Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Help: (Re?)installing OEM radio but upgrade to 8”

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/24, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: (Re?)installing OEM radio but upgrade to 8”

I have a 2014 3.7 V6 base 6-speed manual mustang that I bought off of a person who was not an acquaintance of mine. I don’t know what OEM radio was original to the car because a previous owner installed one of those Phoenix Automotive 12” “Tesla” screens (see photo). What I do know is there’s a sync badge under the radio, my steering wheel has voice/phone controls, and I have one usb port.

The Tesla screen is just a 12” android tablet that controls the stereo and climate modules for the car. Any navigation is run through google, the same as a phone or other android device. So I don’t know if the car had OEM nav, or if it was removed for the aftermarket install.

what I would like to do is convert to an 8” OEM setup with nav. I’ve poured over dozens and dozens of posts and YouTube videos on sync 2-3 conversions, other aftermarket upgrades, and shaker 500 “downgrades” but since I don’t know which sync was original, I’m trying to find my starting point to move forward.

im hoping that someone can tell me what radio I had based on the info provided, or tell me what to look for behind the radio to find out. I’m fairly skilled in auto maintenance and electric work, so I’m not afraid to unscrew some bolts and pull some plugs. Once I understand where I’m at, I believe I can get a setup that will work from a few salvage yards in my area. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

For any questions about using additional aftermarket radios, I am open to the idea, but it’s definitely not my preference. The issues I’ve been having with this Tesla screen has driven me to avoid “all in one systems.” Everything is controlled through this tablet and it is clearly made for an Asian consumer market. I’ve been having issues with the climate controls not wanting to work correctly, either the temperature doesn’t adjust, or the blower won’t change speeds or function at all. Sometimes it takes several attempts of restarting the car/power cycles of the tablet for the climate system to work. Here recently, when the car starts up, the climate control hasnt worked entirely.

additionally, the boot-up time for the tablet is at least 3 minutes but can take as long as 7 minutes. It’s as temperamental as a computer. So there is never a time when I can just “get in and go” because the tablet is still booting and I don’t know if I’m going to be able to keep my windshield defrosted in cold weather. After a year of these issues, I’ve reached the limit of my patience. I’ve looked for software patches to address some of the interface issues, but supposedly, my model of tablet is maxed out at the 6.0.4 version. To decrease boot time and fix the other problems, I would have to replace it with a newer model. Granted, some of the climate issues could be with the car itself and not the tablet, but without replacing the climate module or the tablet, it’s hard to diagnose which is the problem.

there’s other issues that are driving me away from newer aftermarket systems like this, so if anyone is interested in those, feel free to ask.

Again, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me to the right thread or send some info on my situation. I’m open to ideas and suggestions

As you can see, no radio bezel or analog controls but there is the sync badge

Boot up screen

USB port in center console (rear)

Steering wheel with controls
Old 2/28/24, 08:29 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Pm Me a Vin or Post It and I Will Supply Original Radio Info.

This Post Should Be Helpful as Well!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...5/#post7079681

Kc