'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

GT grille mod input...

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/14, 11:36 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks pretty cool!
Old 10/18/14, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks! I think its a cool concept, but I'm still set on installing the Boss grille insert when it arrives. Its definitely different though!

The vinyl (turned metal) arrived for the dash today. The stuff was complete garbage! This is definitely not up to the quality of the 3M DiNOC wrap I have used in the past. This stuff was so thin (and shiny), the subtle texture of my 401A panels showed through the vinyl!

I would definitely NOT recommend the Rvinyl link posted above in this thread!

Last edited by Varilux; 10/18/14 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10/18/14, 09:37 PM
V6 Member

So to install the boss insert you have to cut out the stock honeycomb?

Originally Posted by Varilux
Thanks! I think its a cool concept, but I'm still set on installing the Boss grille insert when it arrives. Its definitely different though!

The vinyl (turned metal) arrived for the dash today. The stuff was complete garbage! This is definitely not up to the quality of the 3M DiNOC wrap I have used in the past. This stuff was so thin (and shiny), the subtle texture of my 401A panels showed through the vinyl!

I would definitely NOT recommend the Rvinyl link posted above in this thread!
Old 10/18/14, 09:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Thanks! I think its a cool concept, but I'm still set on installing the Boss grille insert when it arrives. Its definitely different though! The vinyl (turned metal) arrived for the dash today. The stuff was complete garbage! This is definitely not up to the quality of the 3M DiNOC wrap I have used in the past. This stuff was so thin (and shiny), the subtle texture of my 401A panels showed through the vinyl! I would definitely NOT recommend the Rvinyl link posted above in this thread!
Aw man that sucks. I was waiting for your review to place my order! I guess I'll save up for OEM Boss panels
Old 10/18/14, 10:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

So to install the boss insert you have to cut out the stock honeycomb?
Nope, to convert from the GT to the Boss grille, all you have to do is remove the GT grille (as laserred noted, you just grab and yank- pops right out). Then, you remove the grille insert from the grille surround (there's about 10 clips- a pick or screwdriver makes quick work of things). Finally, you just install the Boss grille insert into the grille surround and install the whole thing back into the front bumper.

It takes all of about 30 minutes to do the whole thing.

Aw man that sucks. I was waiting for your review to place my order! I guess I'll save up for OEM Boss panels.
Yeah, the second I saw the film I knew this one would be a no-go. The aluminum mesh on my 401A interior is starting to look much nicer! Since the Boss panels are apparently available from Ford, I'm surprised someone hasn't created a place to order the set.

My dad always says "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you." Feel like the bear won today. The grille mod didn't come out exactly like I anticipated (but I'm pretty OCD, so...), and the vinyl was just gawd-awful (but I'll put that down to "If I can keep one other person from ordering that junk, it was worth the experience"). Even if the vinyl were thicker, it just doesn't look like turned metal (it looks more like the back of a CD- very shiny and bright).

Ah well, in a week or so the new grille will be here, I'll spend 30 minutes, and all will be cool. The tri-bar emblem looks MUCH better in the grille!
Old 10/18/14, 11:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well thanks for taking that $40 experiment lol. I'm not sold on any of the vinyl samples I got either. I'm trying to match the gray brushed finish of the GT500 wheel. One is close, but not perfect. I'm waiting on one more to see if it's any better. Just out of curiosity I ordered a bunch of other colors too, including brushed copper, brushed black, and brushed chrome. I got regular chrome too and it's just gross. BUT, the brushed chrome...um yeah. I might wrap my whole car in that before I do my P-51 graphics... it just looks badarse!!!
Old 10/19/14, 02:41 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Well thanks for taking that $40 experiment lol. I'm not sold on any of the vinyl samples I got either. I'm trying to match the gray brushed finish of the GT500 wheel. One is close, but not perfect. I'm waiting on one more to see if it's any better. Just out of curiosity I ordered a bunch of other colors too, including brushed copper, brushed black, and brushed chrome. I got regular chrome too and it's just gross. BUT, the brushed chrome...um yeah. I might wrap my whole car in that before I do my P-51 graphics... it just looks badarse!!!
Do you have any pictures of your samples? I'm looking for something to wrap my dash and center surround in but haven't found anything I really liked. Also, where'd you get your samples?
Old 10/19/14, 03:00 PM
V6 Member

Sorry to butt in but I ordered samples from 3m. They sent me a book with like 50 2x3 samples of there vinyl. I wrapped random stuff I have just to try it.
Old 10/19/14, 03:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 5.0jrdnsky59
Sorry to butt in but I ordered samples from 3m. They sent me a book with like 50 2x3 samples of there vinyl. I wrapped random stuff I have just to try it.
Nice how much was that?

To the post before, I got them from Amazon and PM me your email, I'll email/text you some pics.
Old 10/19/14, 03:34 PM
V6 Member

They were free I'll find the link when I get home. Or just Google 3m sample
Old 10/19/14, 04:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 5.0jrdnsky59
They were free I'll find the link when I get home. Or just Google 3m sample
Dammnit I paid $.99 each haha. Oh well, just a few bucks. Plus some were not 3M. A couple were Avery and a couple were another brand I don't remember. Have to look
Old 10/23/14, 01:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
that was brilliant idea!
Old 10/23/14, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Boss grille & emblem arrived today. This is definitely the way to go! I was a bit surprised that the grille needed some trimming. The Boss grille has a "lip" around the back of the light openings- I'm guessing that's where the block-off plates go. You have to trim the lips to get the grille to fit properly, but its pretty easy with a Dremel cutting disc.

Its not a huge difference, but it does make the lights appear to be a bit further apart, and I think it will set the car apart when it is around other GTs. Finally, its one more step towards the Boss look theme I've been working towards. Parts were only $182, and install (including trimming the light openings) is around 30 minutes. Plus, its a factory part so its an "origi-mod."

Old 10/23/14, 11:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The Boss grille & emblem arrived today. This is definitely the way to go! I was a bit surprised that the grille needed some trimming. The Boss grille has a "lip" around the back of the light openings- I'm guessing that's where the block-off plates go. You have to trim the lips to get the grille to fit properly, but its pretty easy with a Dremel cutting disc. Its not a huge difference, but it does make the lights appear to be a bit further apart, and I think it will set the car apart when it is around other GTs. Finally, its one more step towards the Boss look theme I've been working towards. Parts were only $182, and install (including trimming the light openings) is around 30 minutes. Plus, its a factory part so its an "origi-mod."
That does look good! After your failed grille delete attempt, I was sold on the Boss grille too. I'm all about OEModified stuff!

I want the Boss 302S grille though. It's more open and has mesh for the fog openings.