Custom Vanity Personalized License Plates & Brackets /Delete Brackets Threads Over The Years With Members Custom Plates

2013 Front Plate Options

Old 4/5/12, 12:00 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The more I think about it, I think I will just install the factory bracket....

Its way to hard to remove the craigs custom bracket for me to bother... and this is far from a show car..
Old 4/5/12, 12:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by steve03gt

Its way to hard to remove the craigs custom bracket for me to bother... and this is far from a show car..
feeling the same way lol
Old 4/5/12, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by steve03gt

Too hard? Really? The removal of a license plate holder, too hard. Mmmmm k but if my sons ever uttered those words I'd punch them in the mouth.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 4/5/12 at 12:17 PM.
Old 4/5/12, 05:56 PM
GT Member

too hard for me to bother... The plates dont look so awful, that I could see me carryiing a screwdriver and ****ing around... Again, its not a show car, and I'd likely never even take it off..
P.S. I am a tech, its not that its actually too difficult for me to do.. but its not just, swingin a wing nut off and off she comes...

Last edited by steve03gt; 4/5/12 at 05:57 PM.
Old 4/5/12, 11:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

if my sons ever uttered those words I'd punch them in the mouth.
Lmao! Dad, it's too harrrrdddd!! *KAPOW*

Awesome visual hehe. Kid passed out beside a stang with a Phillips in his hand
Old 4/6/12, 12:48 AM

No front plate in LA for almost 2 years and no cop trouble so far
Old 4/6/12, 12:50 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyM
No front plate in LA for almost 2 years and no cop trouble so far
Knock on wood. Lol
Old 4/6/12, 04:43 AM
Bullitt Member

That's BS. I'm in Ca and they listened to me. Tell them you won't take delivery if they drill.

Originally Posted by Sky Hye
What a tool. Mine said they never install. Although the cars from ford DO have 2 tiny pilot holes in the bumper.
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Total and utter BS!!! When the cars I sold to out of state clients came in, the tech who did the PDI on them before he started, asked me for any special intructions. I told him on all cars, no bracket. He checks as some are going out of state and they won't need state inspection stickers. The dealer is telling you a line and tell him you won't stand for it. Its your car, your money and unless they plan on paying for a repaint to fill the bumper, they should listen to your request. Like Shant said, they are tools!!!

from what my dealer told me (who is actually the manager of the place) is that by law they have to install the front bracket. Thats his way of covering his butt, because if i get pulled over here in CA for not having a plate on the front, i can easily say the dealer didn't install it for me so i couldn't put a plate on the front.

so i see where he's coming from, but I'm just wondering how much leverage i have here as it is a law for the front plate here in CA and in many other states. Maybe i will need to sign a waiver saying that ill take full responsibility of not having the front plate?
Old 4/6/12, 05:55 AM
Bullitt Member

PA. has some crappy laws but thank god a front plate isn't one of them.
Old 4/6/12, 06:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by BOSS302R
from what my dealer told me (who is actually the manager of the place) is that by law they have to install the front bracket. Thats his way of covering his butt, because if i get pulled over here in CA for not having a plate on the front, i can easily say the dealer didn't install it for me so i couldn't put a plate on the front.

so i see where he's coming from, but I'm just wondering how much leverage i have here as it is a law for the front plate here in CA and in many other states. Maybe i will need to sign a waiver saying that ill take full responsibility of not having the front plate?
That is absolutely absurd. It's not like a bartender telling a guy he won't serve him anymore alcohol to prevent indirect guilt if the guy goes out and kills someone while intoxicated. It's a frickin' license plate. It's your vehicle, you're responsible for it. The city isn't going to sue a dealership because they didn't make your decision for you. Absurd.
Old 4/6/12, 07:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
hmm, good to see companies already working on some brackets, and thanks riceeatin2000gt for checking that the flip up kit won't work, good that I waited till some official confirmation.
Old 4/6/12, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

In Texas we also gotta have them up front but all the Muscle cars etc just stick the plates in the window up front and the law doest mess with it
Old 4/19/12, 12:14 PM
V6 Member

Little old, but good info. Wanted to confirm that that CA dealer was lying to you. I called my delivery dealer today (and they knew nothing about me surprise surprise) but they said they NEVER drill the bumpers on Mustangs specifically unless asked to because so many people dislike it. He said it is actually a policy there lol.
Old 4/19/12, 12:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LostGeographer
Little old, but good info. Wanted to confirm that that CA dealer was lying to you. I called my delivery dealer today (and they knew nothing about me surprise surprise) but they said they NEVER drill the bumpers on Mustangs specifically unless asked to because so many people dislike it. He said it is actually a policy there lol.
Sounds exactly like what my dealer said, RSM Ford
Old 4/19/12, 01:05 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I just had to chime in to this topic. For the record, I HATE front plates.

