The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 Exterior Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/)
-   -   Resonator Delete (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/resonator-delete-522125/)

Roller13 5/30/13 11:42 AM

Resonator Delete

I have Dynamax VT axleback exhaust and it sounded great but was still too quite even after six mounths. At the advice of some friends here I had the resonators removed. The difference is night and day, "it sounds the way it suppose to" to quote Gabe. I started this thread to get others comments in one place. This works great on the quiter exhaust.

jake80 5/31/13 05:49 AM

Resanator Delete

I had the Magnaflow Competition cat back exhaust on the car when I bought it and the drone for my old ears was too much.

Picked up a pair of the Ford Racing GT500's and installed the stock resonators.

Opted not to have these deleted at the time of install and still thinking about it to improve sound, however don't want to increase any drone. The Gt500's axle backs are great on highway, however at idle sound about like a stock GT.

Believe I did read from someone before that removing the resonators did not increase drone?.. Any input would be appreciated. Hate to spend $'s to remove to find out it did not work for me.

Jake80

rm2092 5/31/13 06:30 AM

I removed mine and I have the Roush axle backs and no drone.

AzPete 5/31/13 06:42 AM

GT 500's with resonator delete for many miles....no drone....great sound.... I drove with the GT 500' for several months before before I did the delete...wish I had done it sooner.

steven46746 5/31/13 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by jake80 (Post 6633056)
I had the Magnaflow Competition cat back exhaust on the car when I bought it and the drone for my old ears was too much.

Picked up a pair of the Ford Racing GT500's and installed the stock resonators.

Opted not to have these deleted at the time of install and still thinking about it to improve sound, however don't want to increase any drone. The Gt500's axle backs are great on highway, however at idle sound about like a stock GT.

Believe I did read from someone before that removing the resonators did not increase drone?.. Any input would be appreciated. Hate to spend $'s to remove to find out it did not work for me.

Jake80

Nope no drone, I have the GT 500 axle backs as well with no resonators. Overall it just increase the sound a bit at idle and wot. Zero drone.

Roller13 5/31/13 08:54 AM

No drone here either. I drove in front of the wifes T-Bird this morning and she loved my sound now.

TheDivaDanielle 5/31/13 03:36 PM

Cool. I'm contemplating change myself. Looking to switch out my GT500 ABs w/out resonators to Borla S-Types.

Roller13 6/1/13 05:57 AM

That would sound incredible Diva.

jsimmons 6/1/13 06:10 AM

You GT guys can sell your OEM resonators to V6 owners. There's always someone looking for the stock GT resonators.

joey8 6/1/13 07:06 AM

I have the quad tip borla s types and im getting my resonators deleted this week

Roller13 6/1/13 09:19 AM

Let us know how it sounds joey.

TheDivaDanielle 6/1/13 08:06 PM

Your move....... I changed out my GT500 ABs for those Borla's today. Which absolutely means you gotta make a change now.

Gabe 6/1/13 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Roller13 (Post 6632716)
I have Dynamax VT axleback exhaust and it sounded great but was still too quite even after six mounths. At the advice of some friends here I had the resonators removed. The difference is night and day, "it sounds the way it suppose to" to quote Gabe. I started this thread to get others comments in one place. This works great on the quiter exhaust.

Who's this Gabe you speak of? Lol

Yeah, the way the exhaust SHOULD sound ... I love my current set-up of no resos and GT500 AB's ...

Originally Posted by jsimmons (Post 6633545)
You GT guys can sell your OEM resonators to V6 owners. There's always someone looking for the stock GT resonators.

I have my stock GT resos ... you interested? :)

jsimmons 6/2/13 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 6633899)
Who's this Gabe you speak of? Lol

Yeah, the way the exhaust SHOULD sound ... I love my current set-up of no resos and GT500 AB's ...

I have my stock GT resos ... you interested? :)

I would have been if this thread was started in April. I couldn't even find a whole GT cat-back for sale, much less a pair of resonators, so I ordered a pair of Vibrante's from Summit. The V6 forum on AllFordMustangs is very active. I'd recommend you guys drop over there and make a post about them being for sale. I'm sure you'll sell them post haste.

fgibbs 6/2/13 09:31 AM

Does removing the resonators make the popping sound? I don't like the popping sound and perfer a more deep sound. I have the Shelby quad exhaust so I wonder what it would sound like.

TheDivaDanielle 6/2/13 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by fgibbs (Post 6634037)
Does removing the resonators make the popping sound? I don't like the popping sound and perfer a more deep sound. I have the Shelby quad exhaust so I wonder what it would sound like.

yes/no? resonators and mufflers...... their job is to absorb that stuff. taking away things that do stuff like cancel out sound... well you will have popping and stuff. You will have a deep sound. You'll also get a little popping on decel. Happens with every car.

what kind of crossover you have will also affect this. no crossover, h-pipe, x-pipe. They are also responsible for overall tone.

fgibbs 6/2/13 09:40 AM

Gotcha...my plan is to add a h-pipe since I read they do change the tone to more of a deeper one. I have been looking at the boss one of course cause of the options you get with it. I may wait to remove them when I add the h-pipe to see what that sounds like. I think I seen where Ford makes resonators for the Shelby that suppose to flow better etc...I think I saw that not sure though.

TheDivaDanielle 6/2/13 09:55 AM

you already have a factory H-pipe.

resonators cancel sound, nothing more.

Changing from the stock h-pipe to any other h-pipe isn't going to net any change. The exhaust piping diameter is already more than sufficient to handle a GT500, so a GT is no issue.

H pipe seems like a major waste of money.

X-Pipe like the others changes tone, but due to flow dynamics cancels out sound more and raises the overall pitch of the exhaust and smooths it out. I laugh when people are like "I want to put an X pipe on my car to make it louder." It will make it quieter.

Roller13 6/2/13 01:29 PM

I get some popping when decelerating which I really like. Its not overly loud.

fgibbs 6/3/13 07:57 PM

Thats why I plan on going with a Boss H-pipe which to me sounds louder than a stock h-pipe at least based on people on this forum and you tube clips. Just want the deep sound and not the pop...which is not bad just not for me.