The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 Exterior Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/)
-   -   Shorty Antenna (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/shorty-antenna-520280/)

YouGoGlenCocoa 3/31/13 09:23 AM

Shorty Antenna

Hey everybody, i ran across these two items online and would like to get one. Does anyone know anything about the brands or quality of these shorty antennas? I will include the two links at the bottom. One is made by blow by racing and sold by Late model restoration for $27.99 i believe and the other is made by Scott Drake and is around $25 or so at cj pony parts. Does anyone have an input on who makes a better product or any feedback? Thanks in advance!

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Shorty-Antenna

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dra...-2013/p/ANT19/

Getportfolio 3/31/13 10:45 AM

Look at cravenspeed.com

Best shorty ever. I don't proceed to bash but I've tried many antennas until I finally found craven speed. You get what I'm saying.

racksteris 3/31/13 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Getportfolio (Post 6590684)
Look at cravenspeed.com

Best shorty ever. I don't proceed to bash but I've tried many antennas until I finally found craven speed. You get what I'm saying.

The first part I changed on my car soon as I came home from the dealer. (it was in the mailbox) No problems. Works great.

YouGoGlenCocoa 3/31/13 11:50 AM

Thank you sirs! Very much appreciated

11SHELBYGT500 3/31/13 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by YouGoGlenCocoa (Post 6590738)
Thank you sirs! Very much appreciated

Is it too late to talk you out of it?

OMG of War 3/31/13 12:02 PM

i have the one by BBR and it's nice. i don't normally listen to the radio, but when i do i don't notice any kind of signal performance issues or dropouts. the only thing that does bug me is the black color has faded a little and doesn't match the base of the antenna as well as it used to. that said, i've checked out the one at Craven Speed and i'm considering swapping mine out for that one. it's even stubbier than the BBR product.

YouGoGlenCocoa 3/31/13 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500 (Post 6590739)

Is it too late to talk you out of it?

Lol no i havent bought it yet.. I was reading reviews. Did you have a bad experience or something?

YouGoGlenCocoa 3/31/13 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by OMG of War (Post 6590747)
i have the one by BBR and it's nice. i don't normally listen to the radio, but when i do i don't notice any kind of signal performance issues or dropouts. the only thing that does bug me is the black color has faded a little and doesn't match the base of the antenna as well as it used to. that said, i've checked out the one at Craven Speed and i'm considering swapping mine out for that one. it's even stubbier than the BBR product.

Informative! I was highly considering BBR, it looks nice

YouGoGlenCocoa 3/31/13 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by OMG of War (Post 6590747)

Informative!! I was highly considering the one by BBR! It looks nice

11SHELBYGT500 3/31/13 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by YouGoGlenCocoa (Post 6590748)

Lol no i havent bought it yet.. I was reading reviews. Did you have a bad experience or something?

It just doesn't look right. IMO

Getportfolio 3/31/13 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by YouGoGlenCocoa (Post 6590752)

Informative!! I was highly considering the one by BBR! It looks nice

Guess I'm going to have to spill it.

The shorty antennas that are two parts (or 3 parts like the BBR) are not durable. Water was able to penetrate the tiny seams of the antenna where parts join. Even tightening the hell out of it I still noticed that there was corrosion forming around the base. The black adonized ones are great but start to spot orange or turn purple after a while.

Craven speed matches the factory base of the antenna perfectly, looks way better, is snug and has amazing reception. It's costs more but remember the ancient Chinese proverb that "those who pay peanuts, get monkeys."

YouGoGlenCocoa 3/31/13 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Getportfolio (Post 6590812)

Guess I'm going to have to spill it.

The shorty antennas that are two parts (or 3 parts like the BBR) are not durable. Water was able to penetrate the tiny seams of the antenna where parts join. Even tightening the hell out of it I still noticed that there was corrosion forming around the base. The black adonized ones are great but start to spot orange or turn purple after a while.

Craven speed matches the factory base of the antenna perfectly, looks way better, is snug and has amazing reception. It's costs more but remember the ancient Chinese proverb that "those who pay peanuts, get monkeys."

Thanks for your time and all the help! I didnt know this about BBR. I think craven wanted $25 for the mustang one if i was looking at the right product... Nice price!

lalayla 3/31/13 03:06 PM

^best member name. Carry on ;)

You go, glen cocoa!

DrDisney 3/31/13 03:53 PM

I bought one, I think the first one you have listed, and it looked great. But I have HD radio and it didn't work so well. I never used to listen to the radio until I got the HD and was so impressed with the sound quality I found myself listening more. So I switched back to the original antenna, even though I don't like the looks.

Getportfolio 3/31/13 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by YouGoGlenCocoa (Post 6590935)

Thanks for your time and all the help! I didnt know this about BBR. I think craven wanted $25 for the mustang one if i was looking at the right product... Nice price!

I would jump on it at 25. Mine was around 35-40 if I recall.

Overboost 3/31/13 06:12 PM

Cravenspeed stubby. The most factory looking of the bunch. $30 shipped.

YouGoGlenCocoa 3/31/13 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by lalayla (Post 6590937)
^best member name. Carry on ;)

You go, glen cocoa!

Thank you! That means alot to me coming from a staff member with 5k+ posts! =)

lsxjunkie 3/31/13 08:24 PM

And none for Gretchen Weiners. Bye!

YouGoGlenCocoa 3/31/13 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by lsxjunkie (Post 6591324)
And none for Gretchen Weiners. Bye!

Lmao nice!

MyStang2010GB 4/1/13 07:43 AM

I've had my BBR since 2009 and have had no issues at all with it. Still looks like new and reception is like OEM