The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 Exterior Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/)
-   -   Removing Front Bumper (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/removing-front-bumper-521303/)

mrc728 5/2/13 09:05 AM

Removing Front Bumper

Any chance of breaking clips when removing the front bumper. Want to get a new grille but worried about breaking something on my brand new car.
Thanks for any help

BaknBlk 5/2/13 07:16 PM

I removed the bumper off of my daughters 2013 V6 to install a new grill. It is a very easy and straightforward removal. I just checked you tube first and went from there.

One note however...she bought the billet grill from American Muscle for her V6. The V6 has a chrome surround around the center black portion. The black portion has tabs that push into slots in the chrome surround. There was no way for me to be gentle enough to bend these little chrome plastic tabs out of the way without breaking them. Seeing as how the new grill didn't need them I removed all of them. I know you have a GT and not sure how that grill is put together but thought I'd pass that Info along

From start to finish, remove bumper, take grill apart, install billet grill and reinstall bumper cover, just under 2 hrs. Ramps would have been nice or jacking the front up on jack stands but I didn't do either. All work was done with the car on the ground.

Studly_Studright 5/3/13 11:16 AM

I don't know for sure about the 13s but it is super easy in the 10-12s. 4 Bolts on the bottom, two on each side, and some on the grill. I didn't even see any clips that could break, should be a simple job.

Cobrakit 5/7/13 05:11 AM

It will appear that you are ripping the bumper off of the car, but its made to do that. Hardest part is to convince yourself that you will not do damage when you pull on each side of the bumper cover at the top of the wheel wells. Grab and pull straight out with conviction :nice:

Hadtohaveit'13 5/7/13 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cobrakit (Post 6619137)
It will appear that you are ripping the bumper off of the car, but its made to do that. Hardest part is to convince yourself that you will not do damage when you pull on each side of the bumper cover at the top of the wheel wells. Grab and pull straight out with conviction :nice:

Exactly. The clips are hard to break. I've taken mine off a few times with ease. Rip it off!!

DRB 5/7/13 07:43 AM

This video goes into some detail about removing the bumper:

MRGTX 5/22/15 04:59 PM

About to give this a try...
Bumper scratches are cool, right?

DarrenGT 5/22/15 06:42 PM

i recommend LOTS of blankets and cloths. wash everything thoroughly before starting to avoid sand scratches etc. A little patience and less fear. They shouldn't break.

jp1seattle 5/23/15 01:55 PM

One of my side clips broke the last time I took the bumper off.....I just ordered a new piece from White Bear Ford.

stewarts359 7/28/15 11:06 AM

taking off a Boss 302 or GT grille, you just grab with your hands and pull them out

boss man 7/28/15 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by stewarts359 (Post 6938822)
taking off a Boss 302 or GT grille, you just grab with your hands and pull them out

After you remove the push pins and 2 screws.

MADSCOTSMAN 8/5/15 04:40 AM

On the 13-14, there is nothing holding the upper grille in that requires removing the bumper. You just put your fingers through the holes and give it a good tug straight out. Did it 10 million times on mine. I had to install the AM billet grille and also had fog lights behind the grille, so I would remove the grille from time to time to clean off the fogs and also to get water and crud out from around the grille opening. I usually put a few layers of painters tape on the top of the bumper to prevent scratching it though.