Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Audio options for new car?

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/12, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio options for new car?

I just bought my first Mustang. I'm part of an all-Ford, mostly Mustang family. As a college student, I couldn't afford much more than the base model 2013 V6. The audio system is the standard offering. I previously had a fully loaded Focus with Sirius and SYNC, hence the reason I feel like my Mustang's audio system is lacking.

Basically, I have two questions:
1.) Can I have the dealer install SYNC on it? My research on the 2012 model year points to 'no', but I want to confirm it is the same with the 2013.

2.) I have the button for Sirius, so what would it take to get Sirius XM working? Is the wiring already there and would I just need to run the wire to an antenna?

Many thanks for your help. I hope that at some point soon, SYNC and Sirius will be standard. I do more than an average amount of driving for work, so I liked those features. If I can't get SYNC or Sirius, I'll just use the line-in for my iPhone...(I also wish that port was outside the console...kind of inconvenient).

Last edited by DVSdan; 7/29/12 at 12:06 AM.
Old 7/30/12, 09:05 PM
GT Member

Adding the Sync is pretty much impossible aftermarket. I'm not sure about the factory Sirius. My feeling is it would be very difficult and probably not financially feasible. I'm sure somebody else has tried and will chime in on that. You could get an aftermarket Sirius unit and hook it to the aux input, but that's kinda hokey looking.

How much do you have to spend? If you can get together 900-1000 bucks or so, I would go with the dash bezel adapter from Scosche or Metra and install an aftermarket nav with Bluetooth like the Kenwood DNX-5190. You'll get all the same kind of Sync functionality plus nav and DVD playback. The Kenwood supports Pandora, too. When you got some more money together, you could even add amps and subs and shame that factory system from your Focus.
Old 8/7/12, 01:49 PM
V6 Member

I have a '12 Boss 302 (which unfortunately gets the base stereo) and I'm planning to install iSimple's Gateway for my iPod + the BT interface. You can also add the Sirius interface instead of either the iPod or BT functionality. I read that it allows full control of iPod through the stock radio controls and it connects via T-harness so presently it's probably the best solution to have iPod/BT/Sirius while retaining the stock stereo unit. I love my '12 Boss but I really wish Ford had Sync (and HIDs) available before... not just on the '13 Boss models. Oh well...
Old 8/8/12, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by 2012WhiteGT
Adding the Sync is pretty much impossible aftermarket. I'm not sure about the factory Sirius. My feeling is it would be very difficult and probably not financially feasible. I'm sure somebody else has tried and will chime in on that. You could get an aftermarket Sirius unit and hook it to the aux input, but that's kinda hokey looking.

How much do you have to spend? If you can get together 900-1000 bucks or so, I would go with the dash bezel adapter from Scosche or Metra and install an aftermarket nav with Bluetooth like the Kenwood DNX-5190. You'll get all the same kind of Sync functionality plus nav and DVD playback. The Kenwood supports Pandora, too. When you got some more money together, you could even add amps and subs and shame that factory system from your Focus.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into it. I can afford that. Although from what I've read, it doesn't support Bluetooth streaming music, just Bluetooth phone calls. I read that the DNX7190 does do streaming though. I'm not so much concerned about nav and DVD playback as I am the SYNC functionality of bluetooth and USB device streaming. Amps and subs are on the list, although a bit farther down

Originally Posted by Bossing302
I have a '12 Boss 302 (which unfortunately gets the base stereo) and I'm planning to install iSimple's Gateway for my iPod + the BT interface. You can also add the Sirius interface instead of either the iPod or BT functionality. I read that it allows full control of iPod through the stock radio controls and it connects via T-harness so presently it's probably the best solution to have iPod/BT/Sirius while retaining the stock stereo unit. I love my '12 Boss but I really wish Ford had Sync (and HIDs) available before... not just on the '13 Boss models. Oh well...
I'm looking into this as well. It's considerably cheaper than the Kenwood, but I need to get some more information first.

Thanks for all the great help!
Old 8/20/12, 12:09 PM

I'm running into this same problem myself. I use to have an '08 sable, loaded with sync. Then I traded it in for a used 2012 mustang V6 base. I didn't think I'd miss sync, but I really do. The big problem with aftermarket is that the voice recognition doesn't come close to sync. Plus, the integration is way better with sync too. So I started investigating wiring diagrams and shop manuals to see what it takes to put sync in a base model. From what I can see, the following will be needed:

ACM - Audio Control Module (head unit behind face plate. don't think the base model will interface with sync)
APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module (Sync Module)
Braket for the sync module.
GPS Module
GPS antenna
Rear view mirror with built in microphone
Steering wheel with audio controls (I think 2013 base comes standard with this?)
New or modified wiring harnesses to connect everything together.
And I believe everything will have to be programmed by a dealer to accept the changes.

Not sure what is involved with sirius, but if you're considering going through the trouble of adding sync, might as well tack on sirius also. Started to price this out with dealership purchased parts... it's around $3K. I might try looking for a totaled 'stang at a junk yard. Then again, the aftermarket might catch up soon.