5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

X-pipe setup question

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/11, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-pipe setup question

I'm planing on long tubes and a shorty x-pipe, I live in Colorado an I'm not sure on the laws of a catless setup vs catted, I want to be able to take it out of state on road trips but not very often... How illegal is catless for road use? Lol I will also be taking it to the track quite often
Old 9/12/11, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Only time having no cats could become an issue is when your trying to pass emissions... I'm unsure as to CO laws on cats to be honest
Old 9/12/11, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kona Blur
Only time having no cats could become an issue is when your trying to pass emissions... I'm unsure as to CO laws on cats to be honest
Having trouble finding exact laws, just comments of people "getting away with no cats on forums" lol. Co has a ton of emission trap trucks on onramps to highways all the time, that's the only reason I'm worried, otherwise I would just switch back for emissions
Old 9/12/11, 08:15 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by canter21
I'm planing on long tubes and a shorty x-pipe, I live in Colorado an I'm not sure on the laws of a catless setup vs catted, I want to be able to take it out of state on road trips but not very often... How illegal is catless for road use? Lol I will also be taking it to the track quite often
Here in tx I get by with no cats. But its not a big pushed subject here so they don't really check.

Last edited by texastboneking; 9/12/11 at 08:21 PM.
Old 9/12/11, 08:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what Colorado's laws are but just remember a full exhaust is going to be really loud both with or without high flow cats. If you're worried about laws then keep your cats. People forget you can still get a ticket for loud exhaust too. I think longtubes with a catted X is loud as it is. I had Pypes mid muffler and no cats and it was wake the dead loud even at 3k RPM even when accelerating normally. The high flow cat's at least let you be quiet when you're cruising or normal acceleration, but pretty **** loud when you want to be.

Last edited by Stangpilot007; 9/12/11 at 08:47 PM.
Old 9/12/11, 08:47 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangpilot007
I don't know what Colorado's laws are but just remember a full exhaust is going to be really loud both with or without high flow cats. If you're worried about laws then keep your cats. People forget you can still get a ticket for loud exhaust too. I think longtubes with a catted X is loud as it is.
Not quite true. Dual chamber magnaflows are not that loud. Even with no cats.
Old 9/12/11, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Not quite true. Dual chamber magnaflows are not that loud. Even with no cats.
True dat.
Old 9/12/11, 10:19 PM

I don't know what Colorado's laws are but just remember a full exhaust is going to be really loud both with or without high flow cats. If you're worried about laws then keep your cats. People forget you can still get a ticket for loud exhaust too. I think longtubes with a catted X is loud as it is. I had Pypes mid muffler and no cats and it was wake the dead loud even at 3k RPM even when accelerating normally. The high flow cat's at least let you be quiet when you're cruising or normal acceleration, but pretty **** loud when you want to be.
Yea it sounds like my best bet since no one seems to know exactly out here what's legal and what's not. I think I'm gunna start out with stainless works lt headers and high flow catted x-pipe, see how it sounds then add either borlas s-type or atac axle back, just don't want it to sound too tuner and more thoaty. Stainless works lt setup looks too good to pass up tho
Old 9/12/11, 10:24 PM

And btw I am setting money aside for noise ordinance tickets, I want my ***** loud and I know even if it's legal some cities/counties out here will ticket me. As long as it sounds mean I will pay the price lol
Old 9/12/11, 10:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I had Pypes mid muffler and no cats and it was wake the dead loud
Your choice of words makes me want LTs and no cats

And to canter21... Borlas w/ LTs won't sound tuner... I promise

Last edited by Kona Blur; 9/12/11 at 10:49 PM.
Old 9/12/11, 10:57 PM

Thats what I wanted to hear thank you lol I just know that stainless works systems tends to sound less muscley, hence why I want Borla axle backs instead of the full stainless works system
Old 9/13/11, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is what it sounded like and I didn't even have headers. This was on the factory manifolds too. I think you'll get the point of wake the dead loud. That's only 3k rpm shifting as well.

I agree 100% on the Borla with longtubes too, definitely maintains the throatiness and doesn't have the tuner sound compared to other setups.
Old 9/13/11, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

This is what it sounded like and I didn't even have headers. This was on the factory manifolds too. I think you'll get the point of wake the dead loud. That's only 3k rpm shifting as well.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT3ug3NHDgA">YouTube Link</a>

I agree 100% on the Borla with longtubes too, definitely maintains the throatiness and doesn't have the tuner sound compared to other setups.
That videos just cost me over $1000...
Old 9/13/11, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

That videos just cost me over $1000...
Haha uh oh.
Old 9/13/11, 02:18 PM
GT Member

I have BBK LT's and O/R X-pipe with "hushpowers" and it too is "wake the dead loud", almost made having hushpowers a joke really. My neighbors love it when I decide to go out for a midnight ride and it's super loud at startup when the temps are low. Keep in mind removing the cats will give you the awesome burnt-fuel smell, so if CO has road side emissions testing they may smell you at a stop and know your car is cat free. I would shut off the car at a check point or if you get pulled over.
Old 9/29/11, 06:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Will LT's with high flow cats/xpipe and chambered mufflers be "wake the dead loud"? I leave for work at 530 and dont want to Pi$$ off the neighbors.
Old 10/4/11, 06:43 PM
V6 Member

I just installed o/r x on my atak catback. That is wake up dead loud
Old 10/4/11, 10:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
Will LT's with high flow cats/xpipe and chambered mufflers be "wake the dead loud"? I leave for work at 530 and dont want to Pi$$ off the neighbors.
With chambered mufflers it won't be wake the dead loud. I have a buddy with headers and o/r xpipe with the magflo's and his is not loud unless he is really getting into the throttle.
Old 10/5/11, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bmeline916

With chambered mufflers it won't be wake the dead loud. I have a buddy with headers and o/r xpipe with the magflo's and his is not loud unless he is really getting into the throttle.
Awesome, just what I wanted to hear
Old 10/5/11, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80

Awesome, just what I wanted to hear
Being that ur going with the catted x pipe and chambered mufflers it will be just a lil louder than stock at lower rpm's but u should be able to make alil noise at higher rpm's. I have roush axlebacks and will be installing LT's and o/r x pipe so mine will be pretty sick! At WOT it will sound like a NASCAR passing! Go to Mylrs.com and type in the search box "stainless works header Install" scroll down and u will see a video of a red Stang with the same header set up that I have. Check it out