The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 Interior and Audio (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f803/)
-   -   Finally, Control you Radio / Climate with Android < $200 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f803/finally-control-you-radio-climate-android-200-a-523042/)

zeroaviation 6/30/13 07:33 PM

Finally, Control you Radio / Climate with Android < $200

Moderators see note at the end of post after pics.

So, I have seen a few places recently where people are installing 7" tablets into their car. That leaves a major problem, how do you control the radio? or the Climate?
Using the steering wheel to control the radio can become very painful, as well as hacking up the factory climate controls.

I started this project before I put factory Navigation in my car, but since then I decided to finish it and open it up to the community.

First, I am in NO way shape or form a Android, Java, UI developer. My background is strictly c++/c#. So don't laugh at the so-so UI, its my first go a Android/Java :) (WTF Java, why can't I use a string in a switch statement?).

OK, so lets get to the good part :) Here in this video (
) you can see me controlling my 12 Factory Nav car with the app. It performs the exact same functions as the buttons on the control panel. I'm sorry I don't have a video demoing on the non nav car, I do not have one around. But it works exactly the same!

I built this project with two people in mind. The person whom just wants to buy, plugin, download, work. Also, for the hacker in mind. I will provide two kits, one will include all the hardware pre assembled, loaded, and ready to go. I also will provide a un-assembled kit, as well as the API for the hardware itself. What does that mean? Pretty much if you know how to interface with TTL Serial, then you can control via any other device (Arduino, computer, Raspberry Pi, etc)

The firmware for the microcontroller however will be closed source. (Sorry :( I don't think ford would like me sharing their CAN controls for the Infotainment system). However, I will provide a full API to the device itself, along with posting the code for the Android App (Hopefully someone can make it better!)

Here's how it works, In the case of the video I'm running a Nexus 7 with special kernel designed to allow OTG and Charging at the same time. The app sends a plain char sequence to the FT232R, FT232-> Netduino -> Logic -> CAN Controller.

With this post, I'm aiming to see how much interest there is in this project actually getting into peoples hands. I'm not doing this to make any money. (If it wasn't for Ford's proprietary CAN info, I would post the whole project up).

Unfortunately, Since this project is now in Beta. Cost of hardware will be fairly High (~$175) I hope that can come down if i get enough interest to buy parts in bulk.

Let me know what you think, if your interested in picking up some hardware, or how you think it can be improved.

Whats on the horizion? 13/14 Cluster in 11-12 (I'm close :D)

Thanks!

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/3681/csr.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img11/6011/1p4o.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img811/2972/rm0f.png

Moderators: I sent a request 3 weeks ago about advertising information through the contact link. I have not got a response unfortuantly :( Like I said earlier in this post, I would like to sale this hardware at a very low cost. But I dont want to overstep any lines and get the mighty ban hammer. This is product is made by me in my garage, and is partially open source. Not looking to make money but to solve the Tablet Mustang problem. Please reach out to me via PM

Ninjak 6/30/13 09:29 PM

WOW !!!! So that was what up your sleeve....Now that combined with the OttoNovi system would be killer! I mean reall killer ! Dam !.......Heh you need to hook up with someone who still has it and get this software to work on their system.....That would be sooooo nice. Their hardware working with this system...dam.

Question 2...If you did the tablet mod, and say you had a regular shaker 500, could the screens show up on the tablet ? Or even in the regular display on the shaker 500, and the AC controls on the tablet ? I mean there have to be a way...Hell Kenwood is doing just that with the Maestro unit.....

Earlsays 6/30/13 10:08 PM

I have a base model. Would I be able to retrofit this using a factory ford screen and nav bezel?

zeroaviation 7/1/13 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ninjak (Post 6649574)
WOW !!!! So that was what up your sleeve....Now that combined with the OttoNovi system would be killer! I mean reall killer ! Dam !.......Heh you need to hook up with someone who still has it and get this software to work on their system.....That would be sooooo nice. There hardware working with this system...dam.

Question 2...If you did the tablet mod, and say you had a regular shaker 500, could the screens show up on the tablet ? Or even in the regular display on the shaker 500, and the AC controls on the tablet ? I mean there have to be a way...Hell Kenwood is doing just that with the Maestro unit.....

If anyone does still have the ottoNovi, I would be more than happy to have a look and see if it can be "adjusted" :)

I did not research past just controlling the ACM & Climate control. However, it can be done. If i get enough interest I will research further.

Originally Posted by Earlsays (Post 6649585)
I have a base model. Would I be able to retrofit this using a factory ford screen and nav bezel?

Unfortunately you cannot use the Factory Navigation bezel with a non nav car. (Not out of the box anyway).

It is possible though, to create an automatic climate control just like the nav cars have, but would require a fair amount of development.

Rando 7/1/13 06:51 AM

I want to do this exact setup. The new Nexus 7 will be here any day. If I can put a 7" tablet in my car without losing functionality and keep the price below $300(including price of tablet), I'm sold.

R3troGT 7/1/13 08:28 AM

Very cool stuff. How are you sending the commands to the unit? By cable or by Bluetooth?

Does Ford/Sync/Microsoft have a public API?

Matt's 95 Stang 7/1/13 08:32 AM

I like it. I have not cut up my factory radio bezel like Stanglife has because I dont want to loose all my buttons yet. But if this will replace all the lost buttons I am all for it.

What exactly are you selling that for that price? The tablet, app, and cable? Do you have just the app online for download beta testing yet? I will be a guinnepig if needed.

Matthew

Ninjak 7/1/13 09:24 AM

Dam tempted to pick another OttoNavi system to see if you can mod it with your software...

zeroaviation 7/1/13 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rando (Post 6649677)
I want to do this exact setup. The new Nexus 7 will be here any day. If I can put a 7" tablet in my car without losing functionality and keep the price below $300, I'm sold.

