarket amps to a stock Mustang Shaker 500 Head unit?
I added a factory amp to a shaker 500 head unit
Old 7/10/15, 10:08 AM

Awoychosky123,

How did you wire in the factory amp to your Shaker 500 head unit?

Also wondering if you placed the amp in the trunk or somewhere under the dash?
Old 12/30/16, 05:03 PM

2011 base mustang

So let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly, I buy a shaker 500, just the grey box behind my radios face plate, and I get Bluetooth?
Old 2/14/17, 04:03 PM

I have read through this thread and want to verify a couple things. I have a 2012 GT Base and upgraded to Metra 99-5826CH Dash Kit with wire harness PAC RP4-FD11. I found 2013 Shaker Pro Door panels. In order to power the doors properly do I need Ford amp part# DR3T18T806AD? Plus, I will need to get additional plugs to go from the Pac harness to the amp and from the amp to the door wiring?
Old 5/2/17, 07:04 AM

Hi all new to the forum and have the same question as Izrobertzi...I have a base 2014 unit and was looking for options to add an integrated Bluetooth phone connection to the Mustang that would go through the car's speakers and automatically cancel out the radio music when a call came through.

If I add a shaker 2010+ grey box behind my radio's face plate, does that add Bluetooth capability? If so, what microphone set-up do you recommend and how does that plug into the shaker HU? Thanks for the help. Phil
Old 5/2/17, 07:38 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Something like this might work...we had it in my wife's Miata prior to upgrading the HU.

http://gromaudio.com/store/all-frd.html

Of course you may be able to locate used stock Ford parts for less money.
pkkmc96 (5/2/17)
Old 5/2/17, 07:47 AM

SpectreH,
Will give them a call to see how it would work. Thanks for the heads up. Spent some time down in WR, GA with the Marine unit that just moved out of there.

Semper Fidelis,

Phil
Old 5/20/17, 10:06 PM

For the 2014 Base Mustang, you would need the 2009 Sync Kit to get Bluetooth. You can get this with the base radio or the upgraded Shaker Radio installed. (Radio does not have anything to do with Bluetooth) You can also get a USB port for your car with a USB bezel and USB cable from the Sync module.