The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 V6 Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f801/)
-   -   Cyle's Mod Thread (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f801/cyles-mod-thread-523284/)

StangDawg 7/17/13 07:07 AM

I like those front mud flaps.

Originally Posted by Cyle (Post 6654215)
Since I have no garage, any addition that helps keep her clean is a plus.

Mod 3) Front Mud Flaps (A little out of order, but I don't feel like switching the posts around.)
Level) You could do this after a half-bottle of vodka. (Assuming you're conscious.)

Just pop out the factory tabs and use them to install the flaps. They do seem to work pretty well. After driving on a dirt road there was a decent splattering on the flaps and very little on the paint. It's hard to see in the pictures, but the back of them has a texture that makes them at least a bit more stylish.

My V6 premium came with mud flaps for the rear wheels. The ones you have for the front wheels look just like them, are they the same ones? Can you tell me where you got the ones for the front wheels and how much were they?
Thanks in advance.

==============================

Update: Found them at American Muscle for $49 shipped.

Cyle 8/7/13 07:10 PM

The front flaps I got from American Muscle. They were $60. My car came with mud "flaps" for the rear as well. (They actually seem to be pieces of molded plastic.) They're not very large, but they seem to do the job.

Cyle 8/7/13 07:58 PM

Time for some color.

3 Attachment(s)
Alright, now that I've pretty much removed all color from the car, it was time to put some on. I did the following four mods together:

Mod 5) Wheel Bands
Level) A little precision in involved, but pretty easy.
Mod 6) Lug Nuts
Level) They're just lug nuts...
Mod 7) Center Caps
Level) Should have been easier then they were.
Mod 8) Painting Calipers
Level) Patience Danial-san, patience.

I picked one hell of a day to do this, too. It was 98 degrees out during the day with no cloud cover. Here's the rundown...

I woke up at 5:30 to get this started, because I knew about the weather. I jacked up the back of the car so I could do both rear wheels at the same time. I did three coats on the calipers and worked on the other stuff while they dried. I had to take a dremel to the center caps, because they didn't fit the 18" rims. The wheel bands went on pretty easily with the tire off the car. The lug nuts are a smaller size then usual, so I'll need to buy a socket wrench to keep in the car. After the back wheels I needed to get inside. I waited for the sun to pass the treeline before doing the front. That's also why there aren't any more WIP pictures. At this point I just wanted to get it done. The paint is very heavy duty. I got a small speck on one of the rims and didn't catch it before it dried. It's on for good now. I only used about %10 of what was in the can. (if that) If anyone wants it, ten bucks and it's yours.

Oh, and the car couldn't be driven for at least 24 hours. The paint dries, but is still sticky for a while. Break dust and road dirt would coat it if you drove it too soon. I gave it 48 hours just to be sure.

Cyle 8/7/13 08:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So, here are the updated shots. A little red for highlights and no more silver center caps. I also threw in a shot of the back so you can see what it looks like without the faux gas cap.

the5 8/9/13 03:18 PM

Are you going to the American Muscle show?

Cyle 8/13/13 04:51 PM

Looks like I missed it. Didn't even know it existed. Maybe next year.

Cyle 9/7/13 08:21 PM

Grill

3 Attachment(s)
The one point of view that still looked stock at this point was the front. Time to change the grill.

Mod 9) Grill
Level) More of a pain then it should have been. But, not too bad.

Instructions to remove the grill (no joke) is to grab it and pull. What they didn't tell you is that the plastic on the back of the grill has fairly sharp edges. After a few skinned fingers I got a few pieces of cloth, wrapped them through the grill, and yanked it out. There was something else I didn't expect. Unlike the V8 with the fog lights in the grill, the V6 has plastic bars where those lights would be. At first I did a little experiment (below) with some reflective strips. But, I didn't like the look.

Cyle 9/7/13 08:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I ended up getting out my dremel and slicing out the structure bars. Below is the result.

Cyle 9/7/13 08:37 PM

Lens Splitters

2 Attachment(s)
I believe this will be my last visual mod. (Although, I might black out the rear break lights.) At this point, it's recognizable from any angle.

Mod 10) Lens Splitters
Level) You only get one shot. Don't miss.

I love the bottom pic here...

Doiz 9/7/13 09:38 PM

Might I recommend the Roush lower grille delete? I think it'll look awesome and match well with the open CDC/Shelby upper grille. Go search it up if you haven't seen it yet.

