The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 Exterior Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/)
-   -   These, these, or these? Wheels! (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/these-these-these-wheels-534494/)

TheTaminator 12/14/14 10:32 AM

These, these, or these? Wheels!

Here is what we have now...the 18" polished 2013 Pony Package rims on a Race Red car and my husband just LOVES them. I guess these are called a "mesh" wheel?

http://i58.tinypic.com/vwvdqd.jpg

I have determined, out of all the wheel pictures I've looked at, I am not a mesh girl AT ALL.

If we change out wheels, we'll probably stick to 18's (sorry guys). While I think 20's look ok, and 19's are just about right, 18's are passable for looks and plentiful, and cheaper for tires than 19's. We will lower the car at some point.

And so - These two sets are available locally. I much prefer the 2010 Pony Package wheels over the 2013 version (hubs not so much). Seller has them priced at $600 (with 4k mile Goodyear Eagles) They are here:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ibi3bp.jpg

And then there is a set of excellent condition Magnum 500 wheels for sale locally @ $780 with 50% tread Nittos. It seems like American Muscle and any other vendor, for that matter, has discontinued these so I can't order them new...except for Circle Racing, and theirs are $450 plus for each rim.

Question though: I understand they made these for 2004 and prior Mustangs, and also for 2005 and up - assuming that the offsets are different? I can't use a 2004 and prior wheel if that's what they turn out to be can I?

Last question - what do you all like the best?

http://i61.tinypic.com/2vc9kea.jpg

maverick1125 12/14/14 10:59 AM

Out of the three I like your "mesh" wheels the best. For $600 I don't see $600 worth more then what you have now.

If the Magnum 500 wheels are hard to find then what will you do if one wheel needs replaced because it was damaged somehow?

If your tires are still good take the $600-800 and buy some nice aftermarket wheels and have the tires and TPMS transferred over to the new wheels. It will look better and you aren't still stuck with someone else's stock wheels.

Then you can sell your old wheels and get half of what your new wheels cost.

TheTaminator 12/14/14 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by maverick1125 (Post 6878140)
Out of the three I like your "mesh" wheels the best. For $600 I don't see $600 worth more then what you have now.

If the Magnum 500 wheels are hard to find then what will you do if one wheel needs replaced because it was damaged somehow?

If your tires are still good take the $600-800 and buy some nice aftermarket wheels and have the tires and TPMS transferred over to the new wheels. It will look better and you aren't still stuck with someone else's stock wheels.

Then you can sell your old wheels and get half of what your new wheels cost.

I get the stock for stock not gaining me anything really - except for liking the 2010's better. As for the Magnums, those are an aftermarket wheel - and really, every single person that puts aftermarket wheels on their car will eventually be at risk of not being able to replace just one rim if it is damaged, since wheel manufacturers change wheel offerings like underwear.

Mr. V 12/14/14 11:13 AM

I like the last ones best. They are closest to the bullit style wheels which are my favorite. If I didn't have the brembo brakes, I'd probably rock those. I have an odd preference for stock wheels.

maverick1125 12/14/14 11:23 AM

I bought a 19" wheel and tire package from American Muscle on black Friday. They weren't on sale but I got with Alex from AM and he gave me a great deal.

Mine are chrome Bullitt wheels. This style has been around forever and I don't think they are going to be discontinued any time soon.

Here is a set of 18" Bullitt wheels. They go well with the retro style of the car.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrome...18x8-0512.html

TheTaminator 12/14/14 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 6878144)
I like the last ones best. They are closest to the bullit style wheels which are my favorite. If I didn't have the brembo brakes, I'd probably rock those. I have an odd preference for stock wheels.

I like those best too, I think. Unfortunately, I called the seller and they came off of a 2004, so I think the offset is not enough to fit properly on a 2013 :-(

laserred38 12/14/14 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheTaminator (Post 6878179)
I like those best too, I think. Unfortunately, I called the seller and they came off of a 2004, so I think the offset is not enough to fit properly on a 2013 :-(

Get the Magnums! Trust me! The offsets will work fine on an S197. They actually fill out the wheel wells much better. What are the offset? It's probably a +24. My wheels are +35 and I still wish they were more flush. I'm going to get some 1/4" spacers to bring them out just right (about 6.9mm, effectively making them +28).

Do it. Get the Magnums. They'll look perfect!

TripleBlack14 12/15/14 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 6878187)
Get the Magnums! Trust me! The offsets will work fine on an S197. They actually fill out the wheel wells much better. What are the offset? It's probably a +24. My wheels are +35 and I still wish they were more flush. I'm going to get some 1/4" spacers to bring them out just right (about 6.9mm, effectively making them +28).

I agree on the Magnums. The second set is very nice, but they look too much like the ones on your car now.

codeman94 12/15/14 06:10 AM

I vote save your money for now, and when the tires wear out and you need new tires anyways, get some 19s.

aircare84 12/15/14 09:18 AM

Prefer the Magnum 500's myself, but am biased. The 3rd pic is of my '06 GT.:nice:
Found a vendor still listing the Magnum 500's for sale new, would have to call & confirm if still in stock;
http://www.cruizinconcepts.com/magnu...ang_wheels.asp

AMAlexLazarus 12/15/14 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by TheTaminator (Post 6878128)
Here is what we have now...the 18" polished 2013 Pony Package rims on a Race Red car and my husband just LOVES them. I guess these are called a "mesh" wheel?

I have determined, out of all the wheel pictures I've looked at, I am not a mesh girl AT ALL.

If we change out wheels, we'll probably stick to 18's (sorry guys). While I think 20's look ok, and 19's are just about right, 18's are passable for looks and plentiful, and cheaper for tires than 19's. We will lower the car at some point.

