Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Steeda is Officially Taking Orders on the Cam Idle Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/12, 02:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tj@steeda
The tune is still $90.00 because it is a new complete seperate tune.

Thanks

TJ
What is the Issue with automatics? Same "problems" automatic owners have with cammed motors, surging at low rpms?
Old 3/2/12, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling Gus on monday, ( he's out of town for the weekend) bummer. Going to meet up at steeda and get her cam tuned. Should sound nice with the borla Atak.
Old 3/2/12, 11:54 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jcint
Calling Gus on monday, ( he's out of town for the weekend) bummer. Going to meet up at steeda and get her cam tuned. Should sound nice with the borla Atak.
Keep us updated! Cant wait to hear some clips
Old 3/3/12, 01:00 AM
V6 Member

Should have mine early next week. Will def upload a video with the cam idle tune with rousch axelbacks. Should sound insane. All the clips are of stock exhaust and one of gt500 axelbacks.
Old 3/3/12, 01:03 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jcint
Can't wait to hear ur car with the borla exhaust. Had borla s types on my 08. Loud. But my 5.0 with rousch axelbacks is def louder
Old 3/3/12, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there any way to tie the BOO (brake on/off) switch into the tune, so that if you're in D and have the brake on, it will lope, but as soon as you take your foot off the brake (say, to accelerate), it will switch back to the regular idle?

I know logic changes are a lot harder to put into a tune than simple table changes, but that'd be the most effective way to do it IMHO.
Old 3/3/12, 07:35 PM

I ordered mine yesterday.
Old 3/3/12, 09:25 PM
GT Member

I tried to do another vid with my iphone.

http://youtu.be/AizD_HFV6V4
Old 3/5/12, 12:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Curious, how long have you guys had the tune? Looking for long term testing. Issues? Concerns?
Old 3/5/12, 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

was hoping TJ would respond to my question.. but.. guess not..
Old 3/5/12, 06:21 PM
V6 Member

No parts today. Waiting on shipment of tuners that should have been in late last week. Hopefully they come in soon..and they can overnite the package but we'll see. Thanks tj for all ur help today. Waiting on mods def sucks. Lol
Old 3/5/12, 09:56 PM
Bullitt Member

dwtc if your wondering what the egg smell or burning smell is at idle it's your cats life being burnt out of them! If I were you I would get rid of the cats or limit running the tune before you ruin them. I don't care what TJ says there is so much overlap at idle it is letting tons of unburnt fuel when it lopes and all that extra fuel is being burnt up by the cats!
Old 3/6/12, 09:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stang8psi
Question so what exactly is different than Lunds,AED? And I would think that the Extreme overlap and the extra fuel being let go through that it will kill the cats in a short period of time. At least thats what the others will do, And I can't see this one being that far off either of those!
I don't know anything about Steeda's tune. However, I know that Lund's suffers from excessively rich conditions at idle and a V-Tech type powerband because he has not been able to work around certain issues and parameters. I know about this because AED has worked around those parameters and has a completely problem free lope idle tune.

However, as someone who has this tune I will say that I am not a huge fan. Maybe I am getting old. It sounds amazing, but the trade offs are just not worth it to me. Having a new car sitting there and idling worse than my wagon with its 302 and B-Cam does not compute. I often find myself raising the rpm enough to kick it out of lope. Shaun's lope is a nasty mother, it is serious. For me it is a tune to load up every now and then for a car show, etc. It is just not a happy experience for daily driving. It also does create a larger amount of exhaust stench. There really is no way to work around that, although Shaun has assured me that his tune is not detrimental to cats. Mine are gone, so this is not an issue.

Mike
Old 3/6/12, 11:19 AM
Cobra Member

reguardless of whos tune, I still havent heard what "issues" they have with the automatics..
Old 3/6/12, 12:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stang8psi
dwtc if your wondering what the egg smell or burning smell is at idle it's your cats life being burnt out of them! If I were you I would get rid of the cats or limit running the tune before you ruin them. I don't care what TJ says there is so much overlap at idle it is letting tons of unburnt fuel when it lopes and all that extra fuel is being burnt up by the cats!
Maybe I'm missing something, but I saw no comments by DWTC regarding anything about the cats, only you jumping in here with nothing more than an opinion and no facts.

