The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 V6 Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f801/)
-   -   Look what showed up at AmericanMuscle's door today... thanks JLT! (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f801/look-what-showed-up-americanmuscles-door-today-thanks-jlt-490939/)

AMChrisRose 1/21/11 04:31 PM

Look what showed up at AmericanMuscle's door today... thanks JLT!

http://files.americanmuscle.com/blog2/jlt2011v6.jpg

A 2011 V6 Cold Air Intake from JLT! Carbon fiber, smooth bends, reinforced coupler, large heatshield with pinch seal for the hood. This thing is sick!

Anyone want to wager a guess what the gains are going to be?

This is going on our 2011 and on the dyno Monday or Tuesday!

a_guerrajr 1/21/11 08:09 PM

11rwhp thru the curve.

make it monday. i hope it backs up the hype. i'm saving up to get this and your BAMA tunes(tuner) as a pack.

Hawaii 5.0 1/21/11 08:54 PM

Ill guess bout 12-17 hp and 10-12 lbft? Somerwhere in those ranges sounds reasonable, lookin forward to seeing the results!

Glenn 1/22/11 06:48 AM

first one to guess correctly gets a free intake for their v6??

Hawaii 5.0 1/22/11 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
first one to guess correctly gets a free intake for their v6??

Or how bout free intake of their choice as long as its a mustang? :)

Hawaii 5.0 1/22/11 06:50 AM

Or how about a intake of their choice as long as its a mustang?

hogasswild 1/22/11 02:06 PM

Just got mine installed today and have to say I wish it came from the factory like that.

Ltngdrvr 1/22/11 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by hogasswild (Post 6001911)
Just got mine installed today and have to say I wish it came from the factory like that.

What do you mean, like what?

Carbon fiber? It's optional from JLT.

hogasswild 1/22/11 02:29 PM

No I mean the intake in general.

Ltngdrvr 1/22/11 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by hogasswild (Post 6001927)
No I mean the intake in general.

Only Mustang that comes from Ford with anything close is the GT500 and it wouldn't surprise me if they stop putting open element air intakes on them before long, EPA doesn't like them.

08SGT1977 1/24/11 06:35 PM

that is one good looking CAI - carbon fiber is a nice touch

hogasswild 1/24/11 07:02 PM

It is, definitely improves the look under the hood.

AMChrisRose 1/25/11 07:13 PM

Finishing up testing tomorrow, everyone. Should be able to post up by tomorrow night!

SoFlo Mustang 1/25/11 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by 08SGT1977
that is one good looking CAI - carbon fiber is a nice touch

Yeah it is, but isnt it more expensive....? jw. from my research, CF stuff seems expensive in comparison to say...stainless/billet/plastic conpounds?

My 0.02$ might b wrong. dunno haha

Hawaii 5.0 1/25/11 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by SoFlo Mustang

Yeah it is, but isnt it more expensive....? jw. from my research, CF stuff seems expensive in comparison to say...stainless/billet/plastic conpounds?

My 0.02$ might b wrong. dunno haha

Well carbon fiber is expensive because of how hard it is to make correctly and of course the carbon and kevlar weave, material aint exactly cheap. But its strong as hell, lasts a lifetime, and is lightweight but the material is really what your paying for with CF parts. Stainless/billet pieces might fare better when things heat up though unless the CF is woven and sealed right because it can be shaped with excessive heat. If you go for every ounce of performance then cf is the way to go. But for everyday drivin and some track use, then metal/plastic stuff will be better. Its mainly personnal preference tho

Ltngdrvr 1/25/11 10:07 PM

Is it real carbon fiber or just made to look like carbon fiber?

Tucker 1/26/11 06:07 AM

It's real Carbon Fiber and cheaper then all other CAI's on the market :)

You will find that we do not over charge for our products.

hogasswild 1/26/11 06:36 AM

I can attest that it is real carbon fiber. I could see the slight weave pattern within the intake. The outside is not just a faux CF wrapper.

BlackOut2k11 1/26/11 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr (Post 6001931)
Only Mustang that comes from Ford with anything close is the GT500 and it wouldn't surprise me if they stop putting open element air intakes on them before long, EPA doesn't like them.

The EPA doesn't like anything performance oriented. If they had their way we'd all be driving smart cars.

This is one nice looking intake though! Gonna estimate ~15rwhp gain from this.

Flagstang 1/26/11 08:34 AM

shelby gt's come with cais and so do bullitts

Ltngdrvr 1/26/11 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Flagstang (Post 6003851)
shelby gt's come with cais and so do bullitts

I was talking about what is currently available. There aren't any bullits any more and Shelby GT's didn't come from Ford.

AMChrisRose 1/26/11 07:50 PM

There was 5 inches of snow last night, and it's been snowing like crazy all day. Either way, we were able to get our testing completed today. Good thing, too.. the construction around our dyno picks back up tomorrow all the way until the end of next week, so dyno is a no-go. We would have had to use a friends.

Anyway, we are compiling all of the results. We want to make it easy to read, and there will be a video as well (it might be all in video form, because these graphs get really jarbled up, so to speak). I will say that an intake and tune combo for the 2011 is definitely worth it. Not only does the car pick up horsepower, but the powerband is so much smoother.

We also re-tested the C&L intake as well, because it was a popular request.

We're happy with the results, and we're also going to show it to you like no other vendor will. Real dyno results from a third party.