And so - These two sets are available locally. I much prefer the 2010 Pony Package wheels over the 2013 version (hubs not so much). Seller has them priced at $600 (with 4k mile Goodyear Eagles) They are here:

And then there is a set of excellent condition Magnum 500 wheels for sale locally @ $780 with 50% tread Nittos. It seems like American Muscle and any other vendor, for that matter, has discontinued these so I can't order them new...except for Circle Racing, and theirs are $450 plus for each rim.

Question though: I understand they made these for 2004 and prior Mustangs, and also for 2005 and up - assuming that the offsets are different? I can't use a 2004 and prior wheel if that's what they turn out to be can I?

Last question - what do you all like the best?

Hey Tar! Looking good! I love race red! I think going with an 18" Wheel/Tire Set would not only cost less down the road when you're needing to replace tires, but they're going to ride that much easier in comparison to a 19" or a 20" wheel. (Lowering the car down the road will be easier as well as you can sometimes run into fitment issues with larger wheels and tires)

I'm somewhat indifferent on the Pony Pack wheels as well because they're pretty busy and they're really hard to clean and I would shoot for something understated like Maverick's Bullitt's that you can see on his avatar!

In regards to the Magnum 500's that's a really good question and I would honestly be more concerned about the offset on them. If they were intended for a 99-04 their offsets may push the wheels out! If anything I would definitely try to test fit one of the wheels before you have them purchased!

Let me know if you have any questions and I hope this helps and if you don't have our discount code shoot me a PM and I'll get you set up!

Originally Posted by maverick1125 (Post 6878149)
I bought a 19" wheel and tire package from American Muscle on black Friday. They weren't on sale but I got with Alex from AM and he gave me a great deal. Mine are chrome Bullitt wheels. This style has been around forever and I don't think they are going to be discontinued any time soon. Here is a set of 18" Bullitt wheels. They go well with the retro style of the car.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrome...18x8-0512.html

Hey Mav! Looking good as always and I'm happy to hear that you're still enjoying them as much as I do!!! The Bullitt wheels are definitely not going anywhere fast!

Alex

TripleBlack14 12/15/14 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by aircare84 (Post 6878427)
Prefer the Magnum 500's myself, but am biased. The 3rd pic is of my '06 GT.:nice:
Found a vendor still listing the Magnum 500's for sale new, would have to call & confirm if still in stock;

Man, if the Magnums were available in 19" I'd get them now instead of stepping up to 20" CS40's. I'd save a ton not buying tires.

TheTaminator 12/15/14 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 6878187)

Really, they will work??? The seller said they were Wheel Replicas brand - came off of a 2004 Mach 1. So, I went to the Wayback Machine to pull the wheels up on their website (circa 2011/12), and the 2004 fitment version was a +24 vs. +36 on the Magnum 2005+ fitments.

Wow.....and here I just promised my husband "no wheels".......LOL!

TheTaminator 12/15/14 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by aircare84 (Post 6878427)

Haha! Love your car - I just googled Magnum 500's, and your picture showed up, glad you aren't upset that I borrowed it unwittingly.

I know, I found them on cruizinconcepts, but I also found where they are listed as "no longer in stock" in any size :-(

Tami

laserred38 12/15/14 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheTaminator (Post 6878680)
Really, they will work??? The seller said they were Wheel Replicas brand - came off of a 2004 Mach 1. So, I went to the Wayback Machine to pull the wheels up on their website (circa 2011/12), and the 2004 fitment version was a +24 vs. +35 on the 2005+ fitments. Wow.....and here I just promised my husband "no wheels".......LOL!

Yes they will work, they'll just be very flush with the fender. And umm you're gonna want to "use up" those stock 235 tires quickly so you can get some 255/45/18s or 275/40/18s on them. The 235s will fit, but they'll be slightly stretched. It will be a much more aggressive look. Did you message the CL seller? You should ask to stop by and try them on one side of the car...if he wants to sell, I don't see an issue with it.

Be careful with Cruizin Concepts btw. Their customer service is very hit and miss...

laserred38 12/15/14 10:23 PM

Check out this thread. It will help give you some ideas...

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...ls-please.html

laserred38 12/15/14 10:35 PM

Nvm I just saw that the wheels come with tires. I'd for sure pick them up if they're in good condition! You can sell your stock wheels and tires and make back some money, then get new tires next spring :grin:

shaneyusa 12/15/14 10:52 PM

#3, I have always been partial to a 5 spoke wheel. The bullet style wheels are my fav, but #2 is a good looking wheel too.

TheTaminator 12/15/14 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 6878688)
Yes they will work, they'll just be very flush with the fender. And umm you're gonna want to "use up" those stock 235 tires quickly so you can get some 255/45/18s or 275/40/18s on them. The 235s will fit, but they'll be slightly stretched. It will be a much more aggressive look. Did you message the CL seller? You should ask to stop by and try them on one side of the car...if he wants to sell, I don't see an issue with it.

Be careful with Cruizin Concepts btw. Their customer service is very hit and miss...

No worries on the tires. These actually come with tires on them already - except, question - are Nitto nt555 tires directional? Per my mechanic, if they are non-directional tires and no one kept track of which direction they were mounted, I'd be at higher risk of separation if they are mounted opposite of the direction they were rolling previously.

TheTaminator 12/15/14 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 6878692)
Check out this thread. It will help give you some ideas...

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...ls-please.html

THANK YOU!!! That was awesome! Love, love, love the fitment - better than the +35 offsets, *especially* with an 18" wheel!

Ok.....headed back to the seller! Thanks again, let me know if you want to donate to my wheel fund, haha. If only you had kept quiet, LOL.