'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

added some much needed bass!

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/13, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
added some much needed bass!

so I went in looking at a cheap system.... I didnt end up leaving with one

for now I am rocking

2 ported boxes with required air space for the subs( 100 for a pair)

2 rockford 12" p3d4-12 subwoofers(on sale 250 for a pair)

1 memphis mr 1200.1 amp (400)

and amp kit and isntall + adapter (200 installed)

soon to be custom ported box to house all 4 subs( 600 installed and built)

all in all I spent some money and I am adding another 2 12's and another amp and having the box custom ported through the rear deck because its a nice massage as your driving(I run straight pipes you cant hear music anyway)

these boxes are really nice and can take up most of the slanted trunk space if you add velcro to the bottom

horrible video... the garage door is close but these cars seal really well

Last edited by jdub2k5; 6/25/13 at 03:59 PM.
Old 6/25/13, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdub2k5
so I went in looking at a cheap system.... I didnt end up leaving with one

for now I am rocking

2 ported boxes with required air space for the subs( 100 for a pair)

2 rockford 12" p3d4-12 subwoofers(on sale 250 for a pair)

1 memphis mr 1200.1 amp (400)

and amp kit and isntall + adapter (200 installed)

soon to be custom ported box to house all 4 subs( 600 installed and built)

all in all I spent some money and I am adding another 2 12's and another amp and having the box custom ported through the rear deck because its a nice massage as your driving(I run straight pipes you cant hear music anyway)

these boxes are really nice and can take up most of the slanted trunk space if you add velcro to the bottom

horrible video... the garage door is close but these cars seal really well

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUvbMiu5MdU
Dang man. What are you planning to with all that speaker?
Old 6/25/13, 04:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do you like the trunk rattling like that?
Old 6/25/13, 04:15 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mikeyt03
Dang man. What are you planning to with all that speaker?
Be the type of person i want to lay spike strips out for in front of my house at 2am...
Old 6/25/13, 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

awesome! how do you like those fosgates, do they go hard in those enclosures?
Old 6/26/13, 05:28 AM
Bullitt Member

the trunk rattle really isnt bad you don't notice it with the windows down because the base is so crazy. (this is my 2 days a month car)

I am very impressed with the new p3 design and construction. The subwoofers are built very solid and heavy duty. I am also impressed at how hard they slam. The only complaint is you need a very large amp to power them.

I am very respectful about where I turn them up at my neighbors have no idea I have them. I am just looking to do a nice custom box with possible plexi window and a mustang emblem decal in the back to spice things up at car shows. I don't need insane bass but if your going to spend 5-700 on mediocre equipment you might as well spend 1-200 more and get something decent worth showing to people.

everyone says I should have gone type r's but I just sold 4 of them in a vehicle last year and was not impressed with them. I also thought the black color of the subs would match great in a car that has black everything and is getting darker every day.

the new p3d4 is very impressive

I have had rockford throughout the years and they get better every year IMO

I have had type e's, he2(old school back in 2004 rockford...250 a sub), type r's, xplodes, power accoustik, audiopipe, legacy(caught fire on me), JL w7, w6, w0,w3

I gotta say these are very slick and affordable without breaking the bank and one of the cleanest sounding subs I have heard

heres some old setups

I have tons more pictures just cant find em and my goal is to have an impressive setup in the trunk that looks clean and professional yet not over the top

I am trying to aim for something a little nicer than the blue car as far as looks

Last edited by jdub2k5; 6/26/13 at 05:57 AM.
Old 6/26/13, 02:58 PM
Bullitt Member

just got off the phone with them, they are tired of hearing from me.

we decided to replace my 1800 watt kenwood amp with a 1000 rockford and start the sub box next weekend.

I am replacing every speaker in the car after which is about 1300 with amp. I will be replacing my 8" subwoofers with 6.5's since I have the bass in the trunk already

Last edited by jdub2k5; 6/26/13 at 03:00 PM.
Old 6/26/13, 03:02 PM
Bullitt Member

just got off the phone with them, they are tired of hearing from me.

we decided to replace my 1800 watt kenwood amp with a 1000 rockford and start the sub box next weekend.

I am replacing every speaker in the car after which is about 1300 with amp. I will be replacing my 8" subwoofers with 6.5's since I have the bass in the trunk already
If I could offer a suggestion:

Sell the door panels and get some from a base 'stang (you'll make some extra cash this way...) Then, put the 6.5" in where the 6x8's are now via an adapter plate, and mount your tweets where the triangles are covering the power mirror plugs. Move the window switch to the power window plate to get it out of the way. This will give yo better sound by moving the driver off the floor, and give you some extra leg room to boot!
Old 6/26/13, 03:42 PM
GT Member

that **** rattles like midgets wrestling in the trunk....lol

With four 12's....you will have no trunk space.
Old 6/26/13, 03:59 PM
Bullitt Member

the said it would be pointless to add anymore subs with a custom tuned and ported box because my car will just fall apart(it already feels like its gonna rattle apart)

I will take the tweeter part into consideration I would rather just have them fiberglass tweeters in.

I really just want a killer sound system so we are discussing all our options. I think I am leaning more towards 2 nice 8" subs in the doors but it really depends on money.

I cannot believe your setup, its amazing!

