'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

My thoughts on the Electronics Package

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/12, 10:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was born with nothing, and plan to leave with nothing. Inbetween, I'll have a toy or two. I hope to leave behind some debt too, not to my wife or son, but to the creditors. Screw them.
Old 12/27/12, 05:56 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum and Google linked me to this site on a EP question I have. I haven't read all the posts on here to know whether my question have been answered or not. It just appears to be a debate on trade in value haha.
Old 12/27/12, 06:02 PM
GT Member

And apparently I have a crummy computer haha. Anyways My question is I'm considering buying a new GT/CS and I can't decide on the Nav option. Can you still use the GPS after the traffic update "subscription" is up? Second off, are all the features "voice" commanded? And finally What does the subscriptions for XM and Traffic updates cost? I'm just curious because I do a lot of traveling and the GPS feature seems handy along with the other features built in. Plus I don't really care for radio so the extra option to have music on a Hard Drive seems like a pretty cool feature. Just curious on peoples thoughts and opinions on the EP.
Old 12/28/12, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, you can continue to use the GPS without the traffic subscription - you'll just get directions without any traffic or weather information (like most portable GPS units).

Almost all the basic features work with voice command. That does not include the traffic or weather extras but it does include tuning Sirius/XM channels.

Sirius subscriptions vary in cost depending on what you want. There are a variety of music packages ranging from $10 to $18 per month with discounts for 6-month and annual subscriptions. I believe the traffic/weather add-on is $5.95 per month. You can find more on their website www.siriusxm.com.

BTW, the radio in a Mustang is Sirius not XM. The pricing is the same but the channel numbers are different and it affects your subscription account. Plus, you can't combine Sirius radios with XM radios on the same account.
Old 12/28/12, 01:44 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian_289
And apparently I have a crummy computer haha. Anyways My question is I'm considering buying a new GT/CS and I can't decide on the Nav option. Can you still use the GPS after the traffic update "subscription" is up? Second off, are all the features "voice" commanded? And finally What does the subscriptions for XM and Traffic updates cost? I'm just curious because I do a lot of traveling and the GPS feature seems handy along with the other features built in. Plus I don't really care for radio so the extra option to have music on a Hard Drive seems like a pretty cool feature. Just curious on peoples thoughts and opinions on the EP.

You might want to skip the nav option. I'll admit, it looks great. The problem is that it's really not that great. For example, the hard drive you mentioned. You'll have to rip all of your CDs, one at a time, onto the hard drive. Many of them might be unrecognized by the data base that's stored on the hard drive, leading to songs having the title "Track 1", "Track 2" etc.

You'll still get Sirius radio without the NAV option. You can still get SYNC without the NAV option. You can subscribe to the SYNC services for your navigating needs or use a phone.

Overall, I think the NAV is a little expensive and I think support for it is hugely lacking. If I could do it again, I'd skip the NAV and go with an aftermarket unit that's compatible with SYNC.
Old 12/28/12, 01:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven

You might want to skip the nav option. I'll admit, it looks great. The problem is that it's really not that great. For example, the hard drive you mentioned. You'll have to rip all of your CDs, one at a time, onto the hard drive. Many of them might be unrecognized by the data base that's stored on the hard drive, leading to songs having the title "Track 1", "Track 2" etc.

You'll still get Sirius radio without the NAV option. You can still get SYNC without the NAV option. You can subscribe to the SYNC services for your navigating needs or use a phone.

Overall, I think the NAV is a little expensive and I think support for it is hugely lacking. If I could do it again, I'd skip the NAV and go with an aftermarket unit that's compatible with SYNC.
I agree. I skipped nav myself. I have friends that have factory nav in their car and are forced to buy upgrades as streets change or get added. I use my iPhone and just update new maps as they come out.
Old 12/28/12, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
It was worth the Extra Money to not freeze in the winter or burn up in the summer or Vise versa since my wife has her own Temperature control.
If it was just Nav I have a 4 Y/O Garmin that does good with more features than the stock Nav unit. It was the rest of the Electronics Package I wanted.
Old 12/29/12, 06:20 AM
GT Member

To each their own. I love the nav in my EP. I love having a giant color LCD to give me the SYNC options I can speak, and I love how i can see the turns coming up without sticking all sorts of attachments on my windshield.
Old 12/29/12, 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'd get the EP the next time I order a mustang I only bought a left over V6 on the lot cause I got it for a great price
Old 12/29/12, 06:51 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The nav is definitely worth it. As MSQR said, no need for anything stuck to your windshield. Plus thieves break into cars and steal portable GPS units. You won't have it hanging off your windshield or a round circle imprint from a suction cup saying "hey, I have a GPS but I took it down while I ran into the store so it's still in the car for you to break into and steal".

