Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Adding rear view camera

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/10, 08:20 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding rear view camera

Is it possible to add on an aftermarket review camera and have it tie into the the electronics package LCD screen? Would it also turn on automatically when the car is in reverse?
Old 3/4/10, 07:40 AM
V6 Member

someone on the edge/mkx forum did this to his mkx using http://www.avelectronic.com/Navigati...Interface.html, and says it works great. the mustang is on the websites list of cars this interface will work with. i may try it on my mkx

Last edited by luzstang; 3/4/10 at 12:48 PM.
Old 4/20/10, 05:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is also this:

http://www.coastaletech.com/synclockpick.htm

This enables you to do many things with your SYNC system that the factory does not allow. In addition, you can add a second camera to mount wherever you wish (I think).
Old 4/22/10, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Okay, but where will you mount the camera? Is mounting it on the license plate okay, or will it be too low?
Old 5/1/10, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ferrarimanf355
Okay, but where will you mount the camera? Is mounting it on the license plate okay, or will it be too low?
Are you referring to the rear view camera, or a second camera?

If the former, you can get a license plate bracket camera that works fine for location. The lockpick will interface with any camera; you just patch it to the camera's video out. There are billions of them out there.

If the latter, use your imagination! I plan on getting a camera and mounting it to perhaps the front license plate camera so I can park against poles without worrying about hitting them... and for a sweet view ahead while driving! Or maybe a wireless cam on the roof for 3rd person driving? Or, maybe I would mount it behind one of the wheel wells to get a shot of the front wheel moving around while driving. Or, facing the rear wheel so you can make sure you're roasting the tires, not the clutch. The possibilities are endless!

Or, you can be boring and put it facing the back seat so you can keep an eye on munchkins (should any be occupying the tiny back seat).
Old 5/1/10, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Are you referring to the rear view camera, or a second camera?

If the former, you can get a license plate bracket camera that works fine for location. The lockpick will interface with any camera; you just patch it to the camera's video out. There are billions of them out there.

If the latter, use your imagination! I plan on getting a camera and mounting it to perhaps the front license plate camera so I can park against poles without worrying about hitting them... and for a sweet view ahead while driving! Or maybe a wireless cam on the roof for 3rd person driving? Or, maybe I would mount it behind one of the wheel wells to get a shot of the front wheel moving around while driving. Or, facing the rear wheel so you can make sure you're roasting the tires, not the clutch. The possibilities are endless!

Or, you can be boring and put it facing the back seat so you can keep an eye on munchkins (should any be occupying the tiny back seat).
Yeah, I meant rear view, not second. I just want the one with the lines on it to aid in parking, like the factory option.

I just really wish someone could provide some options on rear spoilers with camera mounts, too...
Old 5/1/10, 11:41 AM
GT Member

Since I sense a bit of humor in this thread...

The rear view would be great for a couple other reasons. Say you're in a busy parking lot, and the girl behind you is gorgeous unloading groceries, and you simply put your car in reverse and enjoy the view without looking backwards- NICE!
Old 5/2/10, 02:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ipodintampa
Since I sense a bit of humor in this thread...

The rear view would be great for a couple other reasons. Say you're in a busy parking lot, and the girl behind you is gorgeous unloading groceries, and you simply put your car in reverse and enjoy the view without looking backwards- NICE!
Joystic-controlled zoom camera on the roof.