Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Retrofitting the 4.2 LCD Track Apps cluster

Old 4/20/14, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
You will not be able to start your car. You will have to start your car with the old cluster, and while it is running, switch the cluster out in order to drive it with the new cluster.
Thanks jim010.

So basically, as long as I have the old cluster and new cluster together when I bring it to a dealer I can have them perform PATS on the new cluster.

Do you know if the MyColor option is automatically part of the GT Premium clusters? I want to add the door sills and interior foot well lighting to my GT and be able to adjust the colors.
Old 4/20/14, 07:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Before going to dealer pull the trim off from around the cluster and remove all the 4 screws. That will make it super easy to the technician to swap. Just drive there with old cluster installed and new one sitting on seat. Make sure Odometer is close .. my dealer would not install unless odometer was correct.

You will need to print out the AS-BUILT for a Premium car with similar options to your car. The Dealer Tech will need to use PREMIUM as-built in the cluster - NOT your AS-Built .. or you will just have a pretty LCD display that doesn't do much.

if the wiring is already in the door sills for the Ambient Door sills .. you should be able to have the Dealer Tech update your BCM (Body Control Module) to a Premium - not sure if just AS-BUILT will work or if it would require a PMI. I know when I have PMI'd the BCM in my car .. it reset all of my Ambient lighting and door sills back to ICE BLUE - so that is what controls it.

My guess is there will be no wiring available for the sills or the Ambient lighting. A long time ago I retrofit Ambient lights into my 2006 Mustang ... and I had to get all the parts from the junk yard.

Of Course .. I would recommend you spend $200 on your own VCM instead of paying dealer the $200 he will probably charge you all of that for. I suggest you take a few hours and read the other thread.
Old 4/21/14, 08:05 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What issue was found with the auto cars? I have an auto 2012 that I have been thinking about doing the swap on. Also, in regards to the VCM. What all can they do and are they worth the money to buy one? I found one for $200 would that be a good enough one for an individual to have. They seem to range a lot in the prices. Should I be looking for something in particular when buying one? Thanks.
Old 4/21/14, 08:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Kona12GT
What issue was found with the auto cars? I have an auto 2012 that I have been thinking about doing the swap on. Also, in regards to the VCM. What all can they do and are they worth the money to buy one? I found one for $200 would that be a good enough one for an individual to have. They seem to range a lot in the prices. Should I be looking for something in particular when buying one? Thanks.
I have ordered an autoshifter assembly from the wreckers. It appears that the resistance values for the manual gears (when you manually put it in 1, 2 or 3) is different for 13/14 cars. So the signal being sent to the PCM (remember that it is now programmed as a 13/14 PCM) from the 11/12 shifter is not being recognized. This causes the PCM to think there is an issue and tell the cluster to display the monkey wrench symbol. Putting in the newer shifter will solve this.

The only issue after that (there is always something) is that 11/12 don't have select shift and the 13/14 don't have the hill assist button. I will just put my old shifter into the newer assembly and put that into my car.

I haven't gotten my shifter yet, though, so none of this is tested. But I am 99% positive that it will work.
Old 4/21/14, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kona12GT
I have been reading through the other thread on this subject the '13-14 Cluster into '10-12 car (with TrackApps) retrofit. I believe the VCM tool that these guys are using is this one for $159 USD and shipped to the states for free with DHL:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-...159125062.html

jim010 or dmhines please correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the dealer level VCM you are using to get this cluster upgrade to work, correct? I'm really interested in buying this tool just bc i should also be able to use this tool on my 2004 f150 as well.

I think I'm going to take your advice dmhines and pick up this scan tool, I'm a little bit hesitant only bc DHL tends to not drop packages off to my apartment.
Old 4/22/14, 04:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yes. That is the VCM I purchased. Can't believe it's only $159 now. Wow.
Old 4/22/14, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by dmhines
Yea I thought that price was amazing too! I jumped on it and bought it last night. Even if I don't mod my gauges it'll be nice just to have this tool for diagnostics on my GT and my F150.

I used to work in the parts department of a Ford dealer and I'm still good friends with one of the counter guys. He usually gives me pretty good deals on parts, and I think I can get a new cluster at cost from him.
Old 4/22/14, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Indeed! I just picked up one as well. We will see how it stacks up to the genuine VCM. (Speed test, ability, etc).

-Matt
Old 4/22/14, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroaviation
Indeed! I just picked up one as well. We will see how it stacks up to the genuine VCM. (Speed test, ability, etc).

