'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Installed new front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/13, 08:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Subiaur
On Sunday I installed my Kappas 682.9cf using tousley speakers adapters and metra harness but... I did not change positive and negative wires from metra.. why? I follow the wires on te OEM speakers and at the tweeter you can see the polarity.. look the pictures attached and tell me If metra and I are wrong or the tweeters are wrong?????

Sounds nice, but the test wil be tomorrow.. today I just listen like 30seconds of music.

Hi Subiaur,

Where did you installed the cross-over with those speakers (little black box) ?

Is it inside the enclosure or did you put it inside the door panel ?

Do you still recomend those, because I'm still hesitating between those Infinity's or the Pioneer's..
Old 4/17/13, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey folks. For a 2014 door speaker install I understand I need the spacer as shown above. Is the same one used for both driver and passenger sides? In other words, I should just order 2 of part number 4R3Z-18B947-AA? Thanks for the help.
Old 5/13/13, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dineau
Hi Subiaur,

Where did you installed the cross-over with those speakers (little black box) ?

Is it inside the enclosure or did you put it inside the door panel ?

Do you still recomend those, because I'm still hesitating between those Infinity's or the Pioneer's..
Hi, sorry for reply too late..

I installed the cross-over inside door panel. Make sure to hold it with some wire strap because with the double-sided tape the cross-over its going to take off when too hot and block your window.

Im not an expert so I dont know if this Infinitys will sound better than Pioneers, I chose the Infinitys thanks to other guys from this forum.

What do you think about the polarity in my installation?
Old 5/17/13, 03:11 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

I swap out my front speakers today
I found some POLK DB571 on sale
installation pretty easy about 1hr
Attached Thumbnails Installed new front speakers-20130517_121103.jpg   Installed new front speakers-20130517_121108.jpg  
Old 5/17/13, 04:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JPC
I swap out my front speakers today
I found some POLK DB571 on sale
installation pretty easy about 1hr
Aaaaaannnndddd how did it sound? I'm considering the same speakers.
Old 5/19/13, 02:28 PM
Cobra Member

Yea I'm also wanting to do Polks. I would like to know if they sound good also. Was there any modifications you had to do?
Old 5/21/13, 08:05 AM
Bullitt Member

The speaker upgrade is mad easy. I went to best buy and bought the harness, then just took the door apart. I watched the vid of it, and it was easy to do. Just make sure you have a trq bit.

I actually toosed in a set of Pioneers I had in my 65, which is sitting for the moment. They are the circular ones, so there is space. I basically created my own bracket and tossed them in. Sounds good to. I will probably get a set of new speakers for Roxxie once I get my 65 back on the road. But the speaker swap is mad easy. Does not take long at all.
Old 6/11/13, 09:42 AM
Cobra Member

I'm going to swamp out the door subs but am I right by saying there aren't any subs that will fit in the door enclosure properly except the kickers from Shelby and even those you have to change the outside covering? I already have the Polks on order and I'm going to do the front door speakers first then maybe the rears even tho most saying don't bother.
Old 6/11/13, 11:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
I'm going to swamp out the door subs but am I right by saying there aren't any subs that will fit in the door enclosure properly except the kickers from Shelby and even those you have to change the outside covering? I already have the Polks on order and I'm going to do the front door speakers first then maybe the rears even tho most saying don't bother.
You should replace the door subs with 8" mid bass woofers, and add a dedicate sub in the trunk. You will be much happier overall.
Old 6/11/13, 02:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

You should replace the door subs with 8" mid bass woofers, and add a dedicate sub in the trunk. You will be much happier overall.
Trying to find on that will fit with the factory inside door panel and speaker cover.
Old 6/11/13, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Trying to find on that will fit with the factory inside door panel and speaker cover.
How about these:

http://www.jlaudio.com/zr800-cw-car-...s-driver-91123
Old 6/11/13, 04:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ColSaulTigh
Thanks but I don't think these will fit in the door.
Old 6/11/13, 05:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes they will. I'll attach a picture later when I'm off work and at my computer.
Old 6/11/13, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Why won't they? I haven't pulled my door panel yet (that's coming this weekend), but they should fit. I've read other forums and other members say these fit.

I'll take some measurements this weekend and let you know for sure.
Old 6/11/13, 09:05 PM
Cobra Member

Cool beans guys, thanks for the info. Yea if you could post a pic that would be great!
Old 6/11/13, 11:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Why won't they? I haven't pulled my door panel yet (that's coming this weekend), but they should fit. I've read other forums and other members say these fit.

I'll take some measurements this weekend and let you know for sure.
I assumed it was a depth issue. The speakers seem to be mounted really shallow. If I could maintain the factory appearance and upgrade the subs, WOW. That would rock. I'm subd to see your results. Thanks to both laser and you for the info.
Old 6/12/13, 05:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I assumed it was a depth issue. The speakers seem to be mounted really shallow. If I could maintain the factory appearance and upgrade the subs, WOW. That would rock. I'm subd to see your results. Thanks to both laser and you for the info.
I've got a separate thread HERE which will document my upgrade/install. This weekend I plan on installing the Alpine components, and I'll take measurements for the subs. If it's simply a matter of depth, you should be able to fix that with a spacer ring. Depending on the excursion of the JL's, it should work. I'll do the measurements and post results.

Last edited by ColSaulTigh; 6/12/13 at 11:53 AM.
Old 6/12/13, 10:12 AM
Cobra R Member

I've got a separate thread HERE which will document my upgrade/install. This weekend I plan on installing the Alpine components, and I'll take measurements for the subs. If it's simply a matter of depth, you should be able to fix that with a spacer ring. Depending on the excursion of the JL's, it should work. I'll do the measurements and post results.
My understanding was you'd have to top mount the sub. With the right grill, it would look fine but it's not the look I'm going for. Thanks for doing all that! I'll cross my fingers.
Old 6/12/13, 07:58 PM
V6 Member

I am very close to a solution for those who want to keep the stock door sub amp and wiring and the factory speaker grill and trim ring. In short, a better sounding replacement speaker behind all the stock trim. I am now waiting on the third trial of a custom adapter/modified 6.5" speaker that sounds great. The speaker is more efficient than the stock 8" and sounds better. Would that be the solution you are looking for?
Old 6/12/13, 08:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Shipey
I am very close to a solution for those who want to keep the stock door sub amp and wiring and the factory speaker grill and trim ring. In short, a better sounding replacement speaker behind all the stock trim. I am now waiting on the third trial of a custom adapter/modified 6.5" speaker that sounds great. The speaker is more efficient than the stock 8" and sounds better. Would that be the solution you are looking for?
Yessir...lemme kno Shipey!

Quick Reply: Installed new front speakers