Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

WTF Steeda CAI !!!

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/10, 01:28 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its really will cause a code. just get to the dealer and install it or get the tuner and do it at home.
Old 7/25/10, 01:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD
OMG. Put the silly thing on, drive it like a normal person to the dealership, let them put the tune in and whatever else they are going to do, and call it a day.

There is NO WAY the CAI is going to cause any damage without a tune so long as you don't ceaselessly beat on the car. In fact, I doubt it would lean it out enough to do any damage regardless, but I digress.

Put it on tonite, go to the dealership tomorrow. Easy.
it can absolutely cause damage.
to the OP this is not a surprise, I don't see the big deal, go to the dealer and install it there, I don't even know why the dealer is involved and why they have your tuner.
Old 7/25/10, 01:35 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by Flagstang
its really will cause a code. just get to the dealer and install it or get the tuner and do it at home.

Old 7/25/10, 02:55 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah just drive it. What does Steeda know.
I mean as long as its not too far to the dealer, a lean condition would probably only burn a little bit of your new $35,000 5.0 hypereutectic pistons. Probably not all the way through though...

Old 7/25/10, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Just got up this morning and had scheduled to install my CAI from Steeda, unpacked everything and proceeded with installation instructions. WTF, here is the first note i read:

**** note****
This kit is only to used on cars that have been tuned. Using this kit without a tune can cause SERIOUS damage to your engine. Steeda will not be held liable for use without a tune.

Thing is i have the Steeda tune ready at the dealership and wanted to drive there with CAI already pre-installed so all they would have to do is just download it into the car's ECU.
So what's up with someone that just want to have a CAI alone ! Has anyone just installed the CAI alone ?
Sucks let me tell ya', i don't have much time on my hands to go to the delaership and wait all the time on things to be done.

Correct me if Im wrong, but dont most if not all CAI's require a tune? Steeda comes with the predator and JLT with the SCT. I know they sell 2 kits... the one with tune and the one without, SO looks like you'd have to go get your car tuned at a shop or return it and buy the more expensive kit.
Old 7/25/10, 03:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Yeah just drive it. What does Steeda know.
I mean as long as its not too far to the dealer, a lean condition would probably only burn a little bit of your new $35,000 5.0 hypereutectic pistons. Probably not all the way through though...

Yeah "what does Steeda know" Im sure they only put those warnings there for show anyways.... hahaha

In all do seriousness... I would return the kit and buy the kit that comes with the predator tune or take the kit you have now and have it installed by a shop that knows what they are doing and have them tune it on their CMR...

Last edited by xkornkidx01; 7/25/10 at 03:22 PM.
Old 7/25/10, 03:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by fdjizm
I don't even know why the dealer is involved and why they have your tuner.
cuz they got the CAI first and the tune was b/o, so now that the tune is in, i will go get the tuned programmer and do it myself. I'd rather keep my pistons happy !

Last edited by montreal ponies; 7/25/10 at 03:31 PM.
Old 7/25/10, 03:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
it can absolutely cause damage.
to the OP this is not a surprise, I don't see the big deal, go to the dealer and install it there, I don't even know why the dealer is involved and why they have your tuner.
Bologna. You could take the stock air induction (with MAF) completely OFF and drive it to the dealer without causing engine damage. It's not like installing a CAI is going to add 16 lbs of boost....

Sorry - I just don't buy it....but what do I know?
Old 7/25/10, 03:47 PM
Post *****

Bologna. You could take the stock air induction (with MAF) completely OFF and drive it to the dealer without causing engine damage. It's not like installing a CAI is going to add 16 lbs of boost....

Sorry - I just don't buy it....but what do I know?
Its not about airflow. Search "hypereutectic pistons lean condition"...

Think of a lean condition as a TORCH and detonation as a JACK HAMMER.

...then again Bob, you probably know that. So what's with the engine pic? Do they make you tear down after a race to prove it was stock?

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/25/10 at 05:35 PM.
Old 7/25/10, 06:35 PM
GT Member

The engine is not going to go THAT lean with just a better flowing intake tube - and certainly not from driving like a normal person....even more certainly on a one-way trip of a few miles.

