Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Borla s-type with midpipes

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/14, 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla s-type with midpipes

I don't have this, but I'm wondering if any of you do?
I do have the Borla S-type / stingers axlebacks. Yesterday I met up with another v6 guy but he had roush axlebacks... I couldn't get over how freaking good they sound.
The stingers sound good at WOT, and a little bit at idle and start up, but on regular driving theyre so quiet. No drone problems though, and the guy did mention he has a little drone with his.

So back to my question, does anybody have borla s-type axle backs with maybe a x-pipe or h-pipe? Anybody out there with a bbk catted stock length x-pipe?
I'm wondering if I add this and shorty headers if it'll give the exhaust more life
Old 4/21/14, 04:26 PM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by roadrunner
I don't have this, but I'm wondering if any of you do? I do have the Borla S-type / stingers axlebacks. Yesterday I met up with another v6 guy but he had roush axlebacks... I couldn't get over how freaking good they sound. The stingers sound good at WOT, and a little bit at idle and start up, but on regular driving theyre so quiet. No drone problems though, and the guy did mention he has a little drone with his. So back to my question, does anybody have borla s-type axle backs with maybe a x-pipe or h-pipe? Anybody out there with a bbk catted stock length x-pipe? I'm wondering if I add this and shorty headers if it'll give the exhaust more life
If you throw a pair of high flow cats in there, it will be much louder.
Old 4/21/14, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CVH
If you throw a pair of high flow cats in there, it will be much louder.

Really? is that what you did? And do you mean get the bbk I mentioned, or buy ONLY high flow cats? I've never seen too much info on those
Old 4/21/14, 05:28 PM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Really? is that what you did? And do you mean get the bbk I mentioned, or buy ONLY high flow cats? I've never seen too much info on those
I went with the frpp xpipe and welded the 3" Pypes high flow cats last. It made it much much louder. I would imagine the bbk catted xpipe would offer close to similar results.
I am also running bbk ceramic shorty headers.
Old 4/21/14, 05:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

How do you like the tone/loudness? Good for daily city driving?
Old 4/21/14, 05:33 PM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CVH
I went with the frpp xpipe and welded the 3" Pypes high flow cats last. It made it much much louder. I would imagine the bbk catted xpipe would offer close to similar results. I am also running bbk ceramic shorty headers.
I should rephrase: I rode around with an almost complete exhaust for months. Bbk shorty headers, xpipe, gt500 mufflers. I then wanted more. I added the high flow cats and it made it much much louder. I almost did a muffler change. At first it was too loud. It has since had carbon buildup and it is just perfect.

Last edited by CVH; 4/21/14 at 05:34 PM.
Old 4/21/14, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Crap i thought you had borla s-types. So is it safe to say that of all the things you changed/added, the high-flow cats made the biggest difference in making it more loud?
Old 4/21/14, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
I will stick with my Factory Cats and resonators. I have BBK Shorties, Cut and Clamp FRPP X-Pipe and Borla Touring, Plenty Loud when you get on it and Mellow driving down the road with no drone.
That and I don't have to worry about Smog with the Factory Cats if we did have to smog here in my county.
Old 4/21/14, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I will stick with my Factory Cats and resonators. I have BBK Shorties, Cut and Clamp FRPP X-Pipe and Borla Touring, Plenty Loud when you get on it and Mellow driving down the road with no drone.
That and I don't have to worry about Smog with the Factory Cats if we did have to smog here in my county.
Did the headers make it louder?
Old 4/21/14, 06:10 PM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Did the headers make it louder?
Yes but subtle.
Old 4/21/14, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm so it does seem like the loudest change is adding high flow cats. At least short of removing them completely.
Ill probably do that. I dont care about emissions, in CA everything is illegal. Im sure eventually breathing will be illegal.
Plus the checks are only after the car is six yrs old. Ill probably switch to a GT by then.

