The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 Exterior Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/)
-   -   MMD Hood struts (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/mmd-hood-struts-532325/)

Critical Mass 8/14/14 06:41 AM

MMD Hood struts

Has anyone installed these? How difficult is it? Lately my back has been killing me from all the extra work I've had to pick up for my wife around the house (health / heart / kidney issues).

I was able to install the Ford Racing Coil Covers last night in the dark. Fairly easy to do, though I didn't feel like the driver side coil cover seated as firmly as I would have liked, but the constant bending over was not fun.

Any recommended YouTube videos to watch for the strut install? Any advise would be much appreciated.

On the plus side I finally, by accident, found the locking mechanism for the center console while I was REMOVING the UPR 5.0 button (the chrome on it sucked and did not match, kinda po'd about it). Too bad my gun won't fit in it.

TripleBlack14 8/14/14 07:34 AM

I personally recommend Redline struts. The ones I got were about $80 and it took longer to gather my tools than it took for the installation.

DJ2014 8/14/14 07:35 AM

I have them and they were easy to install. I've had them for a little over a year now and have had no issues. It sure makes it nice not having a prop rod in your way while cleaning the engine bay. I had originally purchased them for my 2013 V6 but removed them when I traded it in for the 2014.

Jazzman442 8/14/14 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14 (Post 6840228)
I personally recommend Redline struts. The ones I got were about $80 and it took longer to gather my tools than it took for the installation.

:agree:

Critical Mass 8/14/14 08:14 AM

I saw the Redline sets but at the time I couldn't find a chromed option. These days everybody wants everything blacked out, color matching or Carbon Fiber. I'm old school. I like the chrome. lol. Harder to keep clean though.

Strictly appearance mods at this point, besides the exhaust. but I've also been working with Isaac at Do It Yourself Lettering (they also do custom graphics). No HP gains (again, lol) but two small reflective vinyl Ponies on each window quarter (small, not huge) is going to look great when they are done. Unfortunately one was damaged in shipping so I only have the driver's side done at this point (he's shipping out another one today). Pics will be forthcoming when everything is finished, and not before. :) I originally had him do the name for the car "Rose" (after my late mother who recently passed) and it came out so well I went back to him for the ponies. Now I'm just trying to decide which Ford logo I want and where I want to put it. I'm thinking the original one from 1903, but I may need do my own vector graphic of it because I can't find any decent hi-res options.

AMAlexLazarus 8/14/14 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Critical Mass (Post 6840216)
Has anyone installed these? How difficult is it? Lately my back has been killing me from all the extra work I've had to pick up for my wife around the house (health / heart / kidney issues).

I was able to install the Ford Racing Coil Covers last night in the dark. Fairly easy to do, though I didn't feel like the driver side coil cover seated as firmly as I would have liked, but the constant bending over was not fun.

Any recommended YouTube videos to watch for the strut install? Any advise would be much appreciated.

On the plus side I finally, by accident, found the locking mechanism for the center console while I was REMOVING the UPR 5.0 button (the chrome on it sucked and did not match, kinda po'd about it). Too bad my gun won't fit in it.

Hey! That's a good question. I would recommend having another set of hands there to be on the safe side The installations a piece of cake and should taken more than an hour. Check out the Install Guide if you're interested!

Originally Posted by DJ2014 (Post 6840229)
I have them and they were easy to install. I've had them for a little over a year now and have had no issues. It sure makes it nice not having a prop rod in your way while cleaning the engine bay. I had originally purchased them for my 2013 V6 but removed them when I traded it in for the 2014.

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed them on not one, but two Mustangs!

Alex

Mickstang 8/14/14 09:17 PM

I have the MMD's. Installing them is one of the simplest mods you can do, and it's so nice to get rid of the prop rod. You don't need an install video; the instruction sheet is easy to read and follow. Just do it.

VIP1 8/14/14 11:09 PM

I too recommend the Redline Tuning struts. Very easy install using factory holes in the hood and fender and no extra brackets to add.

Critical Mass 8/18/14 12:51 PM

Thanks for the assist, installed them over the weekend. :)

tony2014mustang 8/18/14 04:19 PM

I recently installed the MMD struts on my 2014 mustang and they were straight forward and easy except for the fact that one of the bolts came off of the hood stripped. You need both bolts on each side for it to be structurally sound. I called my dealership and they put one aside for me to pick up right away - piece of cake after that. Oh, and an extra set of hands really makes the job easier, especially if you have a bad back like me.

corranhorn 8/18/14 04:34 PM

Ordered this last week from American Muscle, they should be at my door tonight!

88lx50 8/18/14 08:39 PM

I have them. You will like them. The prop rod belongs in the trash. I can't understand why Ford still insists on using it.

Mickstang 8/18/14 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 88lx50 (Post 6841888)
I have them. You will like them. The prop rod belongs in the trash. I can't understand why Ford still insists on using it.

Save that prop rod-- if junior doesn't need a new kickstand for his bicycle, you can always use it to cook brats over the campfire.

88lx50 8/18/14 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mickstang (Post 6841896)
Save that prop rod-- if junior doesn't need a new kickstand for his bicycle, you can always use it to cook brats over the campfire.

LOL.
I actually saved the stuff I took off the Stang for when it comes time to sell her. The new owner can have the stupid sound tube too.

VIP1 8/20/14 12:03 AM

I didn't remove the prop rod. It is still there. I just don't use it anymore.

corranhorn 8/20/14 07:19 AM

I installed them last night, was not too bad, aside from the Texas heat! Probably took all of 30 minutes with making sure the hood lined up and everything. And I also took off the prop rod, I will keep it just in case, but I figured I would save some weight and leave it off. This install did confirm that the sound tube must go, after you relocate it, it just looks goofy with its new mounting point. I mean it works but it just looks crammed in there now, so that will be my next mod this week.

Critical Mass 8/20/14 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by 88lx50 (Post 6841899)
LOL.
I actually saved the stuff I took off the Stang for when it comes time to sell her. The new owner can have the stupid sound tube too.

I have saved everything. And will continue to do so. :p

DRB 9/5/15 02:43 PM

So, I put the MMD hood struts on this afternoon. Took about an hour, given that I have no mechanical skills and installed everything backward the first time I'd say it's an easy install. ;)

The one thing I expected to have trouble with and didn't: the tiny little retainer brackets for the ball joints. Didn't drop and lose one.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...5805fd57f3.jpg

VidPro 9/6/15 08:07 AM

Same here and I think they look better.

houtex 9/6/15 11:33 AM

The only thing I see possible as a problem with the Redline is the battery. As in taking it out/putting it back in.

Not that I wanna be swappin' that a whole bunch, but... it's happened.

The MMD, Cervini, and others of this design seem to be less prone to be in the way in this regard.

I also like the smaller packaging look myself. And they *say* that they'll support a Cervini hood, plus several customers at AM indicate the same with theirs.

Guess what I'm sayin' is that I'll be gettin' the MMDs. Heh.