Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Steeda Cold Air Kit for the Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/12, 12:10 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda Cold Air Kit for the Automatic

I purchased the kit for the automatic and have assembled the unit but have not installed it on my car yet. I have read some posts stating that the included tubing for the automatic intake vacuum line was not long enough.
Can anyone chime in as to weather this is true or not. I don't want to have to stop what I'm doing to make a trip to the hardware store if longer tubing is needed.

Thanks
Old 7/8/12, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I actually was able to make the supplied hose work but not to my satisfaction so I went to the parts store and bought a longer piece. It's not really something that is visible but I didn't want it to become disconnected if there was any flexing going on between the cai and the motor so I replaced it. Kinda silly really. I thought my short piece was just a fluke...?
Old 7/8/12, 11:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by going for broke
I actually was able to make the supplied hose work but not to my satisfaction so I went to the parts store and bought a longer piece. It's not really something that is visible but I didn't want it to become disconnected if there was any flexing going on between the cai and the motor so I replaced it. Kinda silly really. I thought my short piece was just a fluke...?
Nope, I had to do the same thing. They cater to the pos mt82 cars which is ultimately hurting their business. There's tons of us with automatics that race our cars and have to go elsewhere for upgrades. I wish steeda would get more involved with the automatics.

Last edited by Mustang Mafia; 7/8/12 at 11:05 PM.
Old 7/9/12, 07:42 AM
GT Member

How long of a piece of tubing did you have to use? I put the 2" included piece on the plastic adapter and let me tell you it was a pain to take it back off. That is why I would like to know the correct length needed to do it right the first time.
Old 7/9/12, 08:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TORMENTOR
How long of a piece of tubing did you have to use? I put the 2" included piece on the plastic adapter and let me tell you it was a pain to take it back off. That is why I would like to know the correct length needed to do it right the first time.
I just bought 6" of hose and then mocked it up to fit. I didn't measure exactly how long it was.
Old 7/9/12, 08:18 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have found that every now and then customers find the tubing to be too short. The weird thing is that it doesn't seem to be consistent (like it was a manufacturing change), it seems to be random.

If you do find it to be too short, you can use heater hose.
Old 7/9/12, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
We have found that every now and then customers find the tubing to be too short. The weird thing is that it doesn't seem to be consistent (like it was a manufacturing change), it seems to be random.

Just a kind thought, maybe include a hose that's about an inch or so longer. That's a better alternative for the consumer then being too short.
Old 7/9/12, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon

No, all you guys are doing is packaging manual size hose into automatic transmission orders. The 5.0 dimensions don't change just your hoses that you send to customers do. Sometimes the packaging guys pay attention and sometimes they are not.
Old 7/9/12, 12:41 PM
GT Member

I just finished installing it. I did have to get a couple of things to make it fit correctly. First off when you install the unit do not try and put the completely assembled unit on at one time. Put the heat shield and filter unit on the car first then install the plastic pipe. It will not fit if you try to do it all at once.
When installing the heat shield you have to reuse the factory bolt that held the factory air box in place, you WILL need a larger washer. I also did need to use a longer rubber tube for the PCV valve line, I cut a 6" piece and it fit perfectly.
I hope this helps with your install.
Since I had 87 octane in the tank I went with the 87 tune for now.
Old 7/9/12, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

My Steeda CAI on my 2012 auto, fit like a glove.
Attached Thumbnails Steeda Cold Air Kit for the Automatic-captured-2050-12-31-00032.jpg  
Old 7/9/12, 11:20 PM
GT Member

Just installed my intake on my 2012 auto and had no issues at all
Old 7/12/12, 06:44 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mustang Mafia
No, all you guys are doing is packaging manual size hose into automatic transmission orders. The 5.0 dimensions don't change just your hoses that you send to customers do. Sometimes the packaging guys pay attention and sometimes they are not.
Our automatic CAIs are packaged differently as there is additional hardware in the automatic kits that is not present in the manual CAI kit. Therefore it is not possible for the scenario you are speaking of to occur.

We take pride in the fact that we manufacture and assemble our parts right here in Valdosta, GA.

If anyone purchases a new Steeda part and does not get everything in the package, please let us know and we would be glad to help you get whatever you are missing. Our assemblers are human and they do (rarely) make mistakes. But as I said, if you notice anything is missing, don't hesitate to let us know and we will take care of it!