The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 V6 Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f801/)
-   -   Heavier oil in V6???? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f801/heavier-oil-v6-529715/)

numnutz 4/17/14 07:35 AM

Heavier oil in V6????

Has anyone experienced any problems in switching to heavier oil in 2012 V6? Mine has reached 55k and 5w20 seems a little thin for it now, as I'm getting noise on light acceleration that sounds reminiscent of old school main bearing knock. Very faint, but a little disturbing. Thanks in Advance for your input.

SMBJoshy 4/17/14 07:21 PM

I've read that the cam phasers are pretty sensitive to viscosity changes, not sure how true it is though. Unless you drive the hell out of your car on a daily basis, it wouldn't make any difference switching to a heaver eight.

Joeywhat 4/17/14 07:25 PM

I would just stick with the recommended 5w20...

Ltngdrvr 4/17/14 07:44 PM

I think you're hearing things, imagination can be pretty persuasive.

The motor is designed for the lighter oil.

StangDawg 4/18/14 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by numnutz (Post 6789514)
Has anyone experienced any problems in switching to heavier oil in 2012 V6? Mine has reached 55k and 5w20 seems a little thin for it now, as I'm getting noise on light acceleration that sounds reminiscent of old school main bearing knock. Very faint, but a little disturbing. Thanks in Advance for your input.

You may want to read this info on this link before you change the oil weight. The oil weight also impacts the oil pressure. I would also check with a mechanic or a dealer to find out if the noise is normal for your mileage and year. Let us know what you find out.

2011 Kona Blue 4/18/14 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by numnutz (Post 6789514)

I use 5W 30 weight oil in my 2011 3.7 from the beginning of ownership and no issues of noise or ticking from the engine.

numnutz 4/18/14 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by StangDawg (Post 6790141)
You may want to read this info on this link before you change the oil weight. The oil weight also impacts the oil pressure. I would also check with a mechanic or a dealer to find out if the noise is normal for your mileage and year. Let us know what you find out.

Thanks for all the input; soon as I get all the eggs hidden, and recoup from the festivities, I'll get my trusted? mechanic to give it a listen. My hearings bout shot, and I cannot tell if this is lower engine or something in exhaust giving the faint, low knocking sound on light acceleration. Thanks again.

SpeedyJoe 4/18/14 11:03 PM

I even changed to mobil1 0W 40 with no issues, the engine sounds much quiter from the start on and stays that way.

Ltngdrvr 4/18/14 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by numnutz (Post 6790155)
Thanks for all the input; soon as I get all the eggs hidden, and recoup from the festivities, I'll get my trusted? mechanic to give it a listen. My hearings bout shot, and I cannot tell if this is lower engine or something in exhaust giving the faint, low knocking sound on light acceleration. Thanks again.

That description of the sound sounds to me like pre-ignition ping.

They all do it to a certain extent, it's the way the pcm works to get the best power and economy out of the engine.

numnutz 4/19/14 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr (Post 6790582)
That description of the sound sounds to me like pre-ignition ping.

They all do it to a certain extent, it's the way the pcm works to get the best power and economy out of the engine.

Read everything on the links StangDawg provided; very informative. Going to start with exhaust as soon as some of the younger family gets in, with good ears. Thanks again guys.