Yes there is more overlap, compared to other cam idles out there though ours is definitely less aggressive. I've said it before and I'll say it again, our setup is not a serious threat to the cats, especially on cold start.

On cold start there is no idle lope. So cold start and cat light off is completely normal. Until the cold start high idle kickdown timer completes and you get some temperature in the engine the cam positions are stock and the car is running smooth. During this phase where cat light off is supposed to occur everything happens as normal.

On warm start it also starts with a smooth idle and will only kick down to cam idle a few seconds after starting the engine if you blip the throttle once.

Once you come off idle all cam timing functions return to normal as well. As far as catalytic converters go there is no cause to be concerned. Converters don't last forever, but they are not going to start failing left and right just cause of our idle tune.
Old 3/6/12, 12:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mbreinin
I don't know anything about Steeda's tune. However, I know that Lund's suffers from excessively rich conditions at idle and a V-Tech type powerband because he has not been able to work around certain issues and parameters. I know about this because AED has worked around those parameters and has a completely problem free lope idle tune.

However, as someone who has this tune I will say that I am not a huge fan. Maybe I am getting old. It sounds amazing, but the trade offs are just not worth it to me. Having a new car sitting there and idling worse than my wagon with its 302 and B-Cam does not compute. I often find myself raising the rpm enough to kick it out of lope. Shaun's lope is a nasty mother, it is serious. For me it is a tune to load up every now and then for a car show, etc. It is just not a happy experience for daily driving. It also does create a larger amount of exhaust stench. There really is no way to work around that, although Shaun has assured me that his tune is not detrimental to cats. Mine are gone, so this is not an issue.

Mike
Coming from fox bodies myself, having no cats you will smell more fuel, add cam overlap and you'll smell a little more. That's normal for no cats.
Old 3/6/12, 12:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Thank You Gus for feedback.

ShaneGT,

There are no issues with the Automatic tune, I apologize if that is the way it came off. The tune is still going thru the R&D stage. Our first goal was to release the manual then follow up with automatic. It should be ready soon enough, Thank You for your patience.

You under estimate the talent and ability of our Steeda staff. We thoroughly test our products on the street, track, and dragstrip under the most severe conditions - all with the specific intent of ensuring that the products we sell, will NOT precipitate damage to the vehicle or denial of any OEM warranty provisions.

There were many consumers taking the same stance with #8 engine failure and telling anyone that thought of a CAI/Tune to walk away, forget the idea, it will cause your engine to fail. So far Steeda CAI/Tune customers have seen we have zero issues or denials with regard to an OEM warranty when our products have been installed as directed on consumer cars - ZERO!

I will reiterate that Steeda has been working hand-in-hand with Ford Motor Company on a vast array of programs, both OEM for their production programs as well as aftermarket part related programs. We have directly worked with Ford on many critical programs over the years, and we were the pilot company to work together with Ford Motor Company under the Ford/SEMA Technology Sharing Initiative.

Just wanted to keep you informed of the Steeda difference in case you were not aware of how we operate.

Thank You

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 3/6/12 at 12:33 PM.
Old 3/6/12, 12:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Last edited by stang8psi; 10/26/13 at 03:36 PM.
Old 3/6/12, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Again I am not Saying the tune sucks or this and that, Just stating the for warnings of running the "lope" tune With stock cats for A long period of time! Most everyone that has the tune ie AED,lund either takes the tune off due to the smell, or takes the stock mid pipe off...
Old 3/6/12, 01:23 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the info!!!, I will be one of the first to order it, hopefully yall can have it work with my JLT CAI!!

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Thank You Gus for feedback.

ShaneGT,

There are no issues with the Automatic tune, I apologize if that is the way it came off. The tune is still going thru the R&D stage. Our first goal was to release the manual then follow up with automatic. It should be ready soon enough, Thank You for your patience.

Quick Reply: Steeda is Officially Taking Orders on the Cam Idle Tunes