Does anybody else actually have all the parts i specified above?
Old 4/21/14, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

I have S-types with a custom H. You just need to change up your mid -pipe to give it that extra sound. You can see mines in the link. The YouTube video doesn't work for some reason. I need to fix it. Have you considered headers? I think Hi-flow cats will make it to loud. I also sometimes think it's not loud enough but mostly at low rpm but I also think that if I change anything now it will be too loud!

https://themustangsource.com/f726/bo...h-pipe-528454/
Old 4/21/14, 08:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here is stock VS Headers, Manual Mufflers and the Xpipe on both
Stock
With Headers
With the Borla Touring
The Stingers would be louder and the ATAK's louder yet.
Old 4/21/14, 08:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
I have S-types with a custom H. You just need to change up your mid -pipe to give it that extra sound. You can see mines in the link. The YouTube video doesn't work for some reason. I need to fix it. Have you considered headers? I think Hi-flow cats will make it to loud. I also sometimes think it's not loud enough but mostly at low rpm but I also think that if I change anything now it will be too loud!

https://themustangsource.com/f726/bo...h-pipe-528454/
I love the way your car sounds. I like how my car sounds on start up, idle(sometimes), and WOT. But i think its tooo quiet when im just regularly driving. I do want an h-pipe, but theyre really expensive.. Ive only found one, the mrt, its more than $500. I remember yours is locally fabricated, but i dont trust any local shops around LA. I honestly think shops are more honest elsewhere lol. Theres probably a few honest cool shops here but i dont know any. If your guy is willing to make another and ship it, let me know, im still interested

As for headers, i will probably get that too. But right now the only exhaust mods i have is the axle back. So im wondering id simply getting high flow cats will do the job and save me on shorties and mid-pipes. But if i can get a solid h-pipe ill definitely go that route

Here is stock VS Headers, Manual Mufflers and the Xpipe on both
Stock
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqeCbGnGWTM
With Headers
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggxj4Qcrhag
With the Borla Touring
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Q8on05nB0
The Stingers would be louder and the ATAK's louder yet.
I think those vids before.. But i cant really tell too many differences. Could be because of the changes in circumstance in each video. Sounds great though. Really guys if theres a way to make it louder without changing the cats, im all for it. I just dont want to spend the money and not get desired results. Wish you guys lived closer so i could hear it in person!

Have any of you ever heard the roush axlebacks?
Old 4/21/14, 08:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You can be here in 31 hours stopping for naps, I used to run LA from here in a truck
Old 4/21/14, 08:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

You can be here in 31 hours stopping for naps, I used to run LA from here in a truck
Wtf?? Arent you on the east coast? Was it a truck with wings and a jet engine and looked like an airplane..?

Seriously id love to go tour the real america someday.
Old 4/21/14, 09:27 PM
Cobra Member

The combo of the custom H-pipe & shorty headers is what helps give mines the deep rumble and bring out the best qualities of the S-Types. It's been mistaken for a V8 several times and some ask to look under the hood (lol) but I don't think it sounds like a V8 but a really nice V6. Nothing can sound like a V8 except a V8 imho. I'm still working out the fitment issues with my S-types. I'm waiting on them to send me a new set. The last set they sent was for a GT. When I get them on I will make more videos. My exhaust guy wasn't to keen on building a a H-pipe for a car he can't install it on. He's worried about fitment issues.

Last edited by Ajcruz1; 4/21/14 at 09:32 PM.
Old 4/21/14, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
The shorty headers is what helps give mines the deep rumble. I'm still working out the fitment issues with my S-types. I'm waiting on them to send me a new set. The last set they sent was for a GT. When I get them on I will make more videos. My exhaust guy wasn't to keen on building a a H-pipe for a car he can't install it on. He's worried about fitment issues.
How could you tell it was for a gt? Sometimes i wonder if i have the right part... Not for any specific reaaon but just cause i keep hearing others mention this lol

See man, what you just said about the exhaust guy.. Ive yet to see that type of honesty around here. All they care about here is money, dont give a **** about screwing the customer over, even on purpose. They're thieves.
Old 4/21/14, 09:33 PM
Cobra Member

Edit: Double post sorry.

Last edited by Ajcruz1; 4/22/14 at 05:54 AM.
Old 4/22/14, 03:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Wtf?? Arent you on the east coast? Was it a truck with wings and a jet engine and looked like an airplane..?

Seriously id love to go tour the real america someday.
I am actually only 2200 miles away, so at an average speed of 71 MPH you can make it in 31 hours. To do it legally in the truck was actually 47 hours. The only 2 states I have not been to is North Dakota and Hawaii.
The Police must be getting easier out there, my 73 Cougar used to get me stopped all the time in Azusa and Covina for noise.

Quick Reply: Borla s-type with midpipes