-Matt
Cool. So i don't need to bring mine

LEXiiON
Old 4/22/14, 03:25 PM

So as I stated in the other Thread, I recieved the Latest Build (Dual Path) '14 Premium Gauge Cluster from Tousley (Milage set to 2,000 Miles, I have 1,800 on my '13, but I wanted a little leeway until I do the swap)

As I told everybody in the other Thread, the reason that I am swaping to a late build '14 Cluster, is that I want to have the ability to use the 2 Key "Track-Key" option (instead of just having the '13 Option that just locks in the 1 Tune via the Pro-Cal II.)

My question is....Should I just go ahead and have my PCM Flashed to a '14-MY part # and Strategy?? (I have a good friend with a '14 with the Exact Same Options)

I ask this because even though I will now have the "Dual-Path" '14 Cluster, when I go and try to order the "GT Track-Key" from Ford Racing, wont they require a 2014-MY Ford VIN #?...And even if I give them My buddies '14 VIN, wont the download sent to my Dealer from FRPP be looking for a 2014-MY Part # on the PCM??.....Matt, Jim, Dan, LEXiiON! Your thoughts?..

Also, do I go to my Dealer to get the instructions on how to remove the Dash Moldings around the Cluster?....Is it a PITA job to remove these moldings? I will be the 1st to say, that I am a GIANT BABY when it comes to possibly scratching, or bending something up, when it comes to my Stang.! Not that
I'm afraid to do the work, but I dont want to be breaking any clips or tabs either!...

I almost Fell Over when I saw the ENTIRE Interior removed when one of you guys did the SAT/NAV install!!.....I would rather swap out my Rotating assembly in my Coyote, then perform the Brain Surgery that that Pic showed!.....I dont have to tell you guys that ALL of you are freaking Brilliant with BOTH your Minds, and your Hands!....

Sean.

Last edited by Sean Reilly; 4/22/14 at 03:29 PM.
Old 4/22/14, 03:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean Reilly
So as I stated in the other Thread, I recieved the Latest Build (Dual Path) '14 Premium Gauge Cluster from Tousley (Milage set to 2,000 Miles, I have 1,800 on my '13, but I wanted a little leeway until I do the swap)

As I told everybody in the other Thread, the reason that I am swaping to a late build '14 Cluster, is that I want to have the ability to use the 2 Key "Track-Key" option (instead of just having the '13 Option that just locks in the 1 Tune via the Pro-Cal II.)

My question is....Should I just go ahead and have my PCM Flashed to a '14-MY part # and Strategy?? (I have a good friend with a '14 with the Exact Same Options)

I ask this because even though I will now have the "Dual-Path" '14 Cluster, when I go and try to order the "GT Track-Key" from Ford Racing, wont they require a 2014-MY Ford VIN #?...And even if I give them My buddies '14 VIN, wont the download sent to my Dealer from FRPP be looking for a 2014-MY Part # on the PCM??.....Matt, Jim, Dan, LEXiiON! Your thoughts?..

Also, do I go to my Dealer to get the instructions on how to remove the Dash Moldings around the Cluster?....Is it a PITA job to remove these moldings? I will be the 1st to say, that I am a GIANT BABY when it comes to possibly scratching, or bending something up, when it comes to my Stang.! Not that
I'm afraid to do the work, but I dont want to be breaking any clips or tabs either!...

I almost Fell Over when I saw the ENTIRE Interior removed when one of you guys did the SAT/NAV install!!.....I would rather swap out my Rotating assembly in my Coyote, then perform the Brain Surgery that that Pic showed!.....I dont have to tell you guys that ALL of you are freaking Brilliant with BOTH your Minds, and your Hands!....

Sean.
Hi Sean,

Dan or Jim can tell you how to program the 2014 strategy. I am stuck with my 2010
The bezel around the cluster is just pulled off. Grab it carefully and pull. That's it. there are 2x 7mm bolts on the top of the cluster, remove those and pull the cluster out. Before pulling out the cluster, put your steering wheel all the way down. Gives you a little bit more room. Pretty straight forward.
The dash removal is basically a lot easier than changing the rotating assembly You just remove one screw after another, pull things out, be careful not to scratch anything and the dash will just pop out (i couldn't believe how easy it is)..
The only thing i did not do myself on the car, was painting the rear bumper.

Well, engine build is slated for the end of the year. I need 600 ponies

LEXiiON

Last edited by LEXiiON; 4/22/14 at 04:04 PM.
Old 4/22/14, 05:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Did you get track key yet? Does paperwork ask for VIN or PCM code? They may only ask for VIN to verify build date and compatibility. I do not believe there is any difference between 2013 and 2014 part numbers or PCM codes.

You may also need more than just IDS to install track key. I thought I read you need oasis login also.