Steeda likely puts that warning in there to protect themselves from lawsuits from those that do really stupid things. And I bet its happened before.

That pic was taken after the NMRA race in Kansas City back in June of 2010. I won, and had one a couple of others, and NMRA wanted to make sure I was legal. So they did. LOL. Al Papitto and I pulled the motor out, and disassembled it enough to get a piston out of the block in less than an hour and a half.

Reassembly took just every so slightly longer.

Bob

Last edited by BLKCLOUD; 7/25/10 at 06:36 PM.
Old 7/25/10, 07:10 PM
Post *****

That pic was taken after the NMRA race in Kansas City back in June of 2010. I won, and had one a couple of others, and NMRA wanted to make sure I was legal. So they did. LOL. Al Papitto and I pulled the motor out, and disassembled it enough to get a piston out of the block in less than an hour and a half.

Reassembly took just every so slightly longer.

Bob
Dang beer!

The engine is not going to go THAT lean with just a better flowing intake tube - and certainly not from driving like a normal person....even more certainly on a one-way trip of a few miles.

Steeda likely puts that warning in there to protect themselves from lawsuits from those that do really stupid things. And I bet its happened before.
So the hyp particle metal/glue pistons are not quite that fragile?
Or the A/F mixture is not that diff with a FRPP style CAI vs closed airbox?
Or the ECU has the ability to compensate enough?

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/25/10 at 07:12 PM.
Old 7/25/10, 08:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
So the hyp particle metal/glue pistons are not quite that fragile?
Or the A/F mixture is not that diff with a FRPP style CAI vs closed airbox?
Or the ECU has the ability to compensate enough?
I'll take what's behind doors number 1, 2, AND 3, Alex.

And jeezum did my grammar suck in the last post ('one' instead of 'won"....'every' instead of 'ever'). Guess that's what I get for being in a hurry....
Old 7/26/10, 10:54 AM
V6 Member

I haven't been following the exact details of the CAI's, but I assume that this CAI keeps the stock MAF correct? If so, then I can't imagine the unit causing *any* damage for normal driving. Even with a larger surface area filter, the MAF should be able to correctly meter the air. You shouldn't have to worry about anything unless you're running in open loop.
Old 7/26/10, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hypereutectic pistons are plenty strong. seen them survive 700rwhp. what they cannot stand, is too much mild detonation or a biggie. certainly a 95mm MAF steeda is going to throw a code. it will read bank 1 lean, bank 2 lean, but it wont kill the motor. it should run ok after a few minutes of STFT adjustmants.

blow up? you forget the active spark timing. these engine read right on the edge of detonation full time regardless of a/f. squirters will keep the pistons cool during lean cycles. long enough to run fine. and BTW Bob is right on when he says you can unplug it and run. the PCM defaults to speed density and has no idea what volume of airflow there is. it will also run well enough.
Old 7/26/10, 09:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just finished installing the CAI tonight. I'm dead tired. Tomorrow i'll download the tune. I have three tunes available, with 87-91-93 octane, and yes it gets rid of the skip shift and some other stuff as well. Stay tuned.
Old 7/27/10, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Bob
Depending on the size of the MAF, in this case, going from 85>95mm, the car is likely to go immediately into limp mode. In the case of MAF changes, the car becomes almost entirely undriveable, will stall constantly, and run extremely lean at anything above idle.

Bad idea.
Old 7/27/10, 08:44 PM
GT Member

Uncle.

Ok.
Old 7/27/10, 08:56 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

look at the kitty

<===========================
Old 7/27/10, 09:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uncle.

Ok.
Old 7/28/10, 10:43 AM

I can't believe how many people actually think that it would be possible to hurt a motor with an aftermarket CAI, no tune, and driving it easy.

There is no way on this Earth that it would damage the motor just so long as the driver took it very easy on the car while driving it to the dealership. If he drove ***** to the wall could the motor be hurt? Absolutely yes. But driving it like a grandma would be fine in a short spurt.

Quick Reply: WTF Steeda CAI !!!