Never!!!! Clarify: will I have a front plate
I agree. Same.

Originally Posted by Torontohemi
We are lucky we don't drive cars that the front plates completely ruin the look of....like the RX-8, Audi R8 etc. Front plates don't take anything away from the looks of our cars imo.
I beg to differ. Front plates ruin the looks of cars, regardless of make, etc. Ok, maybe you can't make the Prius any uglier.

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Front plates required in IL too.

There isn't and never will be one on the front. It's a risk I choose to take.
Amen. Same thing for me, Lewis.

Originally Posted by Tron84
They're required here in Minnesota as well. If i had it my way I'd leave it off, BUT what really ticks me off is that when I picked up my car from the dealership they had already drilled and screwed the front plate bracket directly into the bumper!! Pisses me off, if I take it off I still have 2 big holes there. I can't believe they did that
Originally Posted by BOSS302R

I told my dealer when I ordered it, ABSOLUTELY NO HOLES. I don't care if law here states it... dealers will honor. The excuse that they HAVE to drill it is B.S. Dealers that do, will lose money... because if Joe Schmo from say, Indiana, is searching for a Shelby, and they have a hole in the front bumper? Guess what, he ain't buying it. It just takes 30 seconds for them to permanently ruin a car. Retarded. Wait till the customer purchases the car, then ask him if he wants it drilled. Simple.

And my Nissan Z and 5.0 I bought in this state, where plates are required, but both dealers honored my wishes of NO HOLES when delivered to me, and out the door.

Originally Posted by Tron84
I wonder if there is any good way to fill and paint the holes
Yes there is. It's actually quite simple, with no need to repaint the ENTIRE bumper. It's the same situation I just went through with my TSX... some of you prolly saw my thread in the off-topic/vehicle section.

Car was already sitting in showroom floor with holes in it and a plate attached. Pissed me off. If I ordered new, there would be no holes. But anyways, the deal was too good, so I bought it. I was gonna do clear bra, but will wait to have that done next week. For now, I made them fill in the hole, and do a spot paint/blend/clear in that spot. My bodyshop guy also does this on our Odyssey minivan (wifey gets into a lot of parking lot snafu's... don't ask). But anyways, comes out PERFECT. If your bodyshop person is good, that is. Looks good as new.

Here's the before, with holes.

Here's after the fix. (The clips on the grille are separate from the actual holes in the bumper. The holes in the bumper were right above that).

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/19/12 at 01:08 PM.
Old 4/19/12, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I had a dealer here in Texas tell me the same thing about when we get them delivered we have to mount the bracket by law. Then I drive over to another dealership and none of the cars that were fresh on the lot didn't have any front license plate brackets...hmmm. As petty as it sounds I think I will order my Mustang from the other dealer instead cause of the whole front license plate story.
Old 4/19/12, 03:33 PM
GT Member

I asked my dealer when I ordered mine. He told me they usually don't drill into cars like Mustangs cause people complain so they have a waiver for you to sign.
Old 4/19/12, 03:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
I asked my dealer when I ordered mine. He told me they usually don't drill into cars like Mustangs cause people complain so they have a waiver for you to sign.
Smart. When I asked my rep about it he said they only do it on request. I assume he meant on just Mustangs b/c its state law here, but the sales mgr there leads a Mustang club.
Old 4/19/12, 04:40 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A front plate is required here too. When I bought my '08 I told the dealer not to drill the front bumper and they had no problem with it. I then installed the hide away holder and it worked great.

I got stopped once for no plate and told the cop I had a plate. I told him I just washed it and forgot to pull it back up.

The dealer has the same orders for me '13. I hope the plate holder will work on the GT/CS, but I have doubts.
Old 4/19/12, 07:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by denlem
A front plate is required here too. When I bought my '08 I told the dealer not to drill the front bumper and they had no problem with it. I then installed the hide away holder and it worked great.
Thats exactly what I was looking at but havent pulled the trigger yet. Let us know if it works for ya. I can get by for a little while without it.
Originally Posted by denlem
I got stopped once for no plate and told the cop I had a plate. I told him I just washed it and forgot to pull it back up.
Ha...great excuse, may have to steal that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Front Plate Options