Last edited by dmhines; 4/22/14 at 05:27 PM.
Old 4/22/14, 10:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the compliment. Wasn't so bad, though. I am pretty comfortable doing this interior stuff, but performance mods intimidate me.

Dan can confirm this as well, but you will probably need to flash the PCM to 2014. That way the PCM knows to look for the Track Key when enabled. And then I would think you will need the as built data as well.

As Dan said, though, I am not certain about the Track key part. Oasis MAY be needed, but we have gotten around that with in other areas using IDS.

Matt is the guy that can best answer you, though.
Old 4/22/14, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

You guys are amazing, great job. So how much would the whole process cost for switching a premium cluster into a base car?(13 ---> 13 auto)
Old 4/23/14, 09:45 AM

Matt, I have finally read through the rest of the other thread... so much information, but i believe i remem reading that with the VCM II clone it may be possible for you to help me reset the odometer, is this really possible?

I only ask bc I was originally going to go through my buddy at a dealer to get the cluster, but after speaking to him about it yesterday, it may be way more expensive than I thought and I was thinking that I would go the route of buying used like the other guys in the thread.
Old 4/24/14, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Sean Reilly
As I told everybody in the other Thread, the reason that I am swapping to a late build '14 Cluster, is that I want to have the ability to use the 2 Key "Track-Key" option (instead of just having the '13 Option that just locks in the 1 Tune via the Pro-Cal II.)

I ask this because even though I will now have the "Dual-Path" '14 Cluster, when I go and try to order the "GT Track-Key" from Ford Racing, wont they require a 2014-MY Ford VIN #?...And even if I give them My buddies '14 VIN, wont the download sent to my Dealer from FRPP be looking for a 2014-MY Part # on the PCM??.....Matt, Jim, Dan, LEXiiON! Your thoughts?.

Sean.
The 14 cluster is the same exact MCU as in the 13 cluster. Its just a different firmware/configuration. The ability to use the track key can exist all the way back to the 12 PCM. However, its not feasible to reverse engineer the firmware to make it all work.

Did you get track key yet? Does paperwork ask for VIN or PCM code? They may only ask for VIN to verify build date and compatibility. I do not believe there is any difference between 2013 and 2014 part numbers or PCM codes.

You may also need more than just IDS to install track key. I thought I read you need oasis login also.
Dan is correct. You need IDS to enable the functionality. However, to fully enable and get the correct calibrations you need to have access to OASIS. While the base part # may be the same, the engineering builds will be different.

Originally Posted by ssjbuu
Matt, I have finally read through the rest of the other thread... so much information, but i believe i remember reading that with the VCM II clone it may be possible for you to help me reset the odometer, is this really possible?

I only ask bc I was originally going to go through my buddy at a dealer to get the cluster, but after speaking to him about it yesterday, it may be way more expensive than I thought and I was thinking that I would go the route of buying used like the other guys in the thread.
YOu cannot change the odometer through IDS. You have to have either a custom written application or use a 3rd party.

I can assist in getting your odometer correct. PM me when you get details.
Old 4/24/14, 10:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Don't forget 2012 Boss 302 allowed Track Key programming. So the non-Track Apps cluster worked with track key .. as well as the older CR3A PCM ....
Old 5/7/14, 08:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

For 2011/12 automatic owners, if you program the PCM into a 2013/14, then you will also need to upgrade to the Select Sport Shift automatic shifter.

If the PCM is programmed, on the old shifter, when you manually put the car into 1, 2 or 3, the PCM will show an error on the cluster (a wrench symbol) that will need to be cleared using a diagnostic tool. It will shift normally, but the PCM is getting confused as it expects Select Sport Shift.

To correct this, get the Select Sport Shift automatic shifter box. You really only need the **** with the button, but the shifter box will still have the 1 2 3 on there which is no longer used. The new box will only show S.

The wires from the **** will need to go all the way to the PCM at the front of the car. I'll outline how to do this later.

You will now have functioning Select Sport Shift.

I have a Select Sport Shift automatic shifter box and **** from a 2013 for sale, by the way, if anyone needs this.

Last edited by jim010; 5/7/14 at 08:36 AM.
Old 5/7/14, 08:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

If you use the Black Box to get the guages functioning and use a modified Cruise switch, then you don't need to get the Select Sport Shift.
Old 5/7/14, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't forget 2012 Boss 302 allowed Track Key programming. So the non-Track Apps cluster worked with track key .. as well as the older CR3A PCM ....
All copperhead PCM's and 2010+ clusters have the ability to do "track key" or dual path calibrations... Its just the firmware that is the limitation... I don't know for the life of me why Ford limits stuff like this. It pisses me off.

-Matt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retrofitting the 4.2 LCD Track Apps cluster