Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

How do I wire lighted door sills?

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/11, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I wire lighted door sills?

I have the base 2010 and might be able to get a set of lighted door sills cheap. The sills can light up in various colors. My question is how do I wire up to the plug so that it comes on when I open the door. I know I won't be able to change the colors, I just want it to light up. Can it be done? I just want to know before I buy the sills.
Old 8/4/11, 12:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaysmtang
I have the base 2010 and might be able to get a set of lighted door sills cheap. The sills can light up in various colors. My question is how do I wire up to the plug so that it comes on when I open the door. I know I won't be able to change the colors, I just want it to light up. Can it be done? I just want to know before I buy the sills.
There is probably going to be four wires. 3 wires supply voltage for RED, GREEN and BLUE. 1 wire will be negative ground. What color do you want to use? If you want WHITE then you will have to supply voltage simultaneously to all three Red Blue & Green which creates white light. If you are choosing color instead of white, supply voltage only to the Red, Green or Blue. You can create other colors by supplying voltage to only Red & Green (Yellow), Red & Blue (Purple), Green & Blue (Cyan- matches Ford Ice Blue)

You can experiment lighting the sills with a 9v battery with a snap on lead before you install.

The best source for power is from the wires going to the dome/map lights. I would remove the A-pillar trim on both sides which easily snap off/snap on. The dome/map light also snaps off the headliner easily. Run a (+) and (-) wire from the dome/map light area down both A-pillars to the door sill areas. I recommend 16 gauge speaker wire with joined (+) & (-) strands that can be separated. It's very easy to stuff the wire behind the front edge of the headliner and out to the pillar areas. For the (+) wire tap into the colored wire (I forgot the color) that supplies the dome lamp bulb. The (-) will be the black wire coming from the dome lamp bulb. Do not tap at all into the green wire coming from the map light switches.

With the original sill plates and kick panel trim removed, you can route the wire to the sill area where you will make your connection to the lighted sill plates. Your positive wire goes to the sill plates wire harness to color light of your choice (or all three for white) while the negative wire goes to the negative wire in the sill plate harness.

Now you can re-install the A-pillar trim, kick panels then fasten the lighted sill plates in place.

Last edited by watchdevil; 8/4/11 at 12:45 AM.
Old 8/4/11, 05:20 AM

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure I could make it work.
Old 8/4/11, 06:52 AM
GT Member

Kool explanation watchdevil. Hey jaysmtang, did you get the lighted door sill plates? If so, were you able to get them to work?
Old 8/4/11, 04:08 PM

There may even be plugs under each sill already. No reason for ford to have two different harness's. But then again you never know!
Old 8/4/11, 04:31 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing a write up on this. My mom just got an 08 Pony Package and lighted sills may make a cool Christmas gift. Ah hell, I'll do the writeup, but it'll be in a few months.
Old 8/5/11, 09:49 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by amplifier28
Kool explanation watchdevil. Hey jaysmtang, did you get the lighted door sill plates? If so, were you able to get them to work?
They are suppose to come today. If so, I may try to put them on this weekend.
Old 8/6/11, 12:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Jaysmtang
They are suppose to come today. If so, I may try to put them on this weekend.
Oh now u got me wanting a set after convincing myself I do not need to spend any more money on this car! LOL!
Old 8/6/11, 08:14 AM
GT Member

Is there a plug there already?
Old 8/6/11, 09:11 AM
Bullitt Member

i did a write on my 08 gt a while back need to put a link up

https://themustangsource.com/f692/li...issues-479490/

here you go it really is easy if you have a 09-12 model i do believe that that its just plug and play just plug 2 connectors together and it should work 09 and below models it's some wire splicing with wire connectors not hard at all. i even post some pics of the ford instructions also enjoy.

Last edited by skullzero; 8/6/11 at 09:16 AM.
Old 2/23/13, 10:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by watchdevil
There is probably going to be four wires. 3 wires supply voltage for RED, GREEN and BLUE. 1 wire will be negative ground. What color do you want to use? If you want WHITE then you will have to supply voltage simultaneously to all three Red Blue & Green which creates white light. If you are choosing color instead of white, supply voltage only to the Red, Green or Blue. You can create other colors by supplying voltage to only Red & Green (Yellow), Red & Blue (Purple), Green & Blue (Cyan- matches Ford Ice Blue)

You can experiment lighting the sills with a 9v battery with a snap on lead before you install.

The best source for power is from the wires going to the dome/map lights. I would remove the A-pillar trim on both sides which easily snap off/snap on. The dome/map light also snaps off the headliner easily. Run a (+) and (-) wire from the dome/map light area down both A-pillars to the door sill areas. I recommend 16 gauge speaker wire with joined (+) & (-) strands that can be separated. It's very easy to stuff the wire behind the front edge of the headliner and out to the pillar areas. For the (+) wire tap into the colored wire (I forgot the color) that supplies the dome lamp bulb. The (-) will be the black wire coming from the dome lamp bulb. Do not tap at all into the green wire coming from the map light switches.

With the original sill plates and kick panel trim removed, you can route the wire to the sill area where you will make your connection to the lighted sill plates. Your positive wire goes to the sill plates wire harness to color light of your choice (or all three for white) while the negative wire goes to the negative wire in the sill plate harness.

Now you can re-install the A-pillar trim, kick panels then fasten the lighted sill plates in place.

My question is this, the wire harness supplied with the dooor sill kit has two wires, red and black, hooked to LED lights.

Testing the LED lights with a 9V battery, they light up WHITE....so, is the color of the LED determined by which color wires I tap into on the car itself?

My car is a 2013 V6, completely a base model, no options at all, no my color, no ambient light pkg, nothing.

thanks

Earl
Old 3/30/15, 05:23 PM

Hi guys. I have a 2010 base model GT. I bought the illuminated door sill plates and hooked one up to the wires specified by American muscle's guide but it won't light up. I have a multimeter which isn't picking up any power from the wires I'm hooked up to....but when I disconnect them the dome light stops working, and when I hook them back up it starts working again. I'm kind of stumped here
Old 2/1/24, 08:06 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,539 Likes on 1,874 Posts
FORD ACCESSORY INSTRUCTIONS ALL MODELS GFA Genuine Ford Accessories

Here is a Great Resource with PDF'S of GENUINE FORD ACCESSORY Instructions. This is the FORD Parts Catalog Resource Free Section. Good Place to Poke Around! Mustang Info Starts in 1999. Did not Check Other Models!

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/instructionsheets

Enjoy KC

GUEST VIEWER FORUM UPDATE

Last edited by 05stangkc; 2/1/24 at 08:12 PM.