Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Not your Average Glass Roof Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/18, 07:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by awoychosky123
Thanks! Next on this list is a 5.0, now I just need to figure out how to buy a donor car lol. As for the weatherstrip, I probably won’t touch it, it looks fine.
Get a F-150 motor. Way cheaper and then you can build it up on the side. Do the T-56 or TR-6060 while you're at it to get rid of the MT-82 and then a nice 1 piece driveshaft.
Old 6/9/18, 11:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
This is one fine write up. I wouldn't trade my glass roof for any other option. Glad to see with all your effort you probably feel the same.
Old 6/10/18, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Get a F-150 motor. Way cheaper and then you can build it up on the side. Do the T-56 or TR-6060 while you're at it to get rid of the MT-82 and then a nice 1 piece driveshaft.
I heard the F-150's 5.0 is a different block? The TR-6060 is nice though. Ill probably just buy a whole donor car for that project... waiting on my challenger to sell first.
Old 10/1/18, 03:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is pretty cool to see that someone did it and actually doesnt seem all that hard honestly, def makes you think about doing it.
Old 10/29/18, 12:04 AM
V6 Member

Curious to know if the roof is one square sheet metal that you removed and then removed the 2 top reenforcing brackets that are underneath, or if it is all one piece?
Old 11/2/18, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
anyone know if the glass roof from an 09 is the same or not? car-part.com thinks it is....
Old 11/26/18, 01:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I am 99% certain it is the same. I would check all the parts for the roof and see if they are the same, just to be certain, like the glass, sunshade, headliner and other bits etc...
Old 11/28/18, 05:29 PM
V6 Member

I would imagine they are since there wasnt major redisign but more of a appearance change. I think i want to do this to mine been sitting on it debating since ive seen this post.
Old 12/31/18, 04:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

The roof is 1 piece of sheet metal then the 2 headers. And the 2009 roof is identical expect for the interior trim, parts numbers changed in 2010 and 2013 MY
Old 1/4/19, 10:31 PM
V6 Member

so drill some welds out and swap a few parts essentially then install glass and interior and good to go. seems straightforward enough
Old 4/11/19, 03:18 PM
V6 Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by awoychosky123
Got the interior stripped today. Looking at the roof structure and frame nothing looks different between the glass roof and the regular roof so I think this will be a straight forward remove roof and weld in glass frame.

On a side note finally got to test the proximity sensor system I added to my car. Real simple. All cars are wired for the sensor already. All that has to be added is the overhead console with the sensor and a hood switch and run one wire back the the SJB. Then just reprogram the SJB and BCM-B with the correct programming.... 2011-14 cars do not have the security horn in the back of the car btw but 05-10 does? I dont know why....

Attachment 211637
I realize this deviates from your amazing roof swap, congratulations by the way, but what ‘proximity sensor’ are you referring to? Could you elaborate on this mod and what parts you used, etc.

Thanks
Old 12/8/19, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry its been awhile, but I was referring to the sensor in the overhead console. It is part of the security package and senses change in elevation, movement, and attempted entries when the car is lock and while set the alarm off. All I used what a 2013 overhead console with sensors, and a hood switch, everything else was wiring according to the diagrams and programming, I think haha.
The following users liked this post:
cholmes1 (12/29/19)
Old 12/29/19, 04:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just removed my old roof skin and had my glass gi take out my glass roof and panels from my doner droped down the old head liner and had the glass gi reinstall the new parts or glass roff from the donor car. also removed windshield and back glass to do the job. no welding or cutting at all on my car, period. looks great! was actually pretty easy.. no sleaving the body parts or cutting anything. send pic. soon. 2012 gt premium nav. and sub woofer stereo, now the car is loaded 100%

Last edited by Joe Schlanbusch; 12/29/19 at 04:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cholmes1 (12/29/19)
Old 12/29/19, 01:13 PM
V6 Member

Looking forward to to seeing pics? Didn't you need to install the top roof fram that the glad part sits on or is it already there and the only difference is a metal skin?
Old 12/29/19, 10:22 PM

joes 2012 gt

Originally Posted by Darb
Looking forward to to seeing pics? Didn't you need to install the top roof fram that the glad part sits on or is it already there and the only difference is a metal skin?
my body gi just cut out the 4 pin areas 2 on each side from the doner roof and welded them in place plus paint & body work in the specific areas . and the main glass piece fit rite in perfect . ha measured it 2 times to make sure it was perfick fit. bad spelling. oops. the old head liner was glued in so it was a bb*****. also took out front seats and a lot of the interior pieces he had a total of 39 hrs. in the job. plus the glass giat about 3 or 4 hrs total im guessing on that though, roughly

Last edited by Joe Schlanbusch; 12/29/19 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12/29/19, 10:29 PM

joes 2012 gt

Originally Posted by Darb
my body gi just cut out the 4 pin areas 2 on each side from the doner roof and welded them in place plus paint & body work in the specific areas . and the main glass piece fit rite in perfect . ha measured it 2 times to make sure it was perfick fit. bad spelling. oops.
Old 1/5/20, 11:50 AM
V6 Member

nice I am eagerly awaiting for some pics of what you did, are the pins on the glass itself?
Old 11/19/21, 03:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for as long as I can remember now, I’ve cleaned the wheels, body, glass, etc and I’m always happy when I stand back and look.

BUT...

drive off, catch the light at a different angle, is that a...yes, a **** smear on the glass. Oh great, it’s on the rear glass too!

forgetting the rear interior glass for a moment, because that’s a whole different ball game. I seem to get this inside and out. My “fix” has been the next day, I get a short pile microfibre cloth that I keep in the glovebox, give all the glass a wipe down with waterless wash, flip the MF to a dry side to buff, follow up with the same technique but with glass cleaner, then go around once more with a nice thick plush mf to dry and catch any small areas where I didn’t buff off the cleaner - looks perfect after this.

when I actually wash the car, the glass gets glass cleaner - after I’ve dried the paintwork, similar method - one cloth, a waffle weave drying towel, clean with one side, flip then buff. Follow up with a separate towel to dry. I can’t understand why it doesn’t work. It’s as if I just used a damp cloth and no product

I’ve used different glass cleaners and a number of different types of towels, so I’m curious to know if anyone has any bombproof techniques for getting this step right the first time and not having to follow up the next day!
Old 5/2/22, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, amazing job! It looks incredible! I have a very specific question for you that I am hoping will help me in my quest. Considering how you did this, I am left to assume that the roof frame for the glass roof is somehow different from the standard metal roof frame. Would you say that is true based on your project? In other words, you would not have been able to remove the metal roof and simply install the glass roof in the same frame? The reason I ask is because I have a 2006 with the Glassback roof that CDC manufactured that no longer exists. I hired a windshield replacement company to fix my windshield and they cracked my roof. In my mind, the Ford 2009 version of the Vista roof should be able to be installed on my frame as they are the same car. But it sounds like that might not be true at all. Thank you for any help you can give!
Old 5/2/22, 02:57 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,956 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Just a heads up! It's been nearly 3 years since there's been any activity on this thread.. Therefore, I recommend that you submit your question to awoychosky123 via private message, otherwise, it may be a very long wait before you finally get a response from him That being said, welcome aboard.

Quick Reply: Not your Average Glass Roof Thread.