Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Delete it
0%
Replace it
100.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Splash guard

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/20, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Splash guard

I'm trying to figure out if the engine splash guard is worth replacing or just deleting. My bolts currently cut through the plastic so at 80mph+ it flaps in the wind. My question is is the airflow really worth replacing it or just delete it. 2014 gt manual. Thx
Old 11/30/20, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

(Edit, had this thought, so reread if needed!) First... as an alternative... get some big dang washers for the bolts? Maybe a *teensy* bit longer bolts? (I'd get ? Might be a solve if the bolts are just goin' through... I'd try that If there's splits or such, speed tape (aluminum duct tape used on home HVACs would be fantastic overall, I'd think, to get those mated. Throw a little Plastex/Plastifix in the cracks maybe, or just the plastic glue/epoxy? Just... it's semi-solvable if it's otherwise intact.

But let's say it's not salvageable. I found this... https://www.carparts.com/details/For...EPF310139.html
Seems you can get this for about this price in a few places. If you'd rather Amazon, well, here:
Amazon Amazon
And if you'd rather, oh, CJ Pony, they have it too.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-air...13-2014/p/AD7/
Real deal Ford part there, not a knock off.

As but suggestions places to get it from, there are others. As far as a knock off vs real deal... I got a knock off set of replacements for my '06 GT with the GT/CS front bumper cover setup, and they fit just dandy, so if that helps ya on that, there ya go.

---

But that's the money/where/who thing. The why of it... you probably want to replace it, as it's there for a reason. It's not just wind, it's rocks. The oil pan doesn't generally like those hitting it. And it may cause cooling/heating issues (depending on the air temps of course) as the air isn't directed where it needs to go, these cooling systems are designed *just so*. Its missing may cause more noise as the deflection of the air through all those nooks and crannies of the engine bay from the underside, might cause whistling or such. There might be a drag increase at speed, affecting MPG at highway cruise, although I'll admit... who the heck cares about that? It's a Mustang GT!

Finally, the hood may jump around as the air plays around in the engine compartment, it's why the '05-09 grilles weren't fully open, why the fog lamps were a thing, or in the V6's and Bullitt's case, the small center opening and the blank off parts. With my very open Shelby GT grille, I notice the hood shake at speed. So there's that consideration. That said, I can't be sure your car's hood would jump about, but I have a feeling it might.

So overall, I'd replace it. But that's me. Even with the cooling/heating issue potential, it seems to me the car overall in 'norminal' conditions will not care one whit about that shield, running wise. For that, it's optional like, oh, a top.

Armed with info, you do you, and that'll be just fine! Hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 11/30/20 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11/30/20, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Welcome to the forums!

(Edit, had this thought, so reread if needed!) First... as an alternative... get some big dang washers for the bolts? Maybe a *teensy* bit longer bolts? (I'd get ? Might be a solve if the bolts are just goin' through... I'd try that If there's splits or such, speed tape (aluminum duct tape used on home HVACs would be fantastic overall, I'd think, to get those mated. Throw a little Plastex/Plastifix in the cracks maybe, or just the plastic glue/epoxy? Just... it's semi-solvable if it's otherwise intact.

But let's say it's not salvageable. I found this... https://www.carparts.com/details/For...EPF310139.html
Seems you can get this for about this price in a few places. If you'd rather Amazon, well, here:
https://www.amazon.com/Evan-Fischer-...dp/B076FS86G3/
And if you'd rather, oh, CJ Pony, they have it too.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-air...13-2014/p/AD7/
Real deal Ford part there, not a knock off.

As but suggestions places to get it from, there are others. As far as a knock off vs real deal... I got a knock off set of replacements for my '06 GT with the GT/CS front bumper cover setup, and they fit just dandy, so if that helps ya on that, there ya go.

---

But that's the money/where/who thing. The why of it... you probably want to replace it, as it's there for a reason. It's not just wind, it's rocks. The oil pan doesn't generally like those hitting it. And it may cause cooling/heating issues (depending on the air temps of course) as the air isn't directed where it needs to go, these cooling systems are designed *just so*. Its missing may cause more noise as the deflection of the air through all those nooks and crannies of the engine bay from the underside, might cause whistling or such. There might be a drag increase at speed, affecting MPG at highway cruise, although I'll admit... who the heck cares about that? It's a Mustang GT!

Finally, the hood may jump around as the air plays around in the engine compartment, it's why the '05-09 grilles weren't fully open, why the fog lamps were a thing, or in the V6's and Bullitt's case, the small center opening and the blank off parts. With my very open Shelby GT grille, I notice the hood shake at speed. So there's that consideration. That said, I can't be sure your car's hood would jump about, but I have a feeling it might.

So overall, I'd replace it. But that's me. Even with the cooling/heating issue potential, it seems to me the car overall in 'norminal' conditions will not care one whit about that shield, running wise. For that, it's optional like, oh, a top.

Armed with info, you do you, and that'll be just fine! Hope that helps!
yeah thats what I found i was curious if it was worth it. Like right now when it flaps my hood flaps too. So I wanna end the hood flapping
Old 11/30/20, 08:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Well, getting would end it, not getting it probably won't.
Old 12/10/20, 08:00 PM
V6 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi i would replace it but that's just me, my original one was the fiber cardboard type and the replacement one i got felt more like it was hardened plastic and alot stiffer so i picked it up but have not replaced it as of yet as i am in the rainy season here in canada and working on it in the rain isn't going to happen besides that the car is parked till april so it will be replaced then, as well as i am looking to get long tube headers and high flow cats to go with the flowmaster outlaw exhaust i have in my garage so one way or another the car will either be driveable or non-driveable. before i attack any of that i currently have the car listed for sale as i need to downsize but if it doesn't sell by april the mini-van will be sold and i'll be driving the Mustang just with the cat-back outlaw exhaust i am at 124.6dB at cold start and 96.4dB at idle at 20 feet so i am guessing the headers will make it more pronounced. Anyhow i would change the splash gaurd as there are a lot of electronics under the car for the steering that might not like a ton of water,but the turbulance under the car would be cut down immensley
The following users liked this post:
Eds5.0 (12/10/20)