Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

2011 HID to Halogen Swap

Old 4/19/17, 07:57 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 HID to Halogen Swap

So i have been searching around and haven't been able to get a clear answer so was hoping someone might have tried this.

I have a 2011 GT with HIDs. I have a set of the stock halogen headlights (minus the bulbs).

My questions:
(1) Is there any issue with installing the halogen headlight into a car with factory HIDs? Is a simple swap or does it require more than just the headlights?

(2) Is it possibile to use the HID bulbs in the halogen headlights?

Thank you

-Ryan
Old 4/20/17, 03:13 PM
Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Hello Ryan,

Do you have the factory-equipped HID headlights? Just curious, because switching them out to halogen would be a significant downgrade in terms of light output.

The halogen headlights use an H13 bulb size vs. the OEM HID housings which use a D-series bulb. They aren't interchangeable.

Nick C.
Old 4/20/17, 04:11 PM
V6 Member

i have the factory HIDs. not really concerned about the brightness. live in city that is well lit. I like the way the stock halogens look. I jut want to make sure i can swap them out without changing any hardware beyond the headlight units.
Old 4/20/17, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by RGNUSMC
i have the factory HIDs. not really concerned about the brightness. live in city that is well lit. I like the way the stock halogens look. I jut want to make sure i can swap them out without changing any hardware beyond the headlight units.
No You can't. The plug is different as well as the way they operate. HIDs have constant light and the high beam is activated with an actuator while Halogens switch the light source between high and low beam.

Not doable unless you know what you do....

LEXiiON
Old 4/25/17, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
^ In my experience you will need a new SJB that has programing for halogens as well as the plugs for the headlamps. if you get the new SJB that should handle the high beam function differences. Wiring should work as is.
Old 5/9/17, 08:33 PM
V6 Member

I never knew it was so complicated. I have contacted two different dealerships about doing this and neither got back to me. Either they no longer like money or they can't do it :-/
Old 5/19/17, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RGNUSMC
So i have been searching around and haven't been able to get a clear answer so was hoping someone might have tried this.

I have a 2011 GT with HIDs. I have a set of the stock halogen headlights (minus the bulbs).

My questions:
(1) Is there any issue with installing the halogen headlight into a car with factory HIDs? Is a simple swap or does it require more than just the headlights?

(2) Is it possibile to use the HID bulbs in the halogen headlights?

Thank you

-Ryan
I have the HID's on my 2013 GT Premium and they SUCK! They don't work as well as HID's on BMW's, Audi's, Etc.
Old 12/7/22, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sure the OP has solved his issue over the last 10 or so years but I have just done this conversion and it is all but plug and play. If you are starting from an HID car and want to go down to headlight assemblies with Halogen or LED bulbs for whatever reason the only issue is the wiring harness plug has the "key" slot on the opposite side as the Halogen connector. From here you can either 1) swap the plug to a Halogen plug or 2) Which is what I did is to remove the key rail from the Halogen Bulb and then it plugs right in to your factory harness connector without modification. This was important to me since mine is a GT500 and if I sell it I want to easily take it back to stock. The bulb modification took me about 2 minutes per side and was very easy using a set of small dykes and a dremel tool for smoothing it out.
The following users liked this post:
The Iron Pony (3/29/23)

Search this Thread