'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Installing illuminated door sill plates today

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/13, 09:09 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing illuminated door sill plates today

Howdy folks,

I just purchased a 2013 Mustang with the 3.7 V6 & six speed manual.

I have a set of the illuminated door sill plates part number
8R3Z-63132A08-AC

I hooked a 9v battery up to the supplied red/black wires off the LED, it lights up in WHITE.

Do these have the capability to light up in blue, green, red, etc. Or are they just white?

I have seen this write up http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...with-pics.html

Pretty informative, but in my install instructions that where included in the ford box, it looks like you can hook the wires off the door sill LEDs to various wires on the car to achieve the desired illumination color?

Any insight on this?

thanks

Earl
Old 2/23/13, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

If you have the MyColor set up then I believe you can.
Old 2/23/13, 10:51 AM
GT Member

I do not have mycolor or the ambient light package. base model. it looks like you determine the color by hooking it up to various wires, anybody know anything about that?
Old 2/23/13, 10:56 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Do a general search and you will find the threads about that. I have seen a few. I recall reading that you do mix various wires to create different colors. I also remember that all wires combined make white.

The only thing that stopped me from getting these was messing with the a-pillar, headliner, and pulling up various panels. I also felt I couldn't do a clean enough job.

Post pics!
Old 2/23/13, 03:35 PM
GT Member

I tried, I failed. The wire colors are different than what is listed for all the how to articles online. The green with yellow wire is present however the black with blue is not present. I tried various other wires and the led lights would not illuminate.

I installed the sill plates unhooked and called it a day. I know this isn't difficult, but for whatever reason, two wires are defeating me.

Maybe the problem is that i Am using tap splice connectors, I never have good luck with them
Old 2/24/13, 11:42 AM
GT Member

Well, the gray wire with the purple tracer is the correct wire replacing the previous black/blue tracer, the green with yellow tracer wire is still present. I hooked up the LED wires as outlined in the forums and the LEDs do not work. They shine just fine with a 9v battery, nothing when hooked to the car.

I can't figure out what the issue could possibly be, it's two wires, what gives?
Old 7/28/13, 10:59 PM

I just put in my set today.
I purchased a set of pull offs from Roush off ebay. The wire tail on the sill has four black wires into one clip. With the non smooth part of the clip facing up, from left to right they are black/neg - red - green - blue. Combining the green and blue will give you the closest to the your dash lights. Tying together red/green/blue will give you white. Red and blue will probably be purple but I didn't check that combo.
On the 2013, at the A pillar you will tie into the yellow/green wire - this one will go to the color wires. The black/yellow stripe will be tied into for the black wire on the sill plates.
The only problem I had was when the job was done. I'd disconnected the neg battery wire like a good boy, reattaching it a couple times to check my work before buttoning it back up. Apparently, my Vehicle Security Protection (dealer installed) scrambled itself and wouldn't let the car start. F**k. I had to have it towed to the dealer, but - of course being Sunday - it'll have to wait til tomorrow for a fix.
Old 8/6/13, 04:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I used this guide from American Muscle, using wire taps, and had no issues.. It shows for coupe and convertible, and also for cars with and without ambient lighting... The breakdown of the this wire = this color is on page 4, step 12...

Good Luck

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
illuminated door sills install.pdf (890.8 KB, 1937 views)

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 8/6/13 at 04:28 AM.
Old 2/10/14, 05:17 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
thank you so much for that PDF! That will help greatly.
Old 5/20/17, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
I used this guide from American Muscle, using wire taps, and had no issues.. It shows for coupe and convertible, and also for cars with and without ambient lighting... The breakdown of the this wire = this color is on page 4, step 12...

Good Luck

Wiring schematic. Ok so someone posted instruction for wiring the lighted door sills. PERFECT....but I need this for a 2015 base model v6 convertible. I can't find it anywhere with out paying 40 for instructions, wire and zip ties ,seriously.