The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 V6 Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f801/)
-   -   V6 drive shaft - what is the deal? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f801/v6-drive-shaft-what-deal-545717/)

snarlman 6/8/18 06:07 AM

V6 drive shaft - what is the deal?

I have looked through the forum and apologies if I am beating a dead horse, no pun intended.
I am however tired of beating my head against the wall with my 2014 V6 35k mile mustang :banghead:.
When the car was new, under 10k miles, I had it back to the purchase dealer a half dozen times for the vibration I thought was coming from the rear or driveshaft. Heard every excuse from "I don't hear/feel it" and my favorite from the service manager "it sounds like you have a loose body molding". Where he got that from I have no idea.:doh:
I took to another dealer, who would not go for a test drive and the Service Manager almost threw me out until I was able to connect with an old high school buddy who worked there and was head mechanic. He took it for a quick spin and right away said the shaft was bad and they put a new one in at 25K miles or so. Problem was solved I thought.
Well in about another 5k is started again.
Ok I know I could take it back, but if they are going to jerk me around, and put the same POS design shaft back in, whats the point?
So what makes the aftermarket ones better? material? where it extends?
I see alum. and carbon fiber ones, and I also see Dorman sells a steel one, which seems to be an exact replacement.

Please your advice, thoughts, comments anything.
Should I cheap out and go Dorman steel for half the cost of alum or carbon?
Go back to the dealer and demand a replacement? :catfight:

Your replay is greatly appreciated.

Siber Express 6/9/18 05:50 PM

I have the Axle Exchange in mine, no more worries.

David Young 6/10/18 04:19 AM

I ordered my 'Axle Exchange' aluminum drive shaft from American Muscle and love it. Been several years ago with a weight loss of almost 10 pounds when compared to the factory drive shaft :). It appears American Muscle is still selling Axle Exchange drive shafts under the 'SR Performance' name.

Joeywhat 6/10/18 08:09 AM

Does the vibration primarily occur in the 2-3K range, while decelerating/engine braking?

snarlman 6/11/18 07:00 AM

Thank you Siber Express and David,
I will be sure and look into Axle exchange.
Joey, Yes I have factory 3.31 gears so the RPM range may differ from some. It happens on decel, and some times at steady speeds around 60ish.

I had three complaints with this car
Of course the drive shaft
The brakes pulsed after maybe 20k (upgraded w/ powerstop)
The P1 zeros sounded like a 4x4 going down the road (18's) added torque thrust 18x9"s with B F Goodrich, love them.

The driveshaft fix will make it finally perfect!
Thank you all

Siber Express 6/12/18 06:54 PM

Actually with the Factory Clutch if it is a Manual trans you will still have a Vibration from 3000-2500 RPM, it has a Dual mass Flywheel and that is just the nature of the beast. Some have described it as a slight handshake, I will be getting rid of the Dual Mass when I need to do the clutch but that is a livable vibration also.