Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Factory HID replacement bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/15, 11:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory HID replacement bulbs turning off. HELP!

Long time since I posted here, but I've done a couple of things to my car this week that I'm having problems with.

The first thing I did was purchase some new switchback LED turn signals. I like them a lot, but my problem is that the LED's don't match my HID's.

So I purchased some Matrix 6000k bulbs to match. I received them and installed the passenger side to make sure that it does indeed match my turn signals.

The light does match, but after about a minute or two the bulbs turns off.

What gives?

Thanks,
Garrett

Last edited by G Wrecks; 3/24/15 at 11:38 AM.
Old 3/24/15, 04:27 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by G Wrecks
Long time since I posted here, but I've done a couple of things to my car this week that I'm having problems with.

The first thing I did was purchase some new switchback LED turn signals. I like them a lot, but my problem is that the LED's don't match my HID's.

So I purchased some Matrix 6000k bulbs to match. I received them and installed the passenger side to make sure that it does indeed match my turn signals.

The light does match, but after about a minute or two the bulbs turns off.

What gives?

Thanks,
Garrett
Looks great G,

I love the look of the 6k HID.

When you say the light turns off, are you talking about your turn signal or the HID?

I just need a little more clarification so I can look into it for you!

-Will
Old 3/25/15, 07:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

The headlight turns off. My turn signals are working correctly.

Last night I put both of the new headlights in, and the drivers side stayed on, but the passenger side turned off after about a minute.

I put my factory bulbs back in and have no issues.

Any ideas?
Old 3/25/15, 07:46 AM
Former Vendor

The headlight turns off. My turn signals are working correctly.

Last night I put both of the new headlights in, and the drivers side stayed on, but the passenger side turned off after about a minute.

I put my factory bulbs back in and have no issues.

Any ideas?

Hey G,

that's odd! To me, that sounds like an issue with the bulb itself.

From my experience with HID's, my first thought would be an over-heating ballast, but since yours are stock, that should not be an issue.

Have you tried swapping the bulbs side to side and see if the problem follows? If it does, you know it's the bulb!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

-Will
Old 3/25/15, 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'll swap side to side tonight, but the problem has only been on my passenger side.
Old 3/26/15, 08:10 AM
Former Vendor

I'll swap side to side tonight, but the problem has only been on my passenger side.

Sounds good G,

Keep me updated! Since the problem is only on one side and your stock bulbs work no problem, I'd be willing to bet that one of your new bulbs is defective.

Let me know!

-Will
Old 4/1/15, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

I replaced my bulbs with some from iJDMtoy.com and they work great. Nice to know I don't have to mess with my ballasts.

Old 4/21/15, 07:19 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I replaced my bulbs with some from iJDMtoy.com and they work great. Nice to know I don't have to mess with my ballasts.

Hows the light output at night compared to the factory HID bulbs? Im thinking of switching to a more pure white/ bluish tint (most probably 6000K)
Old 4/21/15, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BLK STANG
Hows the light output at night compared to the factory HID bulbs? Im thinking of switching to a more pure white/ bluish tint (most probably 6000K)
In my opinion it's negligible. I think it was an illusion, but at first it seemed like everything was brighter... after having the new bulbs for a while I can say definitively that the light output is equal to or slightly less than factory output. Again, it's not enough to worry about (or really notice).
Old 4/23/15, 02:14 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Whoever said there's something wrong with your ballasts (above) doesn't understand that for D3S HID's, oem or aftermarket, the ballast comes as part of the bulb (the square piece behind the bulb).

Yours was shutting off because, well, you already figured it out I think, that the bulb you got was junk. Be careful of aftermarket HID bulbs... Osrams are expensive, but for a reason.

6000k is nice, but whiter/bluer means less visibility (usually). Osram's latest 5500k CBI's have the highest luminance for that temp a light.