'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Best for the money addition to 13' Prem. Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/13, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best for the money addition to 13' Prem. Radio?

Hello,
Im looking to spend my money on some audio upgrades. What is the best I can do for the money to improve the stock system?
Old 6/17/13, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the5
Hello,
Im looking to spend my money on some audio upgrades. What is the best I can do for the money to improve the stock system?
1) Define "my money" - what's your budget?

2) What level of installer are you - beginner, hobbyist, enthusiast, professional?

3) Are you looking for specific features? What's most important to you?

4) Do you want to replace the factory head unit or just adapt to it?

You can always check out my build thread for some ideas on what I've got planned...
Old 6/17/13, 08:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ColSaulTigh

2) What level of installer are you - beginner, hobbyist, enthusiast, professional?

You can always check out my build thread for some ideas on what I've got planned...
You missed one question. How lazy are you? That's the part that keeps me from getting my fat buttocks under a dash. Great results on your build so far. Don't let the lazy get you!
Old 6/17/13, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
You missed one question. How lazy are you? That's the part that keeps me from getting my fat buttocks under a dash. Great results on your build so far. Don't let the lazy get you!
It's not the lazy that'll get me, it's the frakkin' heat and humidity here in Florida. I just spent about an hour adjusting the crossovers tonight at 7pm and I was drenched in sweat just from taking the door panels off! Man, it's hot outside...and technically it's not even summer until the 20th!
Old 6/19/13, 05:10 AM
Bullitt Member

1. There really is no budget, just the most bang for my buck for a casual listener. I am not an audio freak. Id like to stay under 1k

2. Hobbyist, I can solder pretty well but I have never made boxes.

3. I just want to improve the overall sound. I also want to improve the top end, I was driving yesterday with the volume maxed out and it still wasnt loud enough for me.

4.I want to keep the factory head unit.
Old 6/19/13, 05:16 AM
Bullitt Member

I was thinking maybe something Like this
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_206SMUS...by-Kicker.html
Old 6/19/13, 12:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by the5
I was thinking maybe something Like this
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_206SMUS...by-Kicker.html
I'd look at this.

http://jlaudio-mobile.shptron.com/c/...ng-coupe-10-up

Just add the amp of your choice.

If you are looking for bang for your buck, adding bass, adding bass is usually the answer. It gives most people the biggest perceived change. This of course depends on what you listen to.
Old 6/19/13, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

$700 trunk sub? Chea right
Old 6/19/13, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

it's a tough call because I don't know what your preference is for sounds. What that kicker and the JL stealthbox provide is a little thump, OEM looks and minimal space taken up in your trunk. I've heard those set-ups before and respect people who go that route because it is convenient. But the sound is soft for the money spent.

That kicker sub is garbage compared to what's out there. I know some people have swapped the W3 in the stealthbox for a w6 and gotten decent results.
Old 6/19/13, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I'd look at this.

http://jlaudio-mobile.shptron.com/c/...ng-coupe-10-up

Just add the amp of your choice.

If you are looking for bang for your buck, adding bass, adding bass is usually the answer. It gives most people the biggest perceived change. This of course depends on what you listen to.
Originally Posted by essque
it's a tough call because I don't know what your preference is for sounds. What that kicker and the JL stealthbox provide is a little thump, OEM looks and minimal space taken up in your trunk. I've heard those set-ups before and respect people who go that route because it is convenient. But the sound is soft for the money spent.

That kicker sub is garbage compared to what's out there. I know some people have swapped the W3 in the stealthbox for a w6 and gotten decent results.
I just ordered the JL Stealthbox myself, and, depending on performance, may replace the w3 with a w6 - all depends on how poorly it performs. Bear in mind, I'm not big into the bass-booty-thumping scene (more of an AC/DC guy).

