The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 Exterior Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/)
-   -   Forged Shelby Wheels on my '14 GT (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/forged-shelby-wheels-my-14-gt-526170/)

Five Oh Brian 11/3/13 09:37 PM

Forged Shelby Wheels on my '14 GT

Just installed a set of '10 GT500 forged 19x9.5" wheels on my '14 GT. I bought them earlier this year, but they were used with some chips in the finish (got a screamin' deal on them, though). Just had them refinished in a lighter silver and clearcoated. I found a set of pony center caps (instead of the SVT caps that came with them). Went with Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics, 255's up front and 275's out back. They definitely fill up the wheelwells much better than the factory wheels since the Shelby wheels run flush with the fender lips....

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps2363c987.jpg

2 Go Snake 11/3/13 09:40 PM

ooooh , that looks good !

Deep Blue 11/3/13 09:46 PM

I like em too. Not the same ol dark finish you usually see.

Hadtohaveit'13 11/4/13 03:07 AM

That is perfect

BlueApolloIV 11/4/13 03:12 AM

Looks great!

Krohn 11/4/13 03:37 AM

Wow! I love those! That color looks great with Ruby Red.
But seriously... 1 picture?
C'mon!

druice 11/4/13 03:42 PM

More pics Brian!

Always loved those wheels, but can't seem to find the cash to swing for it, let alone get them painted and clear coated. They look great!

How did you decide on the F1's? I just switched out my OEM Pirellis for some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's over the weekend.

Automatic 5.0 11/4/13 05:48 PM

I don't think there is a better looking wheel for the '13-'14 than those. That with the color and you're there!

Five Oh Brian 11/4/13 11:16 PM

Thanks, all. Haven't had the time or weather to clean my car since installing the GT500 wheels. Here's a quick cell phone pic of my '14 parked in my driveway. Gotta find time to detail my car and take some pics with a scenic backdrop.....

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps5436d1d5.jpg

Five Oh Brian 11/4/13 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by druice (Post 6710268)
More pics Brian!

Always loved those wheels, but can't seem to find the cash to swing for it, let alone get them painted and clear coated. They look great!

How did you decide on the F1's? I just switched out my OEM Pirellis for some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's over the weekend.

Hey, Andrew! Long time no see. You could have bought this set of wheels in our parts dept last year (Bowen Scarff in Kent). They were crazy priced new, so this used set was quite a deal at just $500 for all 4 wheels. About $200 more for TPMS sensors and center caps, plus another $200 for refinishing/clearcoating.

The F1's were the expensive part of the equation at $1300 for the set, but they're well worth it. Continental Extreme Contact DWS's were my first pick, but couldn't get the sizes I wanted. The Pilot Sports are very good, but spendy. There were only a couple affordable brands/models of high performance all season tires with some snow capability that could be had in the staggered sizes I sought. The F1's had the best reviews of those few at websites like tirerack.com and discounttire.com.

Five Oh Brian 11/4/13 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Blue (Post 6709982)
I like em too. Not the same ol dark finish you usually see.

They were originally the darker finish, so I intentionally asked for a lighter finish to be different. Lots of black & dark grey wheels out there, and my '11 GT was a Brembo car with the dark grey wheels, so I wanted something different this time around. Glad that they've been well received so far! Thank you!

Tony Alonso 11/5/13 08:09 AM

Looks good, man! How are you liking your '14 as compared to the '11?

06blackvertstang 11/5/13 10:00 AM

That silver looks so nice with the darker red. Very good look!

Five Oh Brian 11/5/13 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by 06blackvertstang (Post 6710527)
That silver looks so nice with the darker red. Very good look!

Thank you!

Scuba-Matt 11/5/13 10:17 AM

I like the look of those wheels on your car.
Ford did a great job with the design of those wheels.

Five Oh Brian 11/5/13 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso (Post 6710488)
Looks good, man! How are you liking your '14 as compared to the '11?

Thanks, Tony. I like my '14 much more than my '11. When I bought the '11, money was really tight so I bought a base 300A model (with 3.73's and the Brembo Package). When I bought the '14, I was able to buy what I wanted (glass roof, navigation, comfort package, backup camera, automatic). I knew the '14 had to be either Sterling Grey or Ruby Red, and we just happened to have a Ruby Red on our lot with all the right stuff, so I bought it.

Comparison from the '11 to '14: suspension is much more comfortable in the '14, as my '11 had the stiffer springs/struts with the Brembo Package. The '11 handled high speed corners better, but I rarely needed that. The creature comforts in the '14 are a huge step up from the basic '11 I had. Nav, Travel Link, Sirius, SYNC, ambient lighting, track apps, heated/power seats, decent stereo, etc. Now my wife is actually okay with taking my car on longer trips! The '14 is an automatic vs the MT82 in the '11. As a daily driver and weekend drag car, the automatic is the only way to go. Super consistent at the track, and my left knee has been getting sore over the past few years after owning multitudes of cars with manual transmissions. The '14 is quicker in the 1/4 mile than my '11 ever was, and the MT82 in my '11 made drag racing so inconsistent & frustrating. I enjoy drag racing again now that I have the '14.

2 Go Snake 11/5/13 10:43 AM

You brought out some good points for getting an automatic trans in a Mustang. Automatics can be fast and fun to drive. I would like to add an automatic GT to my collection some day.

druice 11/5/13 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian (Post 6710430)
Hey, Andrew! Long time no see. You could have bought this set of wheels in our parts dept last year (Bowen Scarff in Kent). They were crazy priced new, so this used set was quite a deal at just $500 for all 4 wheels. About $200 more for TPMS sensors and center caps, plus another $200 for refinishing/clearcoating.

WOW. That is a screaming deal! I was planning on picking up that set from Bowen Scarff last year but I had other demands creep up in life, and that went straight out the window. Last year was just a roller coaster; was going to add a Focus ST to the stable, and that plan bit the dust too.

Again, wheels look superb. Great color. I've always found brighter wheels to be a more timeless look, haven't been a fan of the black wheels fad as of late (with a few exceptions, black on black is a killer look). Have you heard of anyone local selling more Shelby take-offs? I just hope I can finally have the cash aside when another set comes up.

Five Oh Brian 11/6/13 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by druice (Post 6710651)
WOW. That is a screaming deal! I was planning on picking up that set from Bowen Scarff last year but I had other demands creep up in life, and that went straight out the window. Last year was just a roller coaster; was going to add a Focus ST to the stable, and that plan bit the dust too.

Again, wheels look superb. Great color. I've always found brighter wheels to be a more timeless look, haven't been a fan of the black wheels fad as of late (with a few exceptions, black on black is a killer look). Have you heard of anyone local selling more Shelby take-offs? I just hope I can finally have the cash aside when another set comes up.

Shelby take offs come and go online a lot at various Mustang websites and eBay, but they are often the 18" versions instead of the 19's.

I've sure had some ups and downs, too. If you find yourself back in the market for a Focus ST, we always have several and pricing starts around $22K.

Five Oh Brian 11/9/13 10:06 PM

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps2593e2a9.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps9b2a3e74.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps822fce14.jpg