I went in planning to spend 500 for a small package out the door lol

now I want it to sound like im sponsored by THX

I was planning on doing my own work but since the head unit is the last thing being replaced I know nothing about working with factory equipment and adding amps to them so I am paying a shop and its not cheap on labor

Last edited by jdub2k5; 6/26/13 at 04:03 PM.
Old 6/27/13, 06:01 AM
GT Member

so what are your plans over all...are you replacing everything with aftermarket, or just going to have subs in the trunk?

I think two 12's are overkill for a Mustang. I would not do bigger than two 10's in a ported enclosure. Which is still going to be a big box.

First off, I would get some sound deading and kill the rattles you have already, otherwise when you have everything changed out it is going to get worse.
Old 6/27/13, 09:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would be super embarrassed that my trunk rattled. I always laugh at people when they pull up at a stop light and their trunk sounds like hair clippers held to a megaphone.

I understand people have different preferences though. I had a 12 inch sub and amp in my previous stang and I thought it was perfect. A little more bass and zero rattle. I thought about putting it into my 13, but I'm still undecided.
Old 6/27/13, 02:01 PM
Bullitt Member

well I set up a date to build a box, this isnt just any box though :-)

its ported into the rear deck and I also upgraded my amp to a t1500.1 which I got for 400 refurb'd!(they run 5-800 new)

the guy I am dealing with is taking my box's back and deducting it from the cost of a new box built to fit.

the point of having it ported through the rear deck is that the base is being pushed into the car and the trunk will not rattle at all. I heard this setup today and it was 2-3 times louder than my cars setup and hes got a smaller amp(same subs)

Name:  image_zpsaf5b27d7.jpeg
Views: 239
Size:  108.3 KB

Name:  image2_zps5f77078d.jpeg
Views: 213
Size:  74.3 KB

the back of the box will be a flat wall and then I plan to add an amp display rack with lighting for my 1500.1, a 4 channel, and a 10 farad cap.

its a clean setup that no one will know I have until I add the amp rack

seats will fold up like normal and hide the subs completely.

Last edited by jdub2k5; 6/27/13 at 02:02 PM.
Old 6/27/13, 02:14 PM
GT Member

Make sure the box is totally sealed from the trunk. Otherwise your pressure will leak into the trunk and wont be as loud.
Old 6/27/13, 02:30 PM
Bullitt Member

10-4 on that

my overall plans are to upgrade all speakers to something of quality

I want the rear deck fiberglassed to have 4 speakers aimed towards the front like this

then have the front speakers upgraded but not fiberglassed I just want one pair showing in the chrome rings

like this

and have my amps mounted on the back kind of like this

then just upgrade to a maestro and kenwood double din thats of high quality

it will be expensive but I will have it done little by little
Old 6/27/13, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I am terrified about this build that it won't go well because to me this is a lot of money. the thing that scares me the most is that if these subs end up sucking(so far they are banging hard) I am stuck with that sub because of the box specs
Old 6/27/13, 09:33 PM
Bullitt Member

very understandable. those fosgates are good budget subs but for the amount of money you're going to be paying for installation, you may want to return them and kick out a few hundred more for something better because it sounds like you may have this system for a while. good sound is absolutely dependent on the quality of the install but great equipment can take it to a whole different level. either way, much props on your progress so far, this is an exciting install so far!
Old 6/27/13, 09:51 PM
Bullitt Member

thanks I am really starting to lean towards two type r's because I know they will handle the power. I have had them before and they took a beating

they are both the same price I just feel much more comfortable installing those and sadly now that I think about it I blew 2 he2 rockfords back in the day and never could ruin my r's

I am gonna make a call tomorrow and have them set a thing of 12's aside (15's if they are cheap enough)

Last edited by jdub2k5; 6/27/13 at 10:36 PM.
Old 6/28/13, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

well I took your advice and the voices I kept hearing in my head and checked out a different sub.. so I got good news and bad news

I am going with a rockford t0d4-12 woofer which requires more air space and is 350 more for a pair than p3's!

this is a p3d4-12 not bad... but not crazy
Name:  20130621_151219_zps8fe42f0b.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  120.2 KB

here is a t0d4-12 huge and weighs more than both my p3s combined!

so all in all I am broke with literaly 0 dollars left to my name and buying sub woofers at age 26... but it will be a thing of glory once it is finished

The reason I am paying so much for this system compared to buying it online is I know these people and they are honestly giving me reasonable prices. I can have a subwoofer blow and just stop in and swap it out which I really like that about them.

worse news I found out the custom box is going to cost 650 because of the larger airspace and the assurance that I need to dynamat the car or it will be terrible
Old 6/28/13, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

well I took your advice and the voices I kept hearing in my head and checked out a different sub.. so I got good news and bad news

I am going with a rockford t0d4-12 woofer which requires more air space and is 350 more for a pair than p3's!

this is a p3d4-12 not bad... but not crazy

here is a t0d4-12 huge and weighs more than both my p3s combined!

so all in all I am broke with literaly 0 dollars left to my name and buying sub woofers at age 26... but it will be a thing of glory once it is finished

The reason I am paying so much for this system compared to buying it online is I know these people and they are honestly giving me reasonable prices. I can have a subwoofer blow and just stop in and swap it out which I really like that about them.

worse news I found out the custom box is going to cost 650 because of the larger airspace and the assurance that I need to dynamat the car or it will be terrible
The price you pay to bang away!

Save yourself some money by researching the Dynamat and going with one of the other brands a half the cost. Dynamatting your car is probably in the $500-$600 range easy - you should be able to find another brand at about half that number. Labor will be a wash.

Quick Reply: added some much needed bass!