Custom Vanity Personalized License Plates & Brackets /Delete Brackets Threads Over The Years With Members Custom Plates

Need Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/11, 11:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Front License Plate Bracket

I purchased my 2011 Mustang GT Premium from 05fordgt last year while still living in PA. I have since moved back to my home state of MO and need a front license plate bracket. Ford parts wants $45 for their injection-molded plastic turd (I thought it would be maybe $12, which would still be overpriced for a molded piece of plastic, but $45 is insane).

I found a forum post that marketed Craig's Front Plate Brackets. I am considering one. I like that it doesn't put holes in the front fascia, but the price is too high for me to jump in without considering other options. To that end, what other brackets are out there that I should consider?

Another thing for those in the know -- the guy behind the dealership parts counter claimed the Mustangs come from the factory with the front plate brackets already installed. I'm think he doesn't know what he is talking about. But then, I don't know. Anyone care to comment?

Last edited by Skotty; 3/8/11 at 11:06 PM.
Old 3/8/11, 11:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Front brackets are installed by the dealerships after the car arrives from the factory - in states that require a front plate. Our service department didn't install my front bracket on my '11 GT (it's in my trunk). I ordered a retractable (hidden) plate from AmericanMuscle.com for $49 and will be installing it soon. I am not about to drill holes in my front bumper, so the retractable one is a great alternative...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/flipdo...te-manual.html
Old 3/8/11, 11:51 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have craig's bracket, it's excellent
Old 3/8/11, 11:59 PM
Banned

If the $45 OEM is too expensive and Craig's is too expensive I would suggest either going to a wrecker for a used one or use 4 ten cent zip ties and done.
Old 3/9/11, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I ordered the americanmusle retractable last month when it was on sale for 39.99, I havent installed it yet (my cars in storage), but build quality looks great!
Old 3/9/11, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've decided I'm going to build my own. Will post some details when I'm done.
Old 3/9/11, 11:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Do they put them on at the factory now?
Old 3/9/11, 12:32 PM
Cobra R Member

I have Craig's Bracket and LOOVE it. It's what the factory bracket should have been.
Old 3/9/11, 01:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Another vote for Craig's bracket on my '10. I also had one from Fastrack from '07. A search on the forums will show many posts on both these providers!
Old 3/9/11, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I have Craig's bracket as well and it's awesome. Really convenient, easy to come off when going through a car wash or when you just want the look.
Old 3/9/11, 09:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Vito
Do they put them on at the factory now?
Front brackets are installed by the dealerships after the car arrives from the factory - in states that require a front plate.
Old 3/9/11, 09:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian

Front brackets are installed by the dealerships after the car arrives from the factory - in states that require a front plate.
Thank you, I think I need to stop them before that
Old 3/9/11, 09:53 PM

When I ordered my 2011 I told the dealer not to put the front plate on or the dealer logo on the back or I would opt out of the deal. But they told me once the car comes in they put the front plate bracket on. Mine is currently in my trunk. I don't ever plan on using it. I'm going to order the powered license plate bracket from American muscle.
Old 3/13/11, 05:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just finished making my own bracket this weekend. Was a pain to do. There are not any easy ways to mount the bracket to the car. I built it out of flat metal bars and stainless hardware. Primed and painted the metal bars after the pieces were cut and drilled. Ended up looking a lot like the Craig bracket, but I didn't care about easy removal, so it is bolted on.

A real pain in the butt to do, but I didn't have to drill the front of the fascia and it was cheaper than the factory piece.
Old 3/13/11, 06:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a retractable one, never installed, for sale if anyone's interest. It wouldn't work with the Shelby CS6 front bumper I have. Just PM me.

-danny
Old 5/23/11, 12:33 PM

This is a decision I have to make. I dont like the front plate, but colorado requires it. I was just wondering how difficult it is to install
Old 5/23/11, 12:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scopedope
This is a decision I have to make. I dont like the front plate, but colorado requires it. I was just wondering how difficult it is to install
Yuck. They're required in IL too. But that doesn't mean im gonna run one. Just ruins the look of the car.
Old 6/6/11, 11:32 AM

ok, wish I had read this before I had the dealer install the bracket...not only is it on but it's a wee bit crooked; enough to notice in pictures. Is there anything that can be done now or would I be stuck with two ugly holes if I went with a no drill mount now?
Old 6/6/11, 11:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GrampaSimpson
ok, wish I had read this before I had the dealer install the bracket...not only is it on but it's a wee bit crooked; enough to notice in pictures. Is there anything that can be done now or would I be stuck with two ugly holes if I went with a no drill mount now?
I could shoot the pinhead at Ford who decided that drilling holes in the front of the bumper to mount the stinking bracket was a good idea...

If the bracket is removed, the holes are least noticeable on Black, Kona or Sterling Gray cars... any lighter color will show them.

One solution would be to fill the holes with an appropriate filler (will Bondo stick to the bumper plastic?) and spot paint. Another would be to paint a couple of pan head screws body color and screw them in... sucks either way (refer to the first sentence ).

Last edited by jimmbbo; 6/6/11 at 12:00 PM.
Old 6/6/11, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by GrampaSimpson
Are you sure it's not just the bracket that is crooked? There are two "dimples" from factory for guidance before it's drilled.

Quick Reply: Need Front License Plate Bracket