Hadtohaveit'13 9/7/13 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Doiz (Post 6684979)
Might I recommend the Roush lower grille delete? I think it'll look awesome and match well with the open CDC/Shelby upper grille. Go search it up if you haven't seen it yet.

Agreed

joey8 9/8/13 09:05 AM

While I was looking at the rousch grill delete I just couldnt justify the 300 dollar price tag. I think I'll just wait until cdc hopefully comes out with a matching lower .

Cyle 9/9/13 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Doiz (Post 6684979)

Thanks. I'll have to look into this.

Cyle 7/2/14 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Summer is back! Time to start modding again. Posting a few minor ones for now. Heavier stuff will come later.

Mod 11) Hood Struts
Level) Did it alone and it was pretty easy, but would have been even easier with a friend holing the hood in place.

Mod 12) Tail Light Blackout Vinyl
Level) Kid's stuff. Like putting on stickers. Actually, it is putting on stickers.(These were nice and thick, too.)

I just put on new exhaust, but I'm going to try and make a video for that one. Headers and lower grill delete are also in the queue.

Raz2014Sleeper 7/14/14 04:21 PM

Love what you are doing to your ride! I cant wait to start working on mine.

MDkid92 7/14/14 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cyle (Post 6823254)
Summer is back! Time to start modding again. Posting a few minor ones for now. Heavier stuff will come later. Mod 11) Hood Struts Level) Did it alone and it was pretty easy, but would have been even easier with a friend holing the hood in place. Mod 12) Tail Light Blackout Vinyl Level) Kid's stuff. Like putting on stickers. Actually, it is putting on stickers.(These were nice and thick, too.) I just put on new exhaust, but I'm going to try and make a video for that one. Headers and lower grill delete are also in the queue.

looking good. What type of hood struts are those? And what type of exhaust did you go with?

Cyle 7/19/14 04:30 PM

Thanks guys. The hood struts are MMD bolt on struts. And, I went with the Borla Touring Axle-Backs. I really like them. They're quiet when you need them to be and loud when you want them to be. That being said, they're quiet when compared to just about any other after market exhaust, but they have a good sound. Looking forward to what it sounds like with the headers.

cdiaz1069 7/19/14 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cyle (Post 6829944)
Thanks guys. The hood struts are MMD bolt on struts. And, I went with the Borla Touring Axle-Backs. I really like them. They're quiet when you need them to be and loud when you want them to be. That being said, they're quiet when compared to just about any other after market exhaust, but they have a good sound. Looking forward to what it sounds like with the headers.

I have them too and I agree. I have a CAI and larger throttle body and that makes it a little more throaty. Love how it sounds when I step on it.

Cyle 8/15/14 02:38 PM

MOD FAIL - Lower Grill Delete

Since I'm recording for prosterity, I might as well record my failures, too. So, I bought the Rousch lower grill delete and set a day aside to install it. It comes with a 26 page instillation manual. I got to page 10 when I realized I had a major problem.

After spending two hours setting up, removing a few dozen bolts, and taking off the lower air deflector, the next step was to take off the fascia. Well, one of my previous mods were the lens splitters. These adhere entire fascia to the front lamps. I just sat there kind of stunned when I realized this. It took me another hour to get everything back on right and tight.

I need to research if there's a way to do this without making the car look like a mess. Those adhesive strips will not be removed without a fight. Until then, I have a $300 mod sitting in my living room.

sid719e 8/16/14 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cyle (Post 6840737)
MOD FAIL - Lower Grill Delete

Since I'm recording for prosterity, I might as well record my failures, too. So, I bought the Rousch lower grill delete and set a day aside to install it. It comes with a 26 page instillation manual. I got to page 10 when I realized I had a major problem.

After spending two hours setting up, removing a few dozen bolts, and taking off the lower air deflector, the next step was to take off the fascia. Well, one of my previous mods were the lens splitters. These adhere entire fascia to the front lamps. I just sat there kind of stunned when I realized this. It took me another hour to get everything back on right and tight.

I need to research if there's a way to do this without making the car look like a mess. Those adhesive strips will not be removed without a fight. Until then, I have a $300 mod sitting in my living room.

Any thoughts on getting rid of the headlight splitters? I think that the headlights on these cars are awesome. I hate seeing something that changes their look. Either way, you've got a great looking car.