It has a "dead reckoning" feature which is if you lose satellite signal, especially in a tunnel, the GPS still knows where you are and continues showing you. A Garmin can't do that.

There is also the "wow factor" seeing it lit up and what it can do when your friends and spectators look at it.

The climate control is awesome. Just set your temp and let the unit take over.

On the down side, the hard drive is a pain to get music there, but once it's in, it works nicely. I use a memory stick or a portable hard drive in the hidden USB2 port instead.

Someone mentioned new roads and updates. Well, if a new road is being built, whether you have a factory nav or a Garmin, it's going to be a while before the road is added to the database. Then again, how often do you see a new road being built in your area? Garmin does do updates for a low price 4 times a year, the factory nav is EXPENSIVE to update and does lack a lot of POI's that you find in a Garmin. If a POI can't be found, as long as you have physical address, you can still get there, and you can just ad it as a favorite for the next time!
Old 12/29/12, 08:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SeattleStang
Alright, glib comment aside, I can not only afford one, I can afford TWO GTs. That's neither here nor there, that's just to respond to your dumb comment. And I absolutely realize that it only adds about $30 - $40 a month on an average 72 month purchase. Hell I could get add it without blinking an eye and I wouldn't even notice it. That's not my point. If you are one like me who always get the next urge way too soon, like in a year or 2 years to trade it in, you're going to be paying more money to get rid of the car I would guess by the tune of oh, $2000, because I don't think the Electronics Package does diddly squat for a Mustang on trade. I think if you took a 2013 GT premium with everything on it, loaded, with or without the Electronics Package to trade in in 2015, you ain't getting any value for the Electronics Package. They'll say it's an old model, and the inherent value in a car like this is just the intangible aspects, the V8, the power, etc. And technology constantly changes, and for a package like this, everything you see will be low tech in a year let alone 2 years. It screws you if you're an early trade-in'er and want the latest model. My point is just because Ford prices this package ridiculously at 2K, it doesn't make a 36K Mustang really worth the 38K you'd finance on it. It'd be about the same as a $36K Mustang in value I guarantee you on a short term trade.
I realize I'm late to this thread and you've already ordered the car but if you truly can afford 2 gts and can add the ep without blinking an eye and not even notice it, why obsess over the trade in value? That doesn't add up. Sounds like you are posturing. If you are that well off, why not get the options you want and enjoy the car while you have it?
Old 12/29/12, 08:53 AM
GT Member

Why is this even an argument? If you want the electronics package, get it. If you don't, don't. If you're primary concern is trade in value, do the research and buy the car with the highest projected resale value. Why do you need the forum to justify your decision?
Old 12/29/12, 06:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had it in my 2010 GT and I did NOT have it in my 2012 Boss (not available) or my 2013 GT. I missed having it and although i wanted to add NAV to the 2013 I refused to install any of the kits that are currently on the market. I hated where the display is located on all the current after-market kits.

My "new" 2011 GT500 has the EP and I enjoy this car that much more now...
Old 12/29/12, 06:08 PM
MOTM Committee Member

His questions have already been answered in another thread. I'm pretty sure he's getting it. I think it's a wise choice
Old 12/29/12, 11:35 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
His questions have already been answered in another thread. I'm pretty sure he's getting it. I think it's a wise choice
Actually, the OP ordered his car from me several months ago (with the electronics package, GT track package, leather Recaro seats, Shaker Pro Audio, etc.) and then backed out due to some work issues. His car is here at the dealership I work for and it's available for sale for a rediculously low sale price that's way under the factory invoice total. Somebody should fly up here and drive it home!

$42,820 = MSRP
- $4,370 = Our Discount
- $1,500 = Factory Rebate
----------------------------
$36,950 = Price after rebate

Click here for lots of large pics, equipment, etc.

Click here to view the factory window sticker.

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 12/29/12 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12/29/12, 11:56 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I was referring to Ian_289, but dang that's a great deal!!
Old 12/30/12, 12:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I was referring to Ian_289, but dang that's a great deal!!
Too bad it doesn't have the Glass Roof huh?
Old 12/30/12, 12:05 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

Too bad it doesn't have the Glass Roof huh?
Hecks yeah pat! You wouldn't even have to change your username
Old 12/30/12, 01:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Hecks yeah pat! You wouldn't even have to change your username
Haha yeah I would! RaceRed50, but meh Race Red is prob my least favorite color - fire engine red :P
Old 12/30/12, 03:55 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

Haha yeah I would! RaceRed50, but meh Race Red is prob my least favorite color - fire engine red :P
I think u would probably go with a lava red '12 fully loaded. It'd probably be 1 of 1

Quick Reply: My thoughts on the Electronics Package