'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

2013 Tail Lights In A 2012

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/13, 08:14 AM
FR500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by StangLife'12
That was one set..there have been 4 other sets I know of personally that have had no issues. Mine should be here next week (decided on taillights only, no bumper for now) with hopefully the right connectors. If not the conecctors can be ordered separately through Ford.
What are you gonna do about the reflectors? Arent they required for the rear of the vehicle?
Old 3/21/13, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2013 taillight showed up today.....
ITS A 2012 LIGHT! Im so pissed right now!

I called the place I bought it from (LKQ) and the guy said,
"Sir, the 2012 and 2013 taillights are the same light"
I say, "NO sir, you are wrong..there was a body style change in 2013"
he says, FORD states they are interchangeable....you may have a different trim package that causes it not to work. If you dont want it bring it back and we will refund your money."
I say, "Will you refund my shipping cost since I am in NC"
"No sir, thats on you" he says!

Now Im on hold waiting for a supervisor!
Old 3/21/13, 02:57 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he says, FORD states they are interchangeable....you may have a different trim package that causes it not to work. If you dont want it bring it back and we will refund your money."

Old 3/21/13, 04:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If only you could choke people through the phone. Good luck! I hope it all works out.
Old 3/21/13, 05:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I like the you might have a different trim package lol. Don't remember any car except the fox body having different tail lights with different trim
Old 3/21/13, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so one thing I did to fill the gap is take some flexible black plastic (like what plastic file folders are made of) and cut it to trim. there is a seam between the taillight lens and the housing all around the edge from where they are fused together. you stick the plastic in there and secure it with hot glue or epoxy. to make the contour, you use tracing paper to determine the shape. takes a couple of tries. as long as you get one side right, you simply reverse the template to do the other side.

not the best picture, but you get the idea:
[IMG]https://themustangsource.com/Name:  mila-rear_zpsec513090.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  170.2 KBName:  mila-rear_zpsec513090.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  170.2 KB

also used some red 3m reflective tape that I trimmed in order to take care of the reflector part.

Last edited by bones302; 3/21/13 at 07:57 PM.
Old 3/21/13, 09:18 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by bones302
so one thing I did to fill the gap is take some flexible black plastic (like what plastic file folders are made of) and cut it to trim. there is a seam between the taillight lens and the housing all around the edge from where they are fused together. you stick the plastic in there and secure it with hot glue or epoxy. to make the contour, you use tracing paper to determine the shape. takes a couple of tries. as long as you get one side right, you simply reverse the template to do the other side.

also used some red 3m reflective tape that I trimmed in order to take care of the reflector part.[/IMG]
I couldnt see the pic /:
Old 3/21/13, 09:53 PM
MOTM Committee Member

If some company would just make 10-12 style bumper w/o the tail light hitch they would make a killing *sigh*
Old 3/22/13, 05:59 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
If some company would just make 10-12 style bumper w/o the tail light hitch they would make a killing *sigh*
Don't know if they'd make a killing. They would take a while just to break even from the development costs.
Old 3/22/13, 12:58 PM
FR500 Member

Plus the lights wouldnt be interchangeable if you got that bumper for your 10-12. So youd have to get the ʻ13 lights or ʻ13 style lights if anyone ever makes em
Old 3/22/13, 07:19 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by conv_stang

Don't know if they'd make a killing. They would take a while just to break even from the development costs.
Originally Posted by CCTking

Plus the lights wouldnt be interchangeable if you got that bumper for your 10-12. So youd have to get the ʻ13 lights or ʻ13 style lights if anyone ever makes em
Cervinis, steeda, roush, Saleen all make body kits anyway. This would be a direct carbon copy of the 10-12 bumper without the hitch. Very easy to do with little dev costs.

And yeah that would be the point. Anyone buying it would be getting it so the lights would fit
Old 3/24/13, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cervinis, steeda, roush, Saleen all make body kits anyway. This would be a direct carbon copy of the 10-12 bumper without the hitch. Very easy to do with little dev costs.

And yeah that would be the point. Anyone buying it would be getting it so the lights would fit
None of those companies make a full rear bumper - only one I know of was SMS (now saleen again) but I think it only works with their spoiler. They all just make a different lower piece that fits with the stock rear fascia.
Old 3/24/13, 11:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by bones302

also used some red 3m reflective tape that I trimmed in order to take care of the reflector part.
Since your car is black, you have an easier time hiding that gap. It will still stand out in a lighter coloured car, unfortunately.

Oh well, at least this way, I wil not be spending money I can't afford to anyway.

Who am I kidding, I'll just find something else to spend it on ...
Old 3/24/13, 12:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

If it were that simple, and that easy and companies were gonna make so much money. Someone would already have it done. They aren't even trying to get a taillight assembly out that will work.
Old 3/24/13, 06:27 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 99mstng
None of those companies make a full rear bumper - only one I know of was SMS (now saleen again) but I think it only works with their spoiler. They all just make a different lower piece that fits with the stock rear fascia.
They all make front bumpers which are harder to produce.

Originally Posted by conv_stang
If it were that simple, and that easy and companies were gonna make so much money. Someone would already have it done. They aren't even trying to get a taillight assembly out that will work.
They can't go the tail light route because of the reflectors. That's a gov regulation and they ain't getting around that.

I think most companies have already spent their R&D money for S197 and will be focusing on S550 stuff soon. Maybe in a few years one of the bug companies will have a thorough solution for this
Old 3/24/13, 09:22 PM
FR500 Member

Well an aftermarket company like raxiom could manufacture a ʻ13 style light with reflectors built in. Have switchback ledʻs in place of white reverse lights and have reflector housing built into that.
Old 3/25/13, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

They all make front bumpers which are harder to produce.
What does a front bumper have to do with development costs of a new rear bumper?
Old 3/26/13, 10:56 AM
MOTM Committee Member

What does a front bumper have to do with development costs of a new rear bumper?
Nothing. Your post implied they couldn't make rear bumpers simply because most of them currently don't
Old 3/26/13, 05:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nothing. Your post implied they couldn't make rear bumpers simply because most of them currently don't
It also implied 2+2 is 483
Old 3/26/13, 05:26 PM
MOTM Committee Member

It also implied 2+2 is 483
Then it's as I feared. Your original post in response to my comment had no purpose.

Carry on...

Quick Reply: 2013 Tail Lights In A 2012