Having said that, considering OP's originally stated budget of $1,000(ish), the Kicker is self-powered vs the JL which will require $400+ in amplification plus speaker-to-line level adapters (at a minimum), we're starting to break the bank here. Also, we haven't even started upgrading cabin speakers, which I'm sure you all agree need to go - they're just....just.....well....awful.
Old 6/25/13, 04:05 PM
V6 Member

I just ordered the JL Stealthbox myself, and, depending on performance, may replace the w3 with a w6 - all depends on how poorly it performs. Bear in mind, I'm not big into the bass-booty-thumping scene (more of an AC/DC guy).

Having said that, considering OP's originally stated budget of $1,000(ish), the Kicker is self-powered vs the JL which will require $400+ in amplification plus speaker-to-line level adapters (at a minimum), we're starting to break the bank here. Also, we haven't even started upgrading cabin speakers, which I'm sure you all agree need to go - they're just....just.....well....awful.
What would you recommend as an upgrade to the speakers. If i were to stay away from a powered sub and just replace the door and rear speakers, what would you buy?

I am a complete audio noob, but am more than capable of wiring/installing something. I just know nothing about proper audio setup as far as speaker types/brands.
Old 6/25/13, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Sieran
What would you recommend as an upgrade to the speakers. If i were to stay away from a powered sub and just replace the door and rear speakers, what would you buy?

I am a complete audio noob, but am more than capable of wiring/installing something. I just know nothing about proper audio setup as far as speaker types/brands.
Well, we need to establish a few things first:

1) Based on your signature, you have a GT Premium, which means that since you don't have the Kicker sub in the trunk already, you've got the Shaker 500 system which is the same thing I have. If that's the case and you don't want to rewire and install from scratch, your choices are going to be a bit limited based on your budget, but we can still work with it.

2) Since you want to keep the factory head unit, you're going to need something that will adapt to speaker level inputs for amplification. Recommended amp: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPINE-MRX-V70-5-Channel-Car-Audio-Amplifier-X-Power-Series-Class-D-MRXV70-/171062012948?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item27d4172c14 ($760 remaining in budget)

3) Speakers - replacing the door speakers will mean going with something in the 6x8 size range or components with some modification. There will be HUNDREDS of choices, and we also have to set some parameters. Personally, I'd skip the rear speakers altogether and just maximize the fronts. Let's invest some money here. I'm going to recommend component speakers. I bought the Alpine SPX-70PRO components. I personally like them, the incorporate well, and they're not too expensive. I bought mine cheaper about a month ago, but I found them on both http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-SPX-17PRO-spx17pro-Type-X-6-1-2-2-way-Component-Car-Speaker-System-/290927049751?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item43bc9a7c17&vxp=mtr and
Amazon Amazon
for $400 shipped. ($360 remaining in budget)

4) Subwoofer - this will DRAMATICALLY increase your performance by adding proper bass. Since the amp has a single sub channel, you need to disconnect those crappy door "subs" and go with a trunk sub option. Given our remaining budget, let's look at a JL Audio CS110RG-W3V3 with an enclosure. I have the older version of this sub, actually, and it's a great little sub with just enough thump to let you know it's there without banging the doors off. You won't win any contests, but if you want some overall bump, this is a good choice. On
Amazon for $289 all-in Amazon for $289 all-in
. If you're interested in saving $100, I'll sell you mine for $189 shipped. ($70 remaining in budget)

5) Misc. Parts - with our remaining $70, you can buy speaker wire, power wire, misc. hardware, etc. and still have a few bucks left over. You can also buy a bass management **** for the sub to adjust the level remotely if you want. I think this is a pretty good start, and something you can install yourself in a weekend. Share your thought and let me know what you think.
Old 6/26/13, 10:27 AM
V6 Member

Well, we need to establish a few things first...
I appreciate the input. I'm not the OP, but keeping it under a grand would help me convince the wife to let me do a few things. Maybe i can start piecing this together.
Old 6/26/13, 10:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ ColSaulTigh liked ur suggestions.. i have added that to my wishlist.