It can be done! The Nexus 7 is the perfect candidate for this swap. (The GPS in it is darn near perfect).

Originally Posted by R3troGT (Post 6649732)
Very cool stuff. How are you sending the commands to the unit? By cable or by Bluetooth?

Does Ford/Sync/Microsoft have a public API?

I started the project using Bluetooth, but got way to much interference with the sync unit. I have then switched over to OTG with a FT232R USB->Serial converter (TTL).

Ford does not have a public API unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang (Post 6649734)
I like it. I have not cut up my factory radio bezel like Stanglife has because I dont want to loose all my buttons yet. But if this will replace all the lost buttons I am all for it.

What exactly are you selling that for that price? The tablet, app, and cable? Do you have just the app online for download beta testing yet? I will be a guinnepig if needed.

Matthew

I'm selling just the hardware (OBD Cable, and control unit, cables) this does NOT include the tablet. I do not have the app online yet.

I'd be more than happy to sale the hardware. (I'm putting it out at cost, like i said in previous post, this is NOT to make money.)

It would be great to find a few people who would be interested in helping the development of this. For example, working over GoToMeeting while i interact with you car.

-Matt

Rando 7/1/13 10:41 AM

How hard is it to set up? The $175 price is the killer but honestly this is the #1 mod I want for my car and I can't be the only one. If it came down do it I would probably spend the $175 as long as it guaranteed full functionality and there was some type of warranty/support. I could live with the current app but would prefer some type of dashboard layout

Maybe you should start a kickstarter. If there's not enough interest for just the Mustang then you could expand it to other vehicles.

BadHabit2Break 7/1/13 11:23 AM

You definately have my attention.

So for your hardware and software, and buying a Nexus 7....you come out just over $300...not bad.

Can you program the radio stations also? I know this was a big thing when you mounted the tablet in the dash and removed the buttons.

zeroaviation 7/1/13 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rando (Post 6649815)
How hard is it to set up? The $175 price is the killer but honestly this is the #1 mod I want for my car and I can't be the only one. If it came down do it I would probably spend the $175 as long as it guaranteed full functionality and there was some type of warranty/support. I could live with the current app but would prefer some type of dashboard layout

Maybe you should start a kickstarter. If there's not enough interest for just the Mustang then you could expand it to other vehicles.

I'm not doing this to make money, so kickstarter is out. But I would defiantly be interested in expanding to other vehicles.

Its as easy as plugging the device in your OBD port (or splicing in radio harness) and Plugging it into your Device.

Originally Posted by BadHabit2Break (Post 6649841)
You definately have my attention.

So for your hardware and software, and buying a Nexus 7....you come out just over $300...not bad.

Can you program the radio stations also? I know this was a big thing when you mounted the tablet in the dash and removed the buttons.

I have not tried programming stations to memory. I'll give that a go this evening.

What your paying for from me would be programmed hardware for the mustang at cost. Everything else, the API, the app (which will be posted on github later) is 100% free.

Rando 7/1/13 01:06 PM

Is there a dash kit that will fit a Nexus 7? I'd ideally like to be able to remove the tablet any time I wanted to.

BadHabit2Break 7/1/13 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by zeroaviation (Post 6649861)
I'm not doing this to make money, so kickstarter is out. But I would defiantly be interested in expanding to other vehicles.

Its as easy as plugging the device in your OBD port (or splicing in radio harness) and Plugging it into your Device.

I have not tried programming stations to memory. I'll give that a go this evening.

What your paying for from me would be programmed hardware for the mustang at cost. Everything else, the API, the app (which will be posted on github later) is 100% free.

Let me...if so...I will pull the trigger on this.

Originally Posted by Rando (Post 6649901)
Is there a dash kit that will fit a Nexus 7? I'd ideally like to be able to remove the tablet any time I wanted to.

Your gonna have to fab yours up.

MyStang2010GB 7/1/13 07:54 PM

I am definitely in for this project!!!

Matt's 95 Stang 7/2/13 07:06 AM

Forgive me for asking but I want to make sure I have it right. So you are selling the cable that will go from the tablet (can I use my Galaxy 7.0 Plus or do I have to have the Nexus) to the OBDII port (I wouldnt want to cut up my radio harness), the software or "control unit" for $175? Provided you are there to help with any issues that might come up I am in.

Matthew

amplifier28 7/7/13 11:58 PM

Nice! Will this not work on a base mustang?

zeroaviation 7/8/13 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB (Post 6650083)
I am definitely in for this project!!!

Great!

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang (Post 6650258)
Forgive me for asking but I want to make sure I have it right. So you are selling the cable that will go from the tablet (can I use my Galaxy 7.0 Plus or do I have to have the Nexus) to the OBDII port (I wouldnt want to cut up my radio harness), the software or "control unit" for $175? Provided you are there to help with any issues that might come up I am in.

Matthew

Correct. I cannot speak however if it will work with the Galaxy 7, as it uses a different style cable. Also, the firmware i use on the Nexus 7 is to allow OTG and charging at the same time. The device will connect to the OBD port (you dont have to splice if you dont want too).

I'm willing to look at making it work with the Galaxy 7 if you want to help out with troubleshooting etc. (That goes for any Android tablet).

Originally Posted by amplifier28 (Post 6653416)
Nice! Will this not work on a base mustang?

Yes, this will work on a base mustang!

zeroaviation 7/8/13 06:28 AM

Update!
Since I have gotten a fair amount of interest in this. I'm re-factoring the hardware/software to make it a little more robust and up-gradable.

Look for availability by the end of the week! Along with the API, and Android app hosted on codeplex.

-Matt

Rando 7/8/13 07:00 AM

Fun fun. Nexus 7 Gen 2 might be announced on 10th and 11th