Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Finally, Control you Radio / Climate with Android < $200

Old 9/1/13, 04:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im in. Nexus 7 ready for install
Old 9/5/13, 03:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely interested in this. Any updates?
Old 9/9/13, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for the late reply guys. Been on vacation!

The hurdle i'm looking at right now is supporting multiple devices. When i started this I was only focused on the Nexus 7. Now that people are putting all types of devices in, i'm going to starting thinking harder on bluetooth implementation.

More to come.
-Matt
Old 9/13/13, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I like the work. I am wondering if you can add same controls to a non nav equipped vehicle. Obviously I don't think the climate control would work as the hardware is not there. However having full factory radio control would be very useful, this would allow people to discard the faceplate entirely while adding a tablet to the dash. You would loose the optical drive if the addition is big enough but its not a big loss.
Old 9/16/13, 03:58 PM

Hi, i'm very interested to this system. I'm from ITALY, I bought OTTONAVI SYSTEM last May, but I sent it back immeditely.
Your solution is fantastic. I have a base radio and a v6 2013. I would like to place a double din in my console but all solutions I saw aren't good for me.
So i'm trying to learn something about canbus to replece my dashbord with a self made. Your solution inspire me a new idea. It would be fasntastic to have a tablet in place of corrent display.

I want to have more information about hardware component to mie this solution. Could you sent me something?

Thank you
Old 9/17/13, 07:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

I love this idea and appreciate the work you have been doing. I have a galaxy 7in that I want to install and your idea peaks my interest. However all of the tech talk throws me for a lop. LOL
I will keep an eye on this, my plan is to find a console to customize and have all complete over the winter so I have some time.

Thanks for the work, you must enjoy solving problems.
Old 9/23/13, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Project update.

I've been working really in depth on other projects and have not gotten to devote a-lot of time on this one. However, there has been a ton of interest and I will be starting back on this project this week.

I have also decided to change my hardware profile on this setup.

I will keep this updated.

-Matt
Old 9/26/13, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

What kind of changes are you planning on making?
Old 9/26/13, 07:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
What kind of changes are you planning on making?
Hardware.

Before I was using a SPI to CAN interface which was painful. I have since switched to a chipset that supports native CAN with an external CAN Transceiver. Its going to increase the cost by $15. However, it will deliver much better results! I'm also building my own board and case.

I'm actually working on it as I type this
Old 9/28/13, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Time for an update!

I've made some awesome progress on this project!

The App is now fully functional (as far as access buttons). And the Hardware is 99% done.

I have contacted the Forums admins twice now without response inquiring about Advertising costs and privileges. So I cannot advertise the hardware here until I get that approved If your an ADMIN please PM me with what I need to do.

As I said before, the API and GUI is open source! You can fork or download both from this link (https://zeroradiocontroller.codeplex.com/)

I have not tested this in car yet, but will be able to tomorrow morning. I also have not tested this on any other tablet than the Nexus 7. I do not anticipate it being an issue on any bluetooth enabled tablet, but I cannot guarantee it. However, I will work with you on your specific table as time allow to get it working.

Beta testers wanted for advanced features coming. Windows RT users a plus.

All comments, opinions, suggestions welcome!

Heres a video in action:

Last edited by zeroaviation; 9/28/13 at 01:41 PM.
Old 9/28/13, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
Time for an update!

I've made some awesome progress on this project!

The App is now fully functional (as far as access buttons). And the Hardware is 99% done.

I have contacted the Forums admins twice now without response inquiring about Advertising costs and privileges. So I cannot advertise the hardware here until I get that approved If your an ADMIN please PM me with what I need to do.

As I said before, the API and GUI is open source! You can fork or download both from this link (https://zeroradiocontroller.codeplex.com/)

I have not tested this in car yet, but will be able to tomorrow morning. I also have not tested this on any other tablet than the Nexus 7. I do not anticipate it being an issue on any bluetooth enabled tablet, but I cannot guarantee it. However, I will work with you on your specific table as time allow to get it working.

Beta testers wanted for advanced features coming. Windows RT users a plus.

All comments, opinions, suggestions welcome!

Heres a video in action:
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOwVLf9K0fk
Pick me. Pick me! Wait I don't have pay if I'm the guinea pig right?
Old 9/29/13, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

But in a seriousness I would love to help out; let me know what you need. One of the programing issues I have noticed with my tablet is that is keeps charging when the car is off and the battery is at 100%. Normally I leave the tab on and just put it in sleep mode when I am not driving but sometimes (for reasons I dont know) it will wake up and the combination and being plugged into the car and the screen staying on will and has killed my battery. What I am getting to is would it be possible to keep the tab from drawing power when the car is not on?

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 10/1/13, 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hardware is coming! In the final stages of RF testing. (To make sure the bluetooth module does not interfere with any APIM functions.)

Also waiting still to hear back from Forum Admins about advertising.
Old 10/8/13, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

I know we talked alittle last week but any updates? I am really tempted to buy an AF kit more and more but waiting to see how this works out before I do.

Matthew
Old 10/8/13, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
I know we talked alittle last week but any updates? I am really tempted to buy an AF kit more and more but waiting to see how this works out before I do.

Matthew
Hey first phase is pretty much done (radio control). I'm waiting on hearing back from forum admins before I advertise it.

I'm also looking into some sort of packaging of the device. The boxes i've used so far are a pita.

-Matt
Old 10/29/13, 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Any updates?
Old 10/29/13, 12:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rando
Any updates?
Hey, This project has hit a standstill. The project itself is 100% done. However, I was going to sale them at near cost, but, TMS wants a ridiculous amount of money to advertise/sale here on the forums.

So I have not decided what to do yet, I cannot afford what they want on here to advertise/sale products. I would have to sale 50 of these boxes a month at their current price to make the amount they want.

I could double the price but then no one would buy it.

So i dunno :/

Last edited by zeroaviation; 10/29/13 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10/29/13, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I understand you have to be fair to all vendors, but this guy is not at the level of say Steeda or AM. Wouldn't it make sense to have a different pricing structure for "hobbyist" vendors like Matt?
Old 10/29/13, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

im very interested and really would like to buy one. i would think that they would let you sell this on here without sponsorship since youre a person and not a actual company... so would this make a base radio (non navigation) have the auto heat/ac?
Old 10/29/13, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mfc133
I understand you have to be fair to all vendors, but this guy is not at the level of say Steeda or AM. Wouldn't it make sense to have a different pricing structure for "hobbyist" vendors like Matt?
It would be nice. I don't need any banners or anything like that. I just want to be able to offer the device for sale in the forums, and answer questions without getting banned.

I'm trying to come up with a strategic plan on how I can get this device and the 13/14 cluster converter out to the community without putting myself in debt

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
im very interested and really would like to buy one. i would think that they would let you sell this on here without sponsorship since youre a person and not a actual company... so would this make a base radio (non navigation) have the auto heat/ac?
Auto heat/ac is 100% possible. But its not implemented.

I wish I could sale them. A forum moderator PM'd me, so we will see what happens.

Its just me, no company, just me and my workbench

-Matt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally, Control you Radio / Climate with Android < $200