SoFlaBoss 1/26/11 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr (Post 6003866)
..Shelby GT's didn't come from Ford.

You're wrong dude. Shelby GTs are built by Ford and Shelby pre-titled. You just don't have any respect for them. :shame:

Ltngdrvr 1/26/11 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT (Post 6004225)
You're wrong dude. Shelby GTs are built by Ford and Shelby pre-titled. You just don't have any respect for them. :shame:

Whatever, still not a currently available car.

madV6 1/30/11 08:49 AM

Did I miss the results/video somewhere?

Are you doing this on top of one of your tunes?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose (Post 6004213)
There was 5 inches of snow last night, and it's been snowing like crazy all day. Either way, we were able to get our testing completed today. Good thing, too.. the construction around our dyno picks back up tomorrow all the way until the end of next week, so dyno is a no-go. We would have had to use a friends.

Anyway, we are compiling all of the results. We want to make it easy to read, and there will be a video as well (it might be all in video form, because these graphs get really jarbled up, so to speak). I will say that an intake and tune combo for the 2011 is definitely worth it. Not only does the car pick up horsepower, but the powerband is so much smoother.

We also re-tested the C&L intake as well, because it was a popular request.

We're happy with the results, and we're also going to show it to you like no other vendor will. Real dyno results from a third party.

AMChrisRose 1/31/11 02:45 PM

I did have a chance to test two of the popular intake options for the 2011 V6 again last week. The dyno results will be up later today or tomorrow at the latest. We're trying to organize them a little bit, so there's not 40 lines on a graph.

The JLT, C&L and Airaid (Bama) intakes for the 2011 V6, so far... ALL have had the same air/fuel ratio before and after the installation. This is great news, for those scared of a tune. For those scared of a tune, the bad news is that you're probably also scared of sunlight and the Easter bunny. I keed, I keed!

There are so many benefits when running a custom tune. The increased throttle response, driveability, horsepower and torque are just the beginning. Gas mileage, future mod support, ability to recalibrate the speedometer, datalog, read & clear DTCs, it's amazing.

So the testing we've done shows that these 3 intakes, when thrown on a stock 11 v6, add between 10-15 RWHP. You add a tune and you get another 8-10RWHP. The combination is worth 18-25 RWHP and the gains for both hp/tq throughout the curve are awesome as well. Now that makes the intake look like the important part of the equation. However, adding just a tune alone adds 15-20 RWHP. That makes the intake look less important. The point is:

An intake alone adds 10-15 HP/TQ

A tune alone adds 10-20 HP/TQ

Together they add 18-25 HP/TQ

I think that going with both is huge. Yes, if you start with an 87 octane pull and then run 93 with a CAI you're going to see 25+RWHP all day long. This is true. I was going off of 93 octane results both stock and modded.

Basically, if you add the CAI first, it makes the tune numbers appear to be not worth it.

If you add the tune first, it makes the CAI numbers appear to be not worth it.

If you look at the benefits, there IS reason to have both.

The tune gives you better driveability in general. You get a cleaner tune, optimized for your octane level, throttle response, automatic get increased shift pressures, faster/firmer shifts, and again, 3 different maps that alow you to pick what style of driving matches your favorite custom tune. Also datalogging, read/clear check engine lights, better MPG, etc. This also supports any future modifications that you do (especially if purchased from Bama with free tunes for life! )

The CAI gives you the added performance, added MPG, and supports future modifications. The intake is going to create more and more power as your air requirements increase. If you add long tube headers, you'll lose alot more than 3-5 horsepower by switching out the intake for the stock air box. I hope this makes sense. That and they look sweet! Also, you're going to notice a very slight decrease in your intake air temperatures. That, plus the filter is cleanable and reusable.

a_guerrajr 2/1/11 05:44 AM

sounds good.

so do you mean 18-25 at different RPMS or is that depending on the car. some cars might get 18 out of the combo and some up to 25 ?

Tucker 2/3/11 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT (Post 6004225)

No,
SGT's are built by Shelby at Shelby Automobiles in Las Vegas.
They arrive as GT's and then Shelby adds the FRPP CAI, tune, Mufflers, suspension, graphics, hood scoop and so on.

The SGT is more of a Shelby then the GT500 is (which is built 100% by Ford)

Thanks
Jay

AMChrisRose 2/14/11 11:20 AM

Sorry, everyone, for the delay. It's been a very busy last few weeks for me. I had a family emergency-type thing going on and was unable to really be on the forums as I had planned. Everything is wonderful again, and back to normal - so no complaints. Let's go ahead and get right into these results!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adSx7MGTecE

David Young 2/14/11 12:49 PM

Nice video!!! I have always said "you will gain horsepower power just by running higher octane gas in the 2011 V-6". You have proved it :)

newpony 2/14/11 03:14 PM

Excellent video!!! JLT CAI is very tempting right now.

Tucker 2/15/11 06:26 AM

Great job on the video and explaining everything. That's a ton of work to do what you did!

I don't want to take anything away from A/M as they did a great test and did everything they could to be un biased in their explanations as so not to really compare the JLT and C&L, but...
Did anyone notice how much more the JLT made? We made exactly what we advertise in 3rd party testing. This goes to show we are out to give the truth and real world repeatable gains.

Thanks
Jay
:nice::nice::nice::nice::nice::nice:

AMChrisRose 2/18/11 03:21 PM

Glad everyone enjoyed the video. We'll be doing more of these as time goes